• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator 2020 keeps crashing on macOS Catalina

Participant ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I just got my new 16" Macbook, i9 processor with 64gb Ram.

Only problem is that Ilustrator now keeps crashing. I don't have any issues with my old 2015 Macbook, or my iMac 5K, only with my new 16" Macbook. Only Illustrator crashes, and it happens at least 4-5 times during a day. No pattern. Latest version of Illustrator and lates version of MacOS.

I finally found a solution. It was another user who wrote me a message with a solution that at least worked for me.

I haven't had a crash in 2 days now.

Preference > Performance > uncheck "GPU Performance"

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Hi there,

We are extremely sorry to hear this. Turning off GPU performance might have worked for them but not for you. Looking at the crash report you submitted on 5th March, it looks like an GPU issue but there could be other factors too. It looks like one-on-one support will be able to help you best. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html) and select the chat button in the lower-right corner of the page. We can help troubleshoot faster that way.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

I have updated to the Metal Beta, available if you are signed in to Adobe:

https://www.adobeprerelease.com/beta/85A6F544-2705-49BD-8314-DD549C6A1713#

In the release note, it says:

Illustrator 24.3 Metal Build 3 (Mac Only)

Stability improvements - we believe several crashes are addressed by moving to Metal. (As OpenGL was deprecated – stability issues reported around GPU Rendering should be addressed with Metal support).

I would consider that to be an official admission that there is a GPU renderin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 184 Replies 184
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just turned off the actual creative cloud app and was able to open Illustrator 2021 on my iMac Catalina. So far this is only answer that has worked for me since the upgrade. What a pain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this fix still working for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 18, 2020 Dec 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"

I finally found a solution. It was another user who wrote me a message with a solution that at least worked for me.

I haven't had a crash in 2 days now.

Preference > Performance > uncheck "GPU Performance"

Turning off a feature that I paid to be able to use is NOT a solution.  The fact is Adobe has known about this issue for over a year now pertaining to the 16" MacBook pro, and instead of fixing it they exported the bug so it does it on all Macs - ie they made it WORSE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And literally 5 minutes after that post anohter crash.  This app is causing more work than I'm getting done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Indybooster. Yeah, many of us have tried that "turn off GPU" suggestion, but sadly didn't work for us either (and made the program unusably slow). The thing that worked for me for...a few weeks actually...was to trash my Illustrator preferences and then rebuild my work space from scratch. The instructions for how to do that on the Adobe Support site aren't correct (surprise) so I had to Google search how to do it. BUT it's recently started crashing on me again. I'm using version 24.3. I tried many of the Beta versions but when they would crash it would totally reset my program so I had to rebuild my workspace/palletes every time, which suuuuuucked. So I'm back on the regular non-beta version. I read that version 25 was suppose to fix this, but in my experinece it crashed more. I'm not certain there is a fix at this point, and honestly would be willing to punt my MacBook Pro 16 if it fixed the issue (even tho this is Adobe's issue). Anyone know if this run more stabel on the new M1 chips? Or if PC's have this issue??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not limited to the 16" MBP anymore. Version 25 has spread the crashing to my iMac pro as well (and to Photoshop and Dreamweaver). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think they will fix anything until a larger news outlet expose it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh, so we had been nearly 2 weeks without any crashes until they started up again. Designer had noticed that the shortcuts preference file was getting reset whenever AI crashed, and mentioned she had imported those preferences after the last clean install. So we tried removing the preferences and having her work without them starting 12/8... and we were crash free until last Friday when the program crashed 3 times in a single work day. 

She is the only one out of the 15 licenses who is having issues, and her computer is not even the newest, nor is it the only one we ordered at the time from Apple, so I cannot fathom what is going on.

The only clue I have was that I looked up the error code she got in the crash report ("EXC_BAD_ACCESS"), and it seems to come up as a memory access issue. But AI has full disk access and I cannot locate any other details without access to developer software/knowledge, so posting that here in case there are some developers following along.

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS

Exception Codes: EXC_I836_GPFLT

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

Terminating Process: exc handler [74058]

Going to try making a new user account and starting from scatch there, see if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So since installing the latest full version (not beta) of AI 25.2.1 it's been gloriosly crash free for weeks now! 🙂

I know I've jinxed myself just by posting that, but hopefully it stays working (and with GPU performance turned on!).

Good luck to all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Seems I am not alone been pulling my hair out over multiple crashes and weird error messages: like "not enough memory to complete that task". Granted this current work involves plenty of gradients and if I could use it brushed strokes but never had a such a continual number of crusades ever since first using AI back 5 years ago.

My machine isn't as powerful as many (and yes Monika I am not a professional but I use this software everyday) and no it's not my livelihood but yes it has become far worse four crashes in just over two days lost everything. Now just can't use brushes on strokes without the spinning beach ball for every click of the mouse. Shut down every other peripheral software to no avail. Seems Monika even the professionals are getting fed up. Nice to know I am not alone. I am using 25.3 version! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines