• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

_How do I rotate the view in Ai?

Enthusiast ,
Jul 11, 2010 Jul 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_How do I rotate the view in Ai? - seems simple - can't find it....

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 122 Replies 122
Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2016 Jan 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Affinity is growing nicely. I test it constantly. and already I'm missing a little to throw out Ai.

However, I would like to work on Ai but this new interface can be Illustrator® 2-new tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like I mentioned previously, as Affinity innovates rapidly with alternatives to Adobe's flagship products, it should force Adobe to take notice and accomplish something from a feature standpoint in their own software.

Interestingly Adobe Flash (Soon to be re-released as Adobe Animate) will have a rotate canvas feature:

Here’s what you can expect in Animate CC:

• 360° rotatable canvas – Rotate the canvas on any pivot point as you draw to get the perfect angle and strokes. You can even use this feature with a Wacom Cintiq!

Maybe the Illustrator development group can walk over to the Flash development group and inquire how they accomplished that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Too bad I'm using it in Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My art professor taught me to paint and draw with the stationary artboard. That has translated well to the computer and I've never used the "rotate canvas" feature in PS. Probably never will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your professor had designed the side of the box product upside down... ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha! Probably not. That's where I'd use a symbol and work right side up, then rotate the symbol.

I don't care if this feature is introduced, I just feel there are more important tools that need to be fixed or improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course we use symbols for this purpose, but the symbols Ai have their limitations, eg. Not allowed to use graphic link ... crazy wheel.

"Have you checked out Affinity" — sorry?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2016 Sep 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This topic started off in 2010, 6 years later we still don't have a solution Adobe!

I am in packaging field, making some copy changes on the existing artwork for the side panel - Client has decided to add in extra copies to the ingredient info list so we have to readjust the position and size of the text boxes. I had to rotate the whole art, made my tweaks and realign my objects, rotate the art back.

What worse?

Turned out we have 10 different packs of the same size, I had to repeat these steps 10 times. Things starting to jump on the presentation deck cause of poor alignments - I couldn't have all my 10 files opened and rotate at the same time to use cmd+B paste in place, it's artwork files with heavy high res links, my illustrator will crash.

Any further changes on the next round, me and my team will have to repeat the above steps. 

When 20 rounds of refinements are pretty common in the branding/packaging industry, this totally doesn't make sense to me.

10 packs of the same size are quite normal, sometimes we have 30 or above, it's not cost and time efficient at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also do packaging... this is why I design in InDesign which I much prefer anyway... printing houses have the complete Adobe Suite anyway. And I use Master templates for products that have a variety of flavours...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 30, 2016 Sep 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to use Indesign. My client uses packagers that demand Illustrator, on top of that Illustrator CS6. No fun at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Um. InDesign does this as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My food manufacturer client requires everything be 100% built in a specific version of Illustrator. Many groups require Illustrator. I don't get to choose software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! yes. I understand perfectly, I have that issue myself and need Illustrator to have that feature. That InDesign reply was for this post:

Bit rude, Wade…

Correct Answerby Wade_Zimmerman on Jul 11, 2010 4:57 AM

What makes you think you can?

The only program I know that does this is Photoshop!

The answer is you don't!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I didn't see context, you're right!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding my voice the the 6 year old chorus... working in packaging design and would love to be able simply roate the canvas!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be nice to have some answer from AI team like:

Hey guys, we're not ignoring You, this is just horribly difficult to add and we have got a separate team of programmers working on it in the basement since last 5 years. They have been told they will never see the sunlight until the feature does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2017 Nov 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest everyone who wants this to go over to the uservoice page, have a vote and perhaps comment.

Illustrator - Rotation of the Artboard – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

package design upsidedown areas: solution was to choose all and rotate all 180 degrees. grid alignement is lost though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello World!

2019 and this is still a wish...
My coworker is working on some upside down food packaging, editing everything that way LOL
I started searching, found this thread

and then thought to myself: what about the 3D Rotate Effect?
This idea is in its birth; you could basically add that effect (Effects -> 3D -> Rotate) but still have the original artwork un-rotated + editable for normal "viewing"

Just my 2 "aurar".

-G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2019 Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that's what you wanted, you could do the same thing with the Transform effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah as long as it's the "live" effect 'Transform' I guess

The rotate canvas (or view) feature would of course be fantastic but I think it might be too complicated to represent rotated XY vectors on a low-level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe is suck for understanding user experience, why they created a community website if they leave it. 

2010 until 2019 still dont have the rotate view??!! wht a shame, I am sure any user need this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines