• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am trying to open Illustrator CS6 layered file in Illustrator CC, but the layers get flattened?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am new to Illustrator CC and I have an Illustrator CS6 file which has layers, I am trying to open that in the new Illustrator CC, but it flattens the layers and I can't edit any of it. It becomes an image file? It's so frustrating! Can someone suggest any solutions to it please?

Thank You

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 files should open in CC without issues, 

do you have CS6 installed? are you actually opening the file in CS6 to confirm it has layers?

can you share the file to have a look at it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You Carlos, I do not have CS6 installed anymore, my OS won't let me install it! But I had just created, and saved this AI file about two-three weeks back, before I upgraded my system, and when I had to get new CC. And I had not touched it after I created the first time. All my other files open up fine, and with layers, it's just this one file.

Thank you for offering to take a look at the file, how can I send it to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

upload your file to Google Drive, dropbox, Creative Cloud, OneDrive or similar, and post the link to it here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you again, and greatly appreciate your time and efforts to look into this! Here's the link

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17_wys7kqEAtS3Z5yXv_aZyNmO2ljWn_T&authuser=mehul%40khabar.com&usp=d...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome, the file is not shared though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the Photoshop Import Options dialog opening the file in both CS6 and CC. The contents of the file is Raster Image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm! that's so weird, I may have accidentally rasterized it! I swear I had created it as a layer file! Oh well it seems I may just have to rebuild it, it's not a big deal. But I was just frustrated, why it wouldn't work. Thank You again. Take care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It could have gone corrupt and all that's left is the PDF part of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines