• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

_How do I rotate the view in Ai?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 11, 2010 Jul 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_How do I rotate the view in Ai? - seems simple - can't find it....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 122 Replies 122
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2010 Jul 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think you can?

The only program I know that does this is Photoshop!

The answer is you don't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 24, 2010 Sep 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can rotate the view in InDesign too... definitely a feature I'd love to see in AI as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only program I know that does this is Photoshop!

Most digital arts programs have this, not just Photoshop. Corel Painter has had this since forever. In real life, it's handy to turn a page or magazine around to check a design or to more accurately put down a stroke or read a label. Some CAD software has this too.

It's quite handy in programs that support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2014 Dec 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And ArtRage - the better interface ever for drawing with pen, no keyboards.

In many work I drawing in ArtRage (with canvas rotation), and import the bitmpap and trace bitmap in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2014 Dec 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm interested in this feature to design pack. When working with a grid pack, rotation function is the basic artboard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also rotate view in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2016 Aug 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rude answer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When designing a fanzine or a piece where you have to fold, sometimes you have to design rotating the piece. That's why Illustrator should have that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh wow! Someone give this guy an award for the most helpful answer ever given. Geez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be a very useful feature to have though, especially for freehand brushstrokes.

Is this something we can expect in a future release?

Reillet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reillet wrote:

It would be a very useful feature to have though, especially for freehand brushstrokes.

Reillet

Absolutely, I made an argument for this a while back in a feature request I will try again but with tools like the new eraser tool and blob brush and draw inside and bristle brushes this becomes more important as well perhaps some new types of tools to create hand drawn art.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2014 May 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be great to have this feature to work on type. It's really hard to set type upside down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2014 Jun 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely, the draw inside feature is great. But, you only have a certain amount of brushes to use. Otherwise, its back to photoshop for the rendering of forms of your vector shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, even with more brushes, a single stroke couldn't go over more than one shape, so photoshop is still needed to render as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to purchase the new software. Can you draw inside multiple shapes with a single stroke?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2014 Oct 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The name of the software is ILLUSTRATOR, but only just now added elementary features for illustration jobs, like the new features to curves (not even come close to the Expression and its B-splines) and the new features for drawing freehand.

I hope that the rotation of the canvas is in the planning.

O nome do software é ILLUSTRATOR, mas somente agora há pouco adicionaram recursos  elementares para trabalhos de ilustração, como as novas funcionalidades para curvas (mesmo que, ainda não chega aos pés do Expression e suas B-splines) e as novas funcionalidades para desenho a mão livre.

Espero que a rotação do canvas esteja no planejamento.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reillet wrote:

It would be very useful, so no. I would not expect Adobe to add this useful feature in a future version of Illustrator. Nothing Adobe has done with Illustrator suggests they listen to their users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Basically we are just begging here, and hoping....but not expecting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 25, 2010 Sep 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Painter has been doing this since version 1.

I do not consider it of any particular value in a vector drawing program. A vector program works with objects, not pixels.  So you can already draw with a stylus at any "angle" you want.

What would be the functional advantage? You can set the Constrain Angle in Prefs. That effectively "rotates the grid." Any objects that are created based on horizontal/vertical behavior (shape primitives, text) thereafter abide by the Constrain setting. But with or without the Constrain angle altered, freehand tools (Brush, Pencil, Blob, whatever) already draw at the angle you are moving your pointing device. The only difference between this and the feature you think you want from raster imaging programs is that the page display (Artboard) doesn't display as rotated. So what? You can rotate the objects of your freehand sketch any time you want. Again, you are creating OBJECTS, not painting pixels. You don't have the problem inherent in raster programs of inability to easily select and rotate "things you paint" relative to the bounds of the raster image.

Look:

1. Set the Constrain angle to 15 degrees.

2. View>Hide Artboard.

3. View>Show Grid.

4. Rectangle Tool: Click. Enter dimensions corresponding to the Artboard size.

Now "paint" with your stylus. Create some text objects. Draw some LBOs.

5. Explain to me any significant functional difference.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to rotate the artboard can be useful in many situations. The most obvious is probably package design.

Imagine you've got a sophisticated layer structure with loads of locked and unlocked layers and/or objects, for example, and you want to visually examine the package at different angles on the fly (without having to go to Acrobat or another programme as a workaround and without having to release the locked objects).

The same may apply to certain map designs as well as to board game design, circuit diagrams, plant layouts etc.

The vector drawing programme Creaturehouse Expression (nowadays a Microsoft application) has had the ability to rotate the artboard from the beginning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nowadays it is more conceivable to do inking of artworks in a vector application.

Being able to do skeletal strokes and variable widths broadens the possible expressions.

Drawing in vector let you edit and fine tune your strokes at any time in the process.

The hand can do much better curves at a certain angle. It would be only convenient to be able to rotate the view on the fly. It would also mean less tweaking around with the nodes afterward.

It would see it as a step forward and a very valuable asset, other vector applications have already taken this route.

Of coarse this feature is oriented towards tablet input.

-Reillet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 11, 2014 Mar 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, as I work in packaging. And if we are designing a folded carton with several flaps and side panels, we need to be able to rotate the views. We ended up buying Esko Studio Designer plugin for Illustrator in order to have the view rotate for designing purposes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 24, 2014 Apr 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

26 thousand exposures of this topic. Several years of discussion. The new version of the code. New features graphics card.

I continue to design simple packaging of multi-directional reading and cartoonists work has not been improved in 15 years ...

I do not know what you have to say...

It's a simple rotation of the image on the monitor, without changing the style effects, etc. As in the PS Rotate View Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my exact problem. In a package with several layer, some of it locked, it wold be nice to rotate the view to draw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines