Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expanding text creates compound paths?

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

When I select text and click expand it creates compound paths for each letter. It just started happening this afternoon...I'm sure that before it used to just create paths? 

I'm self taught so maybe it's always been that way, but when I look at all my old files none of them are compound paths so I'm confused. Is this normal?

I've tried creating outlines too but it does the same thing (I think that's supposed to happen with create outlines though?)

Thanks,

Heather 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Hi Heather expanding live text has always created a compound path. You need a compound path for letters like "O", but not "C, F, E. rAe you say expanding an "O" would give you 2 paths, but the center not knocked out. Can you please show a screenshot of the result you are desiring from one of your old files?

If you have object checked on that will give you path of which they must be compound when there is a knockout.

MikeGondek_0-1620938648846.png

There is not much of a reason to expand only the fill, and not the object b

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Heather expanding live text has always created a compound path. You need a compound path for letters like "O", but not "C, F, E. rAe you say expanding an "O" would give you 2 paths, but the center not knocked out. Can you please show a screenshot of the result you are desiring from one of your old files?

If you have object checked on that will give you path of which they must be compound when there is a knockout.

MikeGondek_0-1620938648846.png

There is not much of a reason to expand only the fill, and not the object but sounds like that is what you are asking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mike, 

Thanks so much, I actually tried to delete this just after I posted it because I think I've just spent too much time at the screen today and am getting confused and frustrated. The old file I was comparing to I must have changed a lot in it, it's not really comparable. 

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compound paths are necessary to show the "holes" in characters.

Screenshot 2021-05-13 at 22.39.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines