• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create an object that is an outline of a group of unclosed objects?

Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to outline a group of unclosed objects to create an object that is a combination of all the others but without any of the interior lines? I realize that I can select just the lines along the perimeter, cut all the extending lines one by one and join them, but is there a more expedient way?

Group of unclosed objects:
flower.JPG

Just the objects along the permiter:
flower w internal lines.JPG

The unclosed objects will not join properly:
flower outline.JPG

The goal is to get an outline of this shape:
flower solid.JPG

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

I'm assuming that A: you want to keep a copy of the original group and B: the original group's open paths are all strokes with no fill. This is not a problem; it just means that the final path will have a stroke of the original paths' fill.

tromboniator_0-1614497186874.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 27, 2021 Feb 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm assuming that A: you want to keep a copy of the original group and B: the original group's open paths are all strokes with no fill. This is not a problem; it just means that the final path will have a stroke of the original paths' fill.

tromboniator_0-1614497186874.png

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter! You were correct to assume that the original group's open paths are all strokes with no fill. There were still some interior points I had to delete (see below), not sure why, but it was still much more efficient.
flower solid w holes.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, Lana, I'm glad you found it useful. Did you do the last two steps? If so, try it again, it might fix it. Of course, if you've moved on it's not necessary; I'm just curious.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did do the last two steps. However, the group is pretty messy, drawn freehand with some paths that don't meet and others that twist around a point - at least that's what I noticed when I was cleaning it up. All in all, it was a huge time saver and I'll be using this procedure frequently in the future. Thanks again! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, thank you, I appreciate the information. Always glad to know how my 'children' behave once they leave home!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines