• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I reproduce this (geometrical figure with one half filled with a pattern)?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

the graphic designer left the workgroup and I have to learn, reproduce and continue their work.

I am trying to reverse engineer the SVGs they sent us before but I cannot understand how to create these geometrical figures so that half of them (or a part of them) is filled with the diagonal strokes you can see in this picture.

Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 17.29.29.png

The geometrical figures are easy enough, no problem, as well as their division in more or less proportional parts, but how to create those regular strokes?

When I enter isolation mode up to those lines I get this picture:

Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 17.29.19.png

Could you please help me reverse-engineer this?

Thank you very much

 

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Since it's an SVG, this is a clipping mask.

Inside Illustrator you could also use a pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since it's an SVG, this is a clipping mask.

Inside Illustrator you could also use a pattern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

I am just beginning to learn Illustrator (my learning started 2 weeks ago, FYI).

Could you please illustrate (pun intended) me how best to do this? 

Both as a clipping mask and as a pattern. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a clipping mask: create whatever "fill" you want, draw the path on top, select all and Object > Clipping mask > Make

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-23 um 23.02.29.png

For a pattern, use the Pattern editing tool (see documentation) to create a pattern and then apply it. Make patterns horizontal or vertical and rotate them after applying using the transform tools (see documentation)

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/create-apply-patterns.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/no/illustrator/user-guide.html/no/illustrator/using/transforming-objects.ug....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'll do my best to try this but maybe it's better to start from scratch because in the current state of the SVG (attached) I seem unable to select the "fill" (the slanted lines) and make them be applied to a new path.

Creating a new path in a new figure, selecting the lines and the path and then Object > Clipping Mask > Create only makes the lines disappear from the other figure (100% me doing something wrong, just thinking out-loud).

I'll report back if I cannot do this but still, your answer is the correct one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please show screenshots of your process and embed them in your posts. Also: please do include the layers panel, because the stacking order of objects is important for this.

You can copy objects from an existing clipping mask, you would just need toedit it in isolation mode.

I would suggest you read a few chapters of the documentation about handling selections, the layers panel, the isolation mode. Those concepts are important for understanding and editing other peoples' artwork.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update!

By double-clicking to the core I managed to isolate the pattern (or object) that was used to make the fill in the SVG.

Screenshot 2021-03-25 at 12.15.29.png

I then added it to my CC Library so that I could insert it elsewhere. 

Created a path equal to half the pentagon I needed, changed the layer so that it sit on top of that object and made the clipping mask. So, at least, I can work around this. 

My last question is: if I have multiple geometrical figures, can I have all of them be clipping mask for that same object? If so, how?

Right now I have to reinsert the same object multiple times, once per every figure. 

This is what I see: the single lines are what the previous designer did, the frame to the right is what I did.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hy1hu6sgn8ab700/Illustrator%20Clipping%20Mask.mov?dl=0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You would have to first combine all the shapes to a compound path. And then you can make them into a clipping mask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines