Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Illustrator 2020 Hangs and Very Slow When Saving on Windows 10

Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Illustrator install is taking a very long time to save. I thought it had been certain project files, but now it's doing it all the time. Even blank new projects are taking a while to open and the program has a spinning wheel, and that's after trying to fix it.

It started about last week.

I had version 24.2.3

Things I've tried:

1. Deleted preferences manually.
  2. Uninstalled, removing preferences option, and reinstalled
  3. Downgraded to 24.2.0, which was a stable release from June.
  4. Clear preferences by holding Ctrl+Alt+Shirt on opening program (in Windows)
  5. Tried saving just a black sqaure with dropshadow and it still takes 6 minutes to get to the Illustrator Options window, then 4 more minutes actually trying to save it.

Screenshot of not responding when trying to save this simple file:

FryerM_0-1598030250485.png

My Computer

• Windows 10 Home - 1909
  • Dell G5 5590
  • 16gb ram
  • Intel i7-9750H 2.60Ghz
  • GeForce RTX 2060
TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020
Thank you everyone for replying. I read and tried many of the things listed, but I ended up finding the problem and to me this seems more like a core problem with how Illustrator functions then an error with my computer. I'll list the order of what I tried below. What I found is that Illustrator depends on a stable internet connection to save. Two weeks ago I switched from running my network on cable internet to running the network router off a mobile hotspot. It runs fine to stream HD video and...

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020
Thank you everyone for replying. I read and tried many of the things listed, but I ended up finding the problem and to me this seems more like a core problem with how Illustrator functions then an error with my computer. I'll list the order of what I tried below. What I found is that Illustrator depends on a stable internet connection to save. Two weeks ago I switched from running my network on cable internet to running the network router off a mobile hotspot. It runs fine to stream HD video and...

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that the most current version of Windows?

Can you try and disable "Save in background" in the preferences?

Does this happen when you save onto the local harddisk and into a non-synchronized folder?

Is Illustrator the only running application on the computer?

I suppose the filename cotains only standard characters and also isn't too long?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. I'd recommend using the latest version of Adobe Illustrator(v24.2.3). Also, please update Windows 10 & GPU to the latest version.

You may also try booting into safe mode and see how app is performing there. Let us know if it helps.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running the latest version of illustrator (24.2.3) in a mackbook pro 2019 and it's taking forever to save! 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for replying. I read and tried many of the things listed, but I ended up finding the problem and to me this seems more like a core problem with how Illustrator functions then an error with my computer. I'll list the order of what I tried below.

What I found is that Illustrator depends on a stable internet connection to save. Two weeks ago I switched from running my network on cable internet to running the network router off a mobile hotspot. It runs fine to stream HD video and such but the connection isn't stable. I found when I was connected to the internet my saving and opening file problems persisted, but IMMEDIATELY after I disabled my network adapters Illustrator stopped hanging and started to save normally. This also explains why the problem was sometimes intermittent, saving fine when my connection was stronger. I switched on and off my internet a bunch of times, turning it on and off before and in the middle of saving and it was definitely the issue. 

I uploaded a video to youtube show this happening: https://youtu.be/eGULdnsanlI 

*You'll see that at first it saves fine with no internet, then I reconnect to the internet and the saving hanging starts, but IMMEDIATELY when I disable the ethernet adapter to the internet it begins saving.

In the mean time I'll just disable my internet when saving with Illustrator :'D

STEPS I TOOK

- Note: this was for all file saving, opening, & creating operations, including blank files and files that were a single shape to hundreds of megabytes. It would hang for minutes for each of these operations.

1. Windows was up to date - NO
  2. Turned Background Save off - NO
  3. Saving to Non-sync Folders - NO
  4. Turn off all startup programs, only running illustrator - NO
  5. Update Graphics card Driver to latest - NO
  6. Increase max pagefile from auto of 2,688 Mb to Max of 16,384 Mb - NO
  7. Updated Illustrator from 24.2.0 to latest of 24.2.3 - NO
  8. Cleared Preferences (again) by holding Ctrl+shift+alt on startup - NO
  9. Turned off Internet adapters YES
    1. savings working without internet connection
    2. Immediately starts hanging on file saving/opening with internet connection
    3. Had switched two weeks ago from cable internet to running home network on mobile hotspot. Can stream HD video and such, but it is less stable.
  10. Deleted OOBE folder contents -NO (had internet turned on)
I tried lots of things but in the end it was that I was on an unstable internet connection of a mobile hotspot. For some reason Illustrator really needs a st...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset Your OOBE Option 3

• Quit the Creative Cloud desktop app 
  • Browse to the following location based on your operating system.
  • WINDOWS

• C:\Users\<user folder>\AppData\Local\Adobe\OOBE 
  • The AppData folder is hidden in Windows by default. See Show hidden files, folders, filename extensions | Windows for instructions to access it.
  • Delete all the files within the OOBE folder, but do not delete the folder itself.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for replying. I read and tried many of the things listed, but I ended up finding the problem and to me this seems more like a core problem with how Illustrator functions then an error with my computer. I'll list the order of what I tried below.

What I found is that Illustrator depends on a stable internet connection to save. Two weeks ago I switched from running my network on cable internet to running the network router off a mobile hotspot. It runs fine to stream HD video and such but the connection isn't stable. I found when I was connected to the internet my saving and opening file problems persisted, but IMMEDIATELY after I disabled my network adapters Illustrator stopped hanging and started to save normally. This also explains why the problem was sometimes intermittent, saving fine when my connection was stronger. I switched on and off my internet a bunch of times, turning it on and off before and in the middle of saving and it was definitely the issue. 

In the mean time I'll just disable my internet when saving with Illustrator :'D

STEPS I TOOK

- Note: this was for all file saving, opening, & creating operations, including blank files and files that were a single shape to hundreds of megabytes. It would hang for minutes for each of these operations.

1. Windows was up to date - NO
  2. Turned Background Save off - NO
  3. Saving to Non-sync Folders - NO
  4. Turn off all startup programs, only running illustrator - NO
  5. Update Graphics card Driver to latest - NO
  6. Increase max pagefile from auto of 2,688 Mb to Max of 16,384 Mb - NO
  7. Updated Illustrator from 24.2.0 to latest of 24.2.3 - NO
  8. Cleared Preferences (again) by holding Ctrl+shift+alt on startup - NO
  9. Turned off Internet adapters - YES
    1. saving working without internet connection
    2. Immediately starts hanging on file saving/opening with internet connection enabled
    3. Had switched two weeks ago from cable internet to running home network on mobile hotspot. Can stream HD video and such, but it is not stable.
  10. Deleted OOBE folder contents -NO (had internet turned on)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uploaded a video to youtube show how this saving error happens: https://youtu.be/eGULdnsanlI 

*You'll see that at first it saves fine with no internet, then I reconnect to the internet and the saving hanging starts, but IMMEDIATELY when I disable the ethernet adapter to the internet it begins saving.

I tried lots of things but in the end it was that I was on an unstable internet connection of a mobile hotspot. For some reason Illustrator really needs a st...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sucks! Knew this cloud stuff was going to be a problem someday. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah. Illustrator sucked ever since I went to the Adobe Cloud. Constantly crashing. It takes a long time to open files and a long time to save them. Adobe Acrobat also doesn't work very well either.

I am waiting for a file to open as I write this. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020 Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I have the latest version. I have the latest Windows updates. I have done all kinds of messing about. All the delete preferences and every other thing I've found.

The only thing that works is to disconnect from the internet. VPN or not doesn't matter.

Im saving my files locally yet they literally take several minutes to save. If I disconnect, boom they save almost instantly. This is a massive pain, as Im working on several things at once, and I have to re login to email and other things every time I open or save a file. The subscription model has been nothing but a pain ever since it was instituted. This is an Illustrator problem,.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. For some reason the issue stopped for me. Don't know why. There
was another update from 24.2.3 to 24.3. I can only guess this fixed the
issue for me.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, Im on 24.3.

Even empty new document takes like 4 minutes to load unless I disconnect.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I experienced that too. SOOO frustrating.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're right. It seems Illustrator needs to send every mouse click to Adobe and it slows everything down. I'm working through a 5mbt VPN and it is so slow with every action with every file local or in the server.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same exact problems. Spend 2 hrs with remote desktop support. Only version which worked fine was AI 2019 and that was uninstaled while support session and it's no longer available to install. AI 2020 and 2021 are pain to use, lags, freezing, crashes. I am frustrated 😞 We pay lot of money and nobody cares. I endup switched from one guy to another explaining again my problems. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I"m on a Mac with all the latest updates and I had the same problem. When I came across your solution I immediately unplugged my eithernet from the computer and "BAMM" the file instantly saved. And yes, you're right what a pain for such a brilliant software and company.

Success by design!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2020 Dec 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like a simple thing that should be fixed. It stopped doing this for
me. I'm not sure if it was with an update or not. But I was working with my
computer disconnected even after I upgraded my internet for a while. But it
has been fine for a while now.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines