• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Free-form Gradient Problem - Reflecting Objects

Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have run into a problem with a graphic that's going to be large format printed and applied sub-surface to a sign face. The graphics have to be reflected 180° for sub-surface application to clear acrylic. Anyway, the graphic has a few objects with free-form gradient fills applied. When I flip the graphic horizontally the free-form gradient do not flip along with the rest of the graphic. I attached an example. The original graphic is on the left. The one on the right shows what happens with the graphic is flipped to a mirror opposite. The gradients don't follow along correctly. Is there some kind of setting or something I'm missing to prevent this. Or could this be a bug?FreeformGradientErrorExample.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

I can replicate the reflect problem, looks like a bug.

You can report it here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did figure out a possible work-around by using the Expand Appearance command. That makes it possible to flip the object and make the free-form gradients flip with it. But I don't know if the Expand Appearance command is turning those free-form gradients into raster-based objects or something else with fixed resolution. When I un-clip all the masking effects the "expanded" fill is just listed in the tool bar as "non-native art" and shows as a box with an X through it when viewed in outline mode.I

BTW, I have another tid-bit to add. This graphic only works for pasting between one layout to another when sized at relatively small sizes. I tried pasting a large 48" tall version of it (for a window graphic) into another layout and it totally crashed Adobe Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can replicate the reflect problem, looks like a bug.

You can report it here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just posted a similar message there about the freeform gradient issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give a link, so I (and others) can vote?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Illustrator 2015 I cannot reproduce it; maybe  I'm just not making a similar enough construction.

Do you get the same problem on an older version - I know you shouldn't need to use one

Don't really understand ''Expand Appearance  turning those free-form gradients into raster-based objects''

I know that happens when Illustrator identifies complex regions , that it has to rasterize in order to preserve appearance, but I thought  that was only after using flatten transparency,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was no Freeform Gradient in 2015

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Illustrator CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct!

I broke the- don't post when tired rule

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines