• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to edit existing text in Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to update an address on an .ai file. I selected the layer of type I want to edit, but I can't figure out what to do from there. Help?

Thanks,

Jill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Illustrator are you using?

Also, can you describe how you select the type object? What tool are you using? Selection or Direct Selection tool? Type tool?

Please elaborate a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's on the Creative Suite, I think it's 25.2.1? To select the text layer I went into layers and selected the group the type was in to change it. I figure out how to delete, but if I try to use the T tool to edit the text that doesn't work.  I attached a screen shot if that helps at all.illustratorscreenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working with a template you purchased?

Many designers outline the text. They expect you to delete it and type your own text in the same area with the same orientation. Use the Type tool to create and format new text. You could hide their sample text to check your orientation and placement until your are happy with what you have, then delete it.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/how-to/text-basics.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jill,

Are we looking at live (unoutlined) Type?

If we are, what happens if you Click between two of the letters in (one of) the address instance(s) with the Type Tool, then try to delete the unwanted letters and insert the wanted ones?

If you mishit, you just create a new live Type instance which needs to be deleted before you start over.

It would be easier to see if you select the Type instance(s) you wish to change (so we can see that/whether it is live).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the screenshot.

Are you sure that we are talking about live (editable) type objects? Or probably type that has already been converted to paths?

Can you perhaps share the Illustrator file (.ai), so one may take a look at it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jill,

The more I look at the Layers panel, the more I tend to agree with Kurt that it is probably a Group of outlined Type instances.

Have you worked on the AI document from the beginning, or have you received it from someone?

In the latter case, the Type may very well have been outlined,

Have you (received) the font(s) (to be) used?

Hi Kurt. Midnight is nigh, and with it time to attend to other duties, in the dark hours, before the sun rises again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This file was created by a designer and I do believe the text is outlined. I have the fonts used and will probably just delete (or at least hide those layers) until I have everything linee up correctly. As you can tell, I have little idea what I'm doing in AI. I mostly use PS and LR, so similar but not the same, obviously. 😉 How would I share the .ai file for further information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The easiest way to share a file is through the CC app, or you can use another file sharing service. Start by reading the Help file (above).

Text is similar to PS in some ways, but so much better!

• Click to create Point Type or Drag to create Area Type
  • You can convert from one to the other
  • Format with Type tool using the Control panel (similar to options bar in PS) or Character and Paragraph panels
  • Move and resize with Selection tool (similar to PS Move tool)
  • Rotate with Rotate tool or Transform panel or Selection tool, to name a few
  • Drag guides from the Ruler before you start. They will go on the current layer.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who would I share it to through the app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
@JillBJones wrote:

How would I share the .ai file for further information?

Who would I share it to through the app?

I'm confused. First you asked how and now you are asking who. If you want to share, just post the link so whoever sees it first can answer. We are volunteers and in different time zones around the world.

A question to you: what information do you want to gain from sharing the file? We can see how it structured by looking at it. If you have questions, you can just ask here.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines