• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC 2014 running EXTREMELY slow on brand new 6 Core Mac Pro with 64Gbs of Ram. This can't be right :(

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2014 Oct 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've just picked up a brand new 6 core Mac Pro and I am having some serious lag issues with Illustrator CC 2014. I am just trying to select relatively simple objects (an illustration of the side of a coin) and there is a massive delay between when I click on an object and when it actually becomes selected.

Someone please tell me they know how to fix this? Please

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

My company recently "upgraded" my OS to Windows 8.1. (from a pre-Windows 8 OS) and I am now experiencing terrible performance when using Illustrator CC 2014. (2014.1.0 release   -   18.1.0 (64 bit)). Most problematic is that every 5-10 seconds the entire screen goes black (not responding) for 3 seconds. I had a similar problem with Illustrator CS a year or so ago - I solved that problem by turning off auto-updating linked files. So, I'm suspicious that this problem also has something to do with

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe just doesn't care about the issues anymore. It's been 2 years since i've asked them to give us a solution to Adobe Illustrator hang issue on a Lenovo 8 GB DDR3 RAM. Now we've bought a Macbook Pro and have the same issue multiple artboard artworks lag and takes unto 2-3 minutes to save every step. I HOPE YOU'RE LISTENING.

Please reply to karthik.arcot@impelsys.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please apply the latest patch 19.1 and let us know if it resolves your issue.

-- Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2015 Aug 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give me a link to the 19.1 patch you're saying would help? I am currently using Adobe Illustrator CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2016 Apr 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DID YOU GET A LINK FOR THIS WITH INSTRUCTIONS FROM THE ADOBE GUY? I'M IN NEED OF A FIX!!! ILLUSTRATOR IS LAGGING TERRIBLY... BECOMING UNBEARABLE!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2015 Aug 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have similar issues. I come from working with CS6 on Windows for years and recently purchased a new Macbook Pro with 16 GB and am now using Illustrator CC.

Illustrator CC on Mac is so much slower for me than CS6 on Windows, it is unbelievable. Sometimes it takes minutes to save a small file and even closing a file that was unedited and doesn't need to be saved still takes a long time to close. I am staring at the loading icon all the time just moving objects around or copy/pasting. CS6 on my 8 GB 4-year-old PC ran 10 times better. I always thought that Adobe would run better on Mac, but this is so slow it is pretty much unusable. Add to that a lot of issues I am having (such as this and this) ... I am actually considering doing Illustrator work on my old PC again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had ongoing speed problems with Illustrator ever since 'upgrading' to CC 2015 - on the latest version 19.1.0 (opening) and saving files is ridiculously slow; have tried all suggestions and nothing solves the problems. This is costing time and money with the various freelancers we use as they are working at half speed (or slower) but charging us the full amount for their time.

When is this going to be properly solved, Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here; Was on the phone with AppleCare last week, and the hardware check all looked good. Once I upgraded to Yosemite about 2 months ago, Illustrator is running TERRIBLY! Was running perfectly, now it's unbearably choppy, lagging, slow-- even with small files, unsophisticated files. Turned off GPU preview and synch settings. It's obvious that it's Illustrator and Yosemite in conjunction that's the problem. Please help! Wish I could go back to Maverick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2015 Aug 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I had the same problem and here is what I did and it helped (please know that I am a designer and not a technical skilled person....): in upper left corner you see a little rocket, click on it (it deals with GPU performance) and turn of animated zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2015 Aug 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, but I unchecked GPU Performance in Ai Settings and now it runs like the good old CS6.

Smooth with NO LAG ISSUES.

Windows 8.1

i7 2.93GB

16 GB Ram

Quadro 2000

Shame on you ADOBE...releasing buggy software! Brilliant Ideas with horrible performance. Could perfectly be called SCAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here.

Windows 8.1

16Gb RAM

Intel i7

Nvidia Geforce GTX 850M

Things I've tried:

Reinstalling Ill CC 2015

Resetting preferences by pressing alt+ctrl+shift upon open

Syncing is disabled

GPU performance OFF

System is fully protected with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes

Removed all non-system fonts

Reinstalled only fonts required for the current document (Helvetica, Open Sans and Quicksand)

This is wasting MASSIVE amounts of time, and there doesn't seem to be a fix? Please Adobe, pay attention!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2015 Aug 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey - update: I reinstalled CS5 but wasn't able to use it because my file has objects with multiple shaded fill layers (CS5 expands appearance and leaves the object as several separate items, which is impossible to edit and stay sane at the same time). However, I reopened Ill CC 2015 and now it is working smoothly! Is it possible a faulty 2015 file has been overwritten by CS5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

After a studio full of unhappy designers complaining about how 'SLOW' Illustrator CC 2014 was I've finally managed to identify the culprit of our particular slow-down. It is directly related to the LiveShapes.aip and LiveShapesUI.aip plug-ins.

These plugins reside here on a Macintosh:

LiveShapesUI.aip - /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC 2014/Plug-ins.localized/Illustrator UI.localized/LiveShapesUI.aip

LiveShapes.aip - /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC 2014/Plug-ins.localized/Extensions.localized/LiveShapes.aip

They add the new Live Corners features. If you disable them by moving them to another folder outside of /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC 2014/Plug-ins.localized and re-start Illustrator you will see immediate performance improvements when zooming, moving objects and generally modifying a document.

I created a new folder called Plug-ins (LiveShapes) and put these plugins inside it. I can then use the 'Additional Plug-ins folder' under 'Plug-ins & Scratch Discs' preferences to turn the Live Shapes back on when I need them.

I hope this helps everyone. Please fix this Adobe!

Kind regards,

Gary.

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 18.20.19.png

Screen Shot 2015-09-01 at 18.17.08.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 01, 2015 Sep 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa! Do you mean I can delete those two files and never have to deal with Live Shapes and their comically large anchor points again? It seems to be working — this is great! Drawing a dang rectangle is a one-step process once again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2015 Sep 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying this now! Will report back, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It really works! Instant obvious performance improvement!! A must-try, thank you so much 2020macintosh you really made my day. Illustrator's lagging was becoming unbearable. 2020macintosh‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2015 Sep 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woohoo! Thanks 2020macintosh. You saved the day, turned my frown upside down.... A noticeable improvement. Adobe get your act together - we're paying good money for your products here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2015 Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I moved the

LiveShapesUI.aip - /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC 2014/Plug-ins.localized/Illustrator UI.localized/LiveShapesUI.aip

LiveShapes.aip - /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC 2014/Plug-ins.localized/Extensions.localized/LiveShapes.aip

like macintosh2020 suggested. Worked for me. The very tedious time consuming task of moving text, is now working normally at real live speed.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far the LiveShapes process doesn't work for me. It still takes 10 minutes, or longer, to open up on a fast machine. At this point I'm about ready to smash this damn machine into pieces.

3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

32GB 1066Mhz DR3 ECC

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has any sorted this to actually work? Tried removing the plugins as above to no avail. This is driving me nuts. 2014 CC and 2015 CC just will not work. I thought 2015 CC was pretty awful anyway and the whole Studio team just can not get this bloody software to work at any speed. It's properly screwing up getting any work done. Anyone tried Affinity Designer yet? Looks a much cheaper, and more importantly, a working piece of software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2015 Sep 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue! Illustrator CC2015 is driving me insane. Today I'm working on a deadline, and it's just causing me no end of delays. Every button and everything I draw is very sluggish to respond, yet I'm on a very fast iMac. I've tried removing the LiveShapes plugin (thanks 2020macinstosh!) and that has helped a bit, but it still isn't perfect. Please look into this Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Parsleymorris, agreed; Disabling the plugin helped but it's still not perfect and at times, unbearable. Pinwheel of death, and I'm on a fast machine, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've solved it for me (after many many hours of scratching my head). I think plug-ins may be the problem here. Some weeks ago I downloaded a set of plug-ins from Astute Graphics. Ever since then I've had these problems with Illustrator being sluggish. I removed the plug-ins this afternoon and, bob's your uncle, the problem went away. Hopefully there's some way I can still use them though, as they cost me a small fortune..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

parsleymorris schrieb:

I think I've solved it for me (after many many hours of scratching my head). I think plug-ins may be the problem here.

You should report that problem to Astute Graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't matter what I do. It is still running painfully, painfully slow. And no response from Adobe, are you fixing this issue or what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm starting to think "class action lawsuit"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines