Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to draw a triangle within a polygon

Explorer ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I'm trying to draw a triangle within a 6 sided polygon, and then within the triangle, another series of three small triangles meet at the centre (and are equal). You can see my hatchet attempt below. I am coming into problems at a number of stages, and I don't know if what I am doing is the best approach - this is not how I would draw this on paper!

I used the triange tool to create the first inner triangle. But then I had trouble lining up the corners. And when I used the path menu to divide the polygon below, I discovered I had overextended my corners. I was expecting to have to use the scissor tool to cut the joined corners of the smaller triangles, so I could reflect them to create the inner three trianges - which are meant to be all joined together neatly, no spaces, and perfectly aligned. Instead, because of the overshoot I had my distinct triangles, but when I reflected them, they were all out of whack. I tried to fix them by aligning the corners vertically and horizontally, but now I have spaces. I'm trying to fit these all neatly and perfectly within the shapes.

I then tried to replicate how I might draw a triangle on paper, by drawing a line from the midpoint of one side of a polygon to a vertice, but all I ended up doing was deleting an anchor point on my polygon. I couldn't find any info online on this!

polygon-triangle-attempt.jpg

Any hlp would be appreciated.

thank you

Rebecca

TOPICS
Draw and design

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Actually, something more like the way you would do it on paper might be easier. Here's a possible way, using Smart Guides to help you:

1) After drawing the hexagon with the Polygon Tool, select the Line segment Tool and And draw between alternate corners to make the equilateral triangle shape. Smart Guides will show you when you're exactly on each corner.

2) Still with the Line Segment Tool, draw a line from each vertex of the triangle to the opposite corner of the hexagon.

3) Select one of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide , Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

I would suggest the next way:

1. Draw a hexagone and rotate it to set sides vertical.

2021-03-28_12-39-02.png

2. Duplicate it (Ctrl+C > Ctrl+F) and delete the needless points using Pen tool (Pen-).

2021-03-28_12-40-16.png

3. Select all and click Divdie button in Pathfinder panel. Ungroup.

2021-03-28_12-41-20.png

Now you can delete the main triangle if you don't need it anymore.

4. Duplicate the external triangles (Ctrl+C > Ctrl+F) and reflec them using Reflect tool. Set the axis for each reflection as the respective main triangle side.

2021-03-28_12-42-48.png 2021-03-28_12-45-18.png

For the best appearance s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Rebecca,

Illy (job description Adobe Illustrator) can always do things in at least three ways, and she likes to play with them.

You can also (Smart Guides and Show Center (Attributes panel) are your friends):

1) Create the hexagon and rotate it by 30 degrees,

2) Create a triangle with the same Radius and snap its top Anchor Point to the top Anchor Point of the hexagon,

3) Click the hexagon so its centre shows, then

a) Press the P key and click the centre and one corner, then repeat for the

Votes

Translate

Translate

You're welcome, Rebecca.

I keep finding new ways to do this:

1) Using the Line Segment Tool or the Pen Tool, connect two points skipping one between, and the same first point to the center point.

2) With both line segments from step 1 selected, click the center point with the Rotate Tool.

3) Click and hold on one of the endpoints of the longer selected line, hold down the opt/alt key, and drag in either direction around the hexagon, bypassing the first vertex and connecting to the second

Votes

Translate

Translate

While we are at it, here is another one:

Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 01.22.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, something more like the way you would do it on paper might be easier. Here's a possible way, using Smart Guides to help you:

1) After drawing the hexagon with the Polygon Tool, select the Line segment Tool and And draw between alternate corners to make the equilateral triangle shape. Smart Guides will show you when you're exactly on each corner.

2) Still with the Line Segment Tool, draw a line from each vertex of the triangle to the opposite corner of the hexagon.

3) Select one of the paths from step 2, then choose the Scissors Tool, and when Smart Guides shows that the tool is over the intersection of the three lines, click to cut, select the portion of the line that you don't want, and delete it. Repeat with the other two paths.

4) You should be left with the design you want.

Peter

tromboniator_2-1616923186642.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest the next way:

1. Draw a hexagone and rotate it to set sides vertical.

2021-03-28_12-39-02.png

2. Duplicate it (Ctrl+C > Ctrl+F) and delete the needless points using Pen tool (Pen-).

2021-03-28_12-40-16.png

3. Select all and click Divdie button in Pathfinder panel. Ungroup.

2021-03-28_12-41-20.png

Now you can delete the main triangle if you don't need it anymore.

4. Duplicate the external triangles (Ctrl+C > Ctrl+F) and reflec them using Reflect tool. Set the axis for each reflection as the respective main triangle side.

2021-03-28_12-42-48.png 2021-03-28_12-45-18.png

For the best appearance set rounded corners in Stroke panel.

2021-03-28_12-47-11.png

I added here some coloring to show the result better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Anna and Peter. I ended up using Anna's solution, but both were very helpful, and much easier!

thanks again

Rebecca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rebecca,

Illy (job description Adobe Illustrator) can always do things in at least three ways, and she likes to play with them.

You can also (Smart Guides and Show Center (Attributes panel) are your friends):

2) Create a triangle with the same Radius and snap its top Anchor Point to the top Anchor Point of the hexagon,

3) Click the hexagon so its centre shows, then

a) Press the P key and click the centre and one corner, then repeat for the other two, or

b) ClickDrag with the Line Segment Tool from the centre to each corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jacob!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, Rebecca.

I keep finding new ways to do this:

1) Using the Line Segment Tool or the Pen Tool, connect two points skipping one between, and the same first point to the center point.

2) With both line segments from step 1 selected, click the center point with the Rotate Tool.

3) Click and hold on one of the endpoints of the longer selected line, hold down the opt/alt key, and drag in either direction around the hexagon, bypassing the first vertex and connecting to the second.

4) Press cmd/ctrl + D to repeat the rotation and duplication of the two lines.

Since you already have a usable answer, this is just for fun.

Peter

tromboniator_0-1616970293615.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While we are at it, here is another one:

Screenshot 2021-03-29 at 01.22.42.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! So many ways of doing things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, there may be more 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, Rebecca.

I meant it when I said at least three.

You can also, just based on the original set of hexagon and triangle (with Round Corners, of course):

3) Copy the triangle from 2) and lock either, then (with the other one selected) Object>Path>Add Anchor Points, then deselect and DirectSelect the new middle Anchor Points (avoiding the hexagon centre if it is set to show, you can Click or Click Drag over each; if it is hidden you can just ClickDrag over all three middle Anchor Points), then Object>Path>Average (with Both ticked), then unlock the other triangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines