• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I recover unsaved files from illustrator cc(2015)?

Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was closing down my files and thought I'd saved the file I was working on, it asked me if I wanted to save but I stupidly said no thinking it was another file I was closing to then realised it was the file I need & I hadn't saved anything all day ( again I thought I had). I have time machine but because i haven't save it at any point today it just goes back to when the files was created - so cross with myself.

Any advice would be great, please help & thank you in advance

Penny

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Penny,

I am afraid it is doomed.

It is always best to save regularly, preferably also under different names and in different places.

You may save manually, and supplement it with autosaving.

To autosave, for CS5/CS6/CC & Win Vista/7/8/10 or Mac OS 10.7+, you can use this (first one is the free version):

http://www.astutegraphics.com/software/autosaviourfree/

http://www.astutegraphics.com/software/autosaviour/

https://forums.adobe.com/message/6616027#6616027

For Mac users with CS6 or CC, the app "Ai Auto Save" can be bought here:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ai-auto-save/id877602617?ls=1&mt=12

Or you can create a Double Action yourself as described here:

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/13272/is-there-an-autosave-feature-in-adobe-illustr...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought Illustrator cc (2005) did an autosave - automatically ? When ia has crashed I always get a recovery file, therefore if i knew the time i would be able to find it somewhere?

i'm so cross with myself as I'm sure I've saved the work ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Penny,

I am afraid you would have been luckier if it had crashed.

Have you made a search for the file (name)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, I wish it had.

I've search the file name, it just opens from the last time I saved which was this morning, not 5:00 this evening. I also have time machine buts its the same problem only saved from this morning.

I'm an idiot, who's going to have a very long night working to redo the work, but is also going to save every 5 sec and hopefully learn a hard & painful lesson.

Thank you so much for your help & time, if you can think of anything else please let me know.

Penny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Penny.

If any consolation at all, hopefully you will be able to do it quicker (especially if you have realized some easier ways underway).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Penny Hartrick schrieb:

I thought Illustrator cc (2005) did an autosave - automatically ? When ia has crashed I always get a recovery file, therefore if i knew the time i would be able to find it somewhere?

i'm so cross with myself as I'm sure I've saved the work ???

Recovery is not the same as autosave. Autosave would save an AI file type. Recovery saves a recovery file that needs to be processed by Illustrator in order to be usable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.

I won't forget to save again, after this.

Thanks

Penny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika,

If a "Data Recovery" file "needs to be processed by Illustrator in order to be usable" shouldn't it be "usable" if one has Illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rcraighead  schrieb

Monika,

If a "Data Recovery" file "needs to be processed by Illustrator in order to be usable" shouldn't it be "usable" if one has Illustrator?

It would be easier if it was, but that's not my decision.

The recovery file cannot be just opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines