• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to turn off Snap to Pixel Grid?

Engaged ,
Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I created a file with Snap to Pixel Grid turned on.

Can't figure out how to turn this off.

Created a new file without Pixel Grid Snap enabled and pasted the art into it...still had trouble with aligning points correctly. Harumph!

Anyway, could someone please tell me how to turn off Snap To Pixel Grid?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 29, 2011 Apr 29, 2011

Use the transforam palette to turn that off in the flyout menu.

Untitled-3.jpg

You also have another setting on the bottom of the transform palette.

Also check to amek sure you have view >> snap to grid turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the transform-palette. There are two options: directly in the palette for the selected object and in the palette menu for all further objects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the transforam palette to turn that off in the flyout menu.

Untitled-3.jpg

You also have another setting on the bottom of the transform palette.

Also check to amek sure you have view >> snap to grid turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

Terrific! You know, I wish the ability to turn this on and off was also in the Document Setup; I mean, the one you can access after a document is created. It is in the New Document window that the "feature" is turned on...Document Setup is one of the first placed I looked to turn it off. I also checked Preferences, especially in the Grids and Guides sections.

Anyway, thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh! Even better yet the new document dialog settings are sticky just uncheck it and and never bother to check it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2014 Oct 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, but I've tried checking and unchecking these options but it seems to have no effect. My objects continue to snap at 9px increments using both the keyboard and pointer. Illustrator was never like that for me before, but suddenly in the middle of the document, I don't know how it got that way.

Any more possible options causing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2014 Nov 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Indesign CC, and I cannot find the "Align to pixel grid" option in the "Transform" window.

Everything is aligning to every 1 pixel in the pixel grid, and I cannot figure out how to turn it off.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in Illustrator, not in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, it will ask in the InDesign forum. My bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since I couldn't find a complete answer, I did a quick blog post showing all four solutions:

http://www.sarasjodin.com/2013/06/place-objects-exactly-illustrator/

Let me know what you think!
...since I'm planning to create more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your fourth "solution" is not true. The Align To Pixel Grid behavior is not an application-level setting that gets "remembered" just because you save a file. It's a document-specific settings. Whether it is on when you create a new document is dependent upon which document profile or template you have selected in the New Document dialog. The option is turned on in the provided web-centric templates and document profiles.

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! Thanks for quick feedback JETalmage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest instructions would be "Read the instructions."

PixelGrid.png

JET

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2013 Aug 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this thread is a few months old, but thought I'd give another quick solution.

When creating your new document the default is *usually* Web, change the profile to Basic RGB and it will have the 'Align to Pixel Grid' turned off. Create the document and then you can close it out without saving. Creating the document is key in that Illustrator will remember the last profile you used when creating new documents so moving forward it will default to Basic RGB unless you create another document with a different profile.

I rarely remember to turn off the align to pixel grid setting so this saves me a step.

- Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 08, 2014 Mar 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to thank all those who explained/displayed how to turn this off in the Transform panel. Having to turn it off on each new object and then move the anchor points has been, needless to say, a wear out. Thank you for taking the time to post the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2014 Apr 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to add a tip for Illustrator CC - in the case that you ALREADY have an object created that is undesirably snapping to the pixel grid.
The option to toggle this, as mentioned above, IS available at the bottom of the Transform dialog box, but by default this option is now hidden - you need to choose 'Show Options' in the flyout menu, then it will appear at the bottom of the panel.

Screen Shot 2014-04-26 at 08.58.11.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2015 Aug 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a unacceptably obscure location to disable such a disruptive feature. And the fact that every time Adobe updates its software it turns back on makes it even worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2016 Nov 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a horrible default setting. Adobe should not put 3 snap checks and add a 4th.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2016 Feb 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator is a vector based tool so why is this function to align it to a pixel grid is on by default?!

It really distorts and moves around the shape(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SarinaMeester schrieb:

Illustrator is a vector based tool so why is this function to align it to a pixel grid is on by default?!

It really distorts and moves around the shape(s).

It's only on by default when you allow it to be.

When setting up a new (RGB) document you can turn it off.

Or turn it off in all new documents by editing the new document profile(s)

Startup Profiles – A Great tool to Customize your New Documents « Adobe Illustrator blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is this function on by Default with the "Web" Profile when creating a New Document and not with the rest of the Document Profiles (Print + Devices + Video and Film + Basic RGB)?

Worst feature ever if you ask me, when creating a New Document you will miss this Option because most users don't open(or look at) the Advanced tab & just want to Design asap.

To be honest I really think it's just very confusing for the users, also to "check" if this Function even been "Checked" on/off when you're working within a (new)Document.

Now I know how to change it when it's been checked on (within the extra Options selection of the Transform tool), but this could be handled differently for sure.

I did change my own Document Profile now -  thank you for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is really annoying. When I place a logo it deforms the shape because of this snapping to pixel option.

Adobe, please change this options keeping as default.

Screenshot 2018-05-15 09.57.46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ShijuHAH  schrieb

Adobe, please change this options keeping as default.

Are you referring to the option "Align to pixel grid"?

It doesn't even exist anymore. Maybe you should update?

Also: you can make your own document profiles that have the option turned off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No.

I am talking about the 'Snap to Pixel' in the 'View' menu

Screenshot 2018-05-15 12.58.28.png

Is there an option to turn it off as default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ShijuHAH  schrieb

No.

I am talking about the 'Snap to Pixel' in the 'View' menu

Screenshot 2018-05-15 12.58.28.png

Is there an option to turn it off as default?

Turn it off in the New document profile.

Startup Profiles – A Great tool to Customize your New Documents « Adobe Illustrator blog  (don't be irritated by the mention of any CS version in this. It still applies today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines