• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2014 interface size too big.

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator CC 2014 interface size too big. There is no option to change it. Bug?

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

With 18.1 update of Adobe illustrator,  we have added an UI option under preferences > User interface section to either turn off scaling completely or allow users to snap to lower or higher supported scale factor. Since Ai only supports 100%, 150% and 200% scale factors, users can choose to snap to 100% or 150% when his/her OS ui scale is between 100% to 150%. E.g. for 125% users can select lower supported scale factor to snap Ai ui to 100% and higher supported scale factor to snap to 150%. Simi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2014 Jun 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, it worked for me.

However, having to set a new environment variable is a messy scramble of a fix on the behalf of Adobe. How on earth was such a glaring error missed on release? You should properly test your software on Windows in the future, Mr Adobe. You might find you have quite a few non-Mac users who aren't so happy with having to screw around with operating system variables to make a £50pcm subscription work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem with PhotoShop as well:

Go to Edit->Preferences->Experimental Features and unclick the "Scale UI 200%..." option - worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sanjay! You are a lifesaver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2014 Jun 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the workaround, Sanjay. So a simple question:

GET-PAST-QC].jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem. Thanks for the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, first off -- DUMB .. Why do you feel the need to change this?!!???!!!  

Secondly, setting environment var did work under system (unless reboot is necessary).  I had to set on user environment before it worked.

Again, just dumb to have changed this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanjay - one thing that I've noticed is that even though the basic interface elements are now workably sized due to the OS workaround, the cursors are still quite oversized. Pix available if you'd like to see. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi funkotronic13,

Can you please share your screen shot with cursors at sharewithai@adobe.com.

Also the settings are Adobe specific and does not have any effect any orher Application or OS.

Sanjay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanjay!

Tks!! Your solution works for illustrator.

Adding a ui scale factor however has no effect on the UI in Photoshop CC14 and also changing the font size in Preference does not work...

Do you perhaps know a solution for that??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jwijk,

I am not sure about Photoshop. Have you tried photo shop forum? Can you attach a snapshot of your issue so that I can forward to some photoshop folks.

Sanjay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 29, 2014 Jun 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanjay,

I shall contact the photoshop forum for this. Tks again for yr AI solution.

Best regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue this morning with PhotoShop.   The splash screen launch was huge and the interface was so large that I couldn't use the application properly.   I applied the global environmental variable and checked to make sure my font-size was @ 100% - it was.   The issue is the Experimental Features in Preferences.   (Edit->Preferences->Experimental Features).   Turn of the "Scale UI( 200% for high-density displays (Windows only)" box.   It should then appear as it should.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine in User interface Icons, But no works in context menus, solution for this ?

bug.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Becck,

The menu size is controlled by OS display scale settings. If you change the display scale setting to your desired scale settings it should oblige. It should be same for all applications.

Sanjay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But no matter what, there has been some sort of UI font size override introduced in CC2014 that is making the Adobeverse buzz with dissatisfaction. Just out of curiosity, I just checked, and ALL instances of Photoshop are now unable to modify UI font size.... Below is CC2014, which we know about:

PS-interface-type.jpg

And here is CC2013 and CS5.1 exhibiting the SAME behavior:

PS-CC-CS-ui_font.jpg

It's quite clear that ALL copies of Photoshop are now locked into the same "tiny" font setting, regardless of in-app settings.

This is NOT related to Windows display settings (nor SHOULD it be), I can share additional screenshots later to show that, but my boss is getting upset that I have already had to waste this much time doing beta testing that HE is paying for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You rock Sanjay!!

It worked, but shouldn't be that complicated - Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2014 Jul 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be the first thing showng in the Forum... Works perfect, and takes 2 minutes to fix the problem.

Thanks a lot Sanjay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2014 Jul 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, works for the overall interface but the oversize cursors are comical!! Sort it out Abode, we aren't paying a premium for embarrassing bugs that wouldn't have even gotten through a free web app!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2014 Jul 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Sanjay, it worked.  I could not go forward without this fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2014 Jul 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for InDesign.  I'm really enjoying having to turn off my windows scaling and re-log every time I want to work in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2014 Aug 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks i just installed my student version of adobe and i had this problem did what you said and it worked !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2014 Sep 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Sanjay!! Saved my eyes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2014 Nov 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting the Environment Variable UI_SCALE_FACTOR to 1 worked pre-2014. But Adobe Illustrator CC 2014 seems to now ignore that and goes back to showing an absurdly large interface. 

The correct solution now appears to be a preference inside the app.

Go to Edit > Preferences > User Interface and look for the option "For High-PPI Displays, Scale the User Interface". Turn that off.

Capture.PNG

Adobe seems, in their wisdom, to assume my working monitors are 'High-PPI' because the monitor in my laptop is High-PPI. Even if Illustrator lives on a low-PPI monitor it sets the High-PPI flag. Turn off this auto-detection and everything work again as it should.

NB. You MAY still have to set the environment variable. I have it set still and haven't experimented.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks RickMeasham for posting the snapshot. It is recommended to remove the environment variable and directly work with this preference.

Sanjay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2014 Nov 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if I'm supposed to 'reply' to the original post; or 'reply' to the latest post (which is Sanjay's?)

but anyway, please HELP! 

I just bought a windows 8  Surface Pro 3; I loaded my CS5 creative suite web premium, and my free (?) cs5.5 updates.

Photoshop opens fine; but the top and side (icons and text) are RIDICULOUSLY small! I don't care how good anyone's eyesight is! 

none of these worked:

I read all the posts above re this. I don't have the user interface choice to check "for high ppi displays", etc. inside photoshop

photoshop, preferences; changing to 'large' does nothing to help this; it was already on large.

changing the screen size of my windows doesn't change anything inside photoshop.

lastly, i don't have any experimental feature thing inside photoshop; but I'm confused about this option.

maybe it's not inside photoshop.

if it's not, I'm unclear about what to do to make photoshop 'larger'.

and will this effect anything else in the rest of my computer?

I'm nervous about doing something I don't understand on this brand new surf. pro 3 computer.

is my only option this scale factor thing? and if so, what do I enter; because '1' (as suggested to make Illustrator smaller) surely wouldn't be what I would do?

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines