Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to reset Illustrator Preferences

Sep 11, 2019 Sep 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backup and Reset Illustrator Preferences on Windows Backup and Reset Illustrator Preferences on macOS

To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (macOS) as you start Illustrator. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Illustrator.

To manually restore preferences to default

Remove or rename the Adobe Illustrator Preferences file. When you restart Illustrator, a new preference file will be created in the original location.

Folder location:

macOS: <OSDisk>/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator <version number> Settings/en_US*/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

Anshul_Saini_0-1655319666266.png

A simple way to access user library in Mac.

Windows: <OSDisk>\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator <version number> Settings\en_US*\x64\Adobe Illustrator Prefs

*If you need to keep a backup of the old Preferences, copy the folder to the desktop or simply rename it.

Here’s a help article with more details: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/setting-preferences.html

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always recommend that after trashing preferences and then resetting up the program as you like it, it is extremely helpful to make a copy of the new (pristine) preference file and store it somewhere handy. That way if ever you have a preference related problem and need to trash preferences you can simply substitute the corrupt file with (a copy of) the pristine one and all of your favorite settings are ready to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 16, 2019 Sep 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's indeed a great workflow Bill!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea. I do a lot of reprints for customers I've had for decades iso I appreciate how vital good organization of run dates, legacy versions, and color preferences are a MUST if you want to keep your customers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 20, 2019 Sep 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it's those long-term clients are what keeps any company in the black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the file folder names and location of this changed? I looked under

<OSDisk>/Users/<username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator <version number> Settings/en_US*/

and there are three folders related to Illustrator (see below). It's strange because I only have version 24.2.1 installed, but it's still showing the old version "23 Settings" folder.

In addition, the folder lstings / location are not as previously described.

Screenshot 2020-07-28 14.57.47.pngScreenshot 2020-07-28 14.58.21.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should command-option-shift at launch work for Illustrator 2021? I've been trying and it doesn't seem to. Or does it just reset without a dialog like Photoshop gives?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it should work, it does not give you a warning that it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The comand+option+shift on macOS WORKED PERFECTLY! Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines