• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Do I Create an Object That Conforms to Another Object's Shape?

Participant ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

I would like to have some information about how to make an object that would follow the exact path or shape of another object in Illustrator.

Here I have an example of an object (not the exact one that I want to create and use, but similar to the one in blue) that I want to create that would conform to the top part of the butterfly wing that I could later combine with the wing (but keep them both as two separate shapes).

Please let me know how best to accomplish this ...

Thank you!

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

This is one way. As with most things in Illustrator, there are multiple possibilities.

(1) Draw the path for the shape you want for the top of the wing, and close the path so that it overlaps the pink portion.

(2) If you did (1) as a stroke, swap stroke and fill.

(3) Copy the pink wing shape, paste in front. Object menu > Arrange > Bring to Front. ( I've changed the color only to indicate that it's no longer the same path as the original pink.) Select the path from (2) and the front wing shape

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

If you want a shape that is roughly the same, you could draw a lines along that butterfly wing and then apply a blue stroke and add a variable width profile to that.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-09 um 14.59.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

in addition to Tromboniator's post: his workflow is the best if you want to create some area with the certain edge line. But if you want just a line (some "highlighting" for the edge), you can use the following way:
1. Copy your main shape

2021-01-09_17-03-56.png

2. Use scissors to create an open path from the shape. Delete an unwanted part.

2021-01-09_17-06-06.png

3. Set the needed Stroke color, width and profile.

2021-01-09_17-08-23.png

4. Paste the copied shape above (Ctrl+F) or under (Ctrl+B) the line.

2021-01-09_17-11-55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Another way to make areas:

1. Create the main (outer) shape.

2. Using Pen tool, draw the needed line through the shape. Press Esc to stop drawing. Make sure that the line has only Stroke, no Fill.

2021-01-10_12-32-59.png

3. Select both shape and line and click Divide button on Pathfinder panel. It creates a group of 2 closed shapes.

2021-01-10_12-33-52.png

4. Ungroup and set the attributes like you want.

2021-01-10_12-35-27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Participant ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot (2843)_LI.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: There are multiple right answers to this question. Thanks so much to all who have replied to this post 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

you can mark all the right answers as correct 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one way. As with most things in Illustrator, there are multiple possibilities.

(1) Draw the path for the shape you want for the top of the wing, and close the path so that it overlaps the pink portion.

(2) If you did (1) as a stroke, swap stroke and fill.

(3) Copy the pink wing shape, paste in front. Object menu > Arrange > Bring to Front. ( I've changed the color only to indicate that it's no longer the same path as the original pink.) Select the path from (2) and the front wing shape from (3), and in the Pathfinder panel (Window menu > Pathfinder) click Minus Front, as indicated.

(4) The shape from (3) is gone, and the path from (2) now perfectly matches the top of the pink shape.

(5) Shows the paths with matching edges separated.

I can't promise that it's the best way, but it is a way.

Peter

tromboniator_0-1610177651819.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you ... I will look into this process ... if I have any questions, I will let you know. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I am not doing this correctly, but the blue object just merged with the pink wing after doing #3 for me. So I guess you need to select both the blue object and the wing before doing so? That is what I did, however, and it had that result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh ... I forgot to mention ... I wanted the top part to be the same shape as the wing as well. Basically I want to add a separate part for the top of the wing that has a different color and is its own shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want a shape that is roughly the same, you could draw a lines along that butterfly wing and then apply a blue stroke and add a variable width profile to that.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-09 um 14.59.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I tried doing that but could never get the stroke to be perfect if I did things free handedly this way. That's why I wanted a better approach. Maybe in time I will be able to accurately draw out lines that are a lot more accurate, but I always seem to have to edit a lot afterwards and I find that to be time consuming. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, if I keep trying this I guess I will eventually get the result that I want. Thanks again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in addition to Tromboniator's post: his workflow is the best if you want to create some area with the certain edge line. But if you want just a line (some "highlighting" for the edge), you can use the following way:
1. Copy your main shape

2021-01-09_17-03-56.png

2. Use scissors to create an open path from the shape. Delete an unwanted part.

2021-01-09_17-06-06.png

3. Set the needed Stroke color, width and profile.

2021-01-09_17-08-23.png

4. Paste the copied shape above (Ctrl+F) or under (Ctrl+B) the line.

2021-01-09_17-11-55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much ... I will try this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ... I used the scissors tool and cut along the path from the areas you showed me, but how do I get the cut part to be the same shape as the top part of the wing? It cut a straight line for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

set Fill as None. Then the line will have only stroke.

And I would recommend to watch some basic tutorials in Help section: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/shapes-basics.html?playlist=/services/playlist.helpx/prod...

There you'll find the answers for many questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That worked. I had not used the stroke so that was why it hadn't worked before, so thanks for that. 

Is there any way to make the ends of my stroke pointy like yours? Mine is a bit squared off. I'm going to be making the stroke a lot wider, too, for my final design.
Screenshot (2852)_LI.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look carefully at my screenshot at Step №3. There is a Profile list in Control Panel (or in Stroke panel, if you prefer it), and you can choose the shape which matches best to your idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect ... thank you. That worked great 🙂

I am thinking about going Object --> Expand afterwards to make it into an object afterwards. It will be easier to edit with the anchor points and the Direct Selection tool. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to make areas:

1. Create the main (outer) shape.

2. Using Pen tool, draw the needed line through the shape. Press Esc to stop drawing. Make sure that the line has only Stroke, no Fill.

2021-01-10_12-32-59.png

3. Select both shape and line and click Divide button on Pathfinder panel. It creates a group of 2 closed shapes.

2021-01-10_12-33-52.png

4. Ungroup and set the attributes like you want.

2021-01-10_12-35-27.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That worked well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines