• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to turn off auto-embed?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of a sudden, every time I place an image in Illustrator CS, the file automatically embeds. How do I turn this function off? I am running 21.1.0 and I'm on a Mac.

Thx.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

In the dialog you see after choosing File > Place, you must click the Options button. Then you can check on Link.

You used to always see those options. Recent versions of macOS changed that, and now Apple hides the options... making you click the Options button to see them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of AI are you using? As well what OS and version? Are you using File>Place to insert the image in the file and is the Link box in the Options dialog checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Illustrator CS latest version 21.1.0 and Mac Sierra 10.12.6. If I use File>Place, I don't get additional options. I don't get a dialogue box where I can uncheck embed. I can only navigate to the desired file, select it, it then becomes attached to the cursor so that when I click, it is placed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the dialog you see after choosing File > Place, you must click the Options button. Then you can check on Link.

You used to always see those options. Recent versions of macOS changed that, and now Apple hides the options... making you click the Options button to see them.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is brilliant. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very welcome! I honestly don't know why Apple changed that.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I'm using Illustrator 24.0.3 on Mac Os High Sierra 10.13.1 and for some reason when I place a file into Illustrator and then click on 'options' in the dialogue box and click on 'link' it still auto embeds the file. Is there is way to fix this? It's never been a problem before now.

Although I have noticed that if I unclick on 'link', it still embeds the file, but I can still atleast see the name of the file. So I guess that solves half of the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, very frustrating and easy fix once you read on: I found that by relinking the image make sure you check/select the LINK button on the bottom left of the window —always keep that selected and you should be fine after that.Links box checked.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines