• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to copy an artboard to a new document on its own layer in a specific place?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any help will be greatly appreciated! I have no idea how to go about making this script

I need help with copying an artboard and its content (on multiple layers) from one document, to a specific location and rotation on a separate opened template file (on a single existing layer). It will be used to copy multiple ongoing iterations of labels of the same size onto a document with specified locations for cut lines for many labels on a single page 🙂 

TOPICS
Print and publish , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I'd suggest doing is writing your "script" in "pseudo" code. Just write each step that needs to take place step-by-step. If you need to maintain the elements on descrete layers I'd suggest encorporating an Illustrator Action that temporarily turns on "Paste Remembers Layers" then turns it off again. I've found this VERY helpful in a script I use regularly. Here's a link to the action: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zyf2l9h4o6xvuot/Set%201.aia?dl=0

If you post the pseudo code maybe someone here can provide a starting point for your script.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Select artboard*
*Run script*

Copy selected artboard

Open Illustrator template file

Paste at each of the seven destination co-ordinates: 
1. X= 28.5mm/Y= 123.425mm
2. X= 28.5mm/Y= 210mm

3. X= 28.55mm/Y= 296.575mm
4. X= 193.5mm/Y= 123.425mm

5. X= 193.5mm/Y= 210mm

6. X= 193.5mm/Y= 296.575mm
7. X= 318.5mm/Y= 210.69mm (@270°)

Hopefully this explains it well 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is what you want to use. But, did you know that you can create multiple blank artboards, and then create your layout on one of the artboards, then select all of the art on just that one arboard, copy it then go to Edit menu and select "Paste on all artboards"? This will paste your objects in the same position on all of the other artboards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I very nearly could get this to work! I just I need one of the artboards to rotate, and would have to delete the label which attaches to the main artboard. I've attached an image of what the template looks like 🙂 

I basically want a label that would be designed on a separate document to copy over into the outlined areas on this template (the magenta outlines are the cutting paths, ideally don't want to change the format).

Label Print TemplateLabel Print Template

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines