• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How change OUTLINES back to original font?

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2010 Aug 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to change text to OUTLINES as the end-user of the file didn't have the font i used.  But, I didn't save the file with the actual font before converting to outlines...yikes!  Now, I want to edit the text, but can't figure out how to change the OUTLINES back to the font.  I did find font, found the font in my SYSTEM, but can't figure out how to make it go back to that font.

i selected the text/outlines, and then did FIND FONT...don't know how to work it!

The Echelon font was changed to OUTLINES.  Now I want to change the OUTLINES back to Echelon so that I can edit the text.  Help!

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Hello,

I just want to bring some update to this topic. You can recreate your text back as editable object directly within Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop using recently published extension that may perform text detection for your currently opened document regardless if it exists as part of bitmap or vector outline. It will not restore original font-face only textual content using actively selected font but this is still better than nothing.

Let me introduce Krasbit Recognition. That extension inclu

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't be done. You should have saved a copy with live text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need all my texts back

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the original font? If so try opening the AI file in Acrobat and using the OCR function to get the outlined type back to text. Then cut and paste into the AI file and format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry: Never heard of this trick. Sounds useful but I can't get the OCR function in Acrobat to work.

I get the message:

Acrobat could not perform recognition (OCR) on this page because:

The resolution of this page is below the minimum of 72 dpi.

The text I was testing was 12 pt (outlined) and the Acrobat file was 300 dpi.

What is Acrobat asking for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that function will work on outlined text. Only on bitmaps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika Gause wrote:

I don't think that function will work on outlined text. Only on bitmaps

Right you are.

So export the font as say a tiff and then perform the OCR and then open the result inAI and copy and paste.

Now you have to remember to turn the visibility of everything but the text off when exporting to a tiff or other raster format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe OCR will work on outlined type if the PDF is flattened. Here is how I do it (in Acrobat 9):

1. Document> Watermark> Add (add a text watermark, hit the space bar once, opacity <100%).

2. Advanced> Print Production> Flattener Preview> Convert all text to outlines (checkbox on). Save.

3. Document> OCR text recognition> recognize text using OCR. Select all text with the type tool, copy, paste into new document.

I do agree with Steve, save an original copy, or save your text on a hidden layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done the same thing.  Luckily it was only one white page with black text in a common font.  Here's how I did it:

Print  outline file to a print-quality PDF (300dpi)

Use Acrobat's (I have Acrobat X Pro) text recognition function:  Tools, Recognize Text, In this file

Export to Word and Save as Word Document

Correct as needed in Word

Place back in InDesign

You can also scan your outlined file in Photoshop at 300dpi, print to PDF, run text recogition...etc.

If your original font was an obscure font or obstructed by graphics/background, OCR may have some problems.

Give it a try!

K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I just want to bring some update to this topic. You can recreate your text back as editable object directly within Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop using recently published extension that may perform text detection for your currently opened document regardless if it exists as part of bitmap or vector outline. It will not restore original font-face only textual content using actively selected font but this is still better than nothing.

Let me introduce Krasbit Recognition. That extension includes also more features and is available at Adobe Exchange for free! Using the service also is free when you configure Google's API connection Key on your own. Otherwise you can use alternative API using trial or cheap prepaid codes.

https://www.adobeexchange.com/creativecloud.details.101113.html

See how it works at YouTube, starting 1':50"

https://youtu.be/DFDAiCFFWYg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I need my text to back"

It doesn't help if you post that 3 times.

It's like converting omelette back to an egg.

There is a plugin available that can perhaps help (if you have the font installed): VectorFirstAid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one App that works perfectly fine I'm using it and it works cake.
Esko OCR text recognitions its a plugin for adobe illustrator,
1-month trial Free, and monthly 32$ subscription,
Since I deal with a lot of outlined text so I used it if you also have worked with a lot of outlined text check this, it will help you.
It First recognizes the reselected outline and converts it to text and shows the relevant font, by clicking the font it converts the text to editable, almost 80% are correct in recognizing the font.
I'm Perfectly satisfied with the Extension

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2022 Feb 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an old topic, but I just had the same issue (totally deleted my stupid font after converting to outlines). 

https://fonts.adobe.com/ has a search by image font recognition function! Worked brilliantly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Take a look at my post. A lot easier. And can be done natively in Illustrator. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lots of people here are giving tricky and expensive answers. I've got a better one. Go into the Illustrator file's history using the history menu (you can enable it from the "Window" tab), and navigate/scroll to the step where the text was added (before it was turned into outlines). Then you can check what typeface was used, go back to the current document state, and rewrite the text using said font. A little bit of work but far better than other options. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@matthews84719307  schrieb:

Lots of people here are giving tricky and expensive answers. I've got a better one. Go into the Illustrator file's history using the history menu (you can enable it from the "Window" tab), and navigate/scroll to the step where the text was added (before it was turned into outlines). Then you can check what typeface was used, go back to the current document state, and rewrite the text using said font. A little bit of work but far better than other options. 

You've looked at the date of this post, right? It's 13 years old. Long before the History panel even existed. And maybe you have also closed a file after outlining the text. Try and check out the History panel after reopening it. Do you find the font? 

And then you also might want to take a look at the new Retype feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines