• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to place vector artwork within a line of text?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there used to be a way to insert custom graphics within a line of type by simply copying them from the artboard, and then pasting with the type cursor selected, but I'm not finding that functionality any more. In this case, I'm pasting large custom quote marks (that differ from the font's quotes) within the text. I'm doing this multiple times and need the custom marks to behave as part of the text itself.  Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 4.21.59 PM.png

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

InDesign can do that, paste a graphic into a textflow, but Illustrator cannot use inline graphics.

You may want to create your own font for that purpose; https://www.fontself.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

As Ton said, that is not possible in Illustrator. As a poor workaround you could select the graphic and apply a text wrap under the Object menu. Position the graphic and group it with the text. Unfortunately, if the text needs to be edited, the graphic will not flow or move move with the edited text. You would need to move the graphic manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign can do that, paste a graphic into a textflow, but Illustrator cannot use inline graphics.

You may want to create your own font for that purpose; https://www.fontself.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2021 Jun 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Ton said, that is not possible in Illustrator. As a poor workaround you could select the graphic and apply a text wrap under the Object menu. Position the graphic and group it with the text. Unfortunately, if the text needs to be edited, the graphic will not flow or move move with the edited text. You would need to move the graphic manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all the replies & suggestions; I must have been recalling that functionality in inDesign (or Freehand, going way back). I haven't tried Fontself, but that's good to know about, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there used to be a way to insert custom graphics within a line of type by simply copying them from the artboard, and then pasting with the type cursor selected, but I'm not finding that functionality any more. In this case, I'm pasting large custom quote marks (that differ from the font's quotes) within the text. I'm doing this multiple times and need the custom marks to behave as part of the text itself.  Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 4.21.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may be thinking of Freehand or of InDesign's anchored objects. (See also this thread.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd,

Far from what you wish, but there is this for CC,
http://www.fontself.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate post, post merged

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, Ton.

At least we are consistent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As we are most of the time 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines