• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC changes file dimensions when saved as jpeg or tiff

New Here ,
Aug 21, 2016 Aug 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, every time I save a file as jpeg or tiff illustrator adds .08 to the width and takes .08 off the height. I save with use Artboard ticked but it still alters the dimensions of the file. Please can someone advise how can I stop it doing this as I need to save my files to the exact pixel size, of width and height, that I have created? Thank you.

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 21, 2016 Aug 21, 2016

Create an Illustrator file at 4600 X 2000 px and export it at 72 ppi.

That will give you the exact pixel dimensions.

A pixel does not have a fixed size.

For historical reasons Illustrator defines a pixel as 1/72th of an inch.

The same 4600 X 2000 px file can be smaller and larger depending on the amount of ppi you specify.

At 72 ppi it will print as 126,8 cm X 70,56 cm

At 300 ppi it will print as 38,95 X 16,93 cm

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change your units to pixels.

Check if the postions of the artboards do contain X Y values with fractional values.

These should be full pixel values.

This is an example of an artboard that can give you an additional pixel:

fractions.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ton, Thank you my x and y values were fractions, I am still unable to get to save the artwork to the correct size.

Artboard:- X: 4600 px,Y:2000 Px,  W : 4600 px, H: 2000

Artwork:- X : 4600.001 px Y : 2000 px, W : 4600.002 px H : 2000.001

It continually reverts to these measurement with constraint unlinked and I am unable to save it to a different size.

When I save it to the size of the artboard which is the correct size the jpeg file is :-

X : 4600.08 px Y: 1999.92 px, W :4600.08 px, H : 1999.92

which is where I was before.

I have tried altering the x and y measurement to gain the correct artwork size but am unable to arrive at the desired measurements. Can you identify where I am still going wrong?

I have created an artboard with X,Y and W,H values at 4600 px by 2000px,

I have created a rectangle no stroke no fill at 4600 px by 2000px,

I have filled the rectangle with my art work and exported it as a jpeg with use Artboard checked.

When I open the jpeg in illustrator the dimensions of the artwork are X: 4600.08 y: 1999.92, W:4600,08 and H: 1999.92

the artboard is W: 4600px  H2000 px X : 4600 px Y: 0 px

Is the fault with me, illustrator or the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the artboard size and X Y coordinates don't contain fractions, it should export OK.

Did you check the Use Artboards checkbox when exporting to jpeg?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but it still adds and subtracts .08 on the jpeg file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share an example Illustrator file that shows the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My files are too big, I will create a smaller one for an example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not allowed to upload illustrator files. i have taken screen shots of the ai file and the consequent jpeg file and how the values have changed.Screenshot 2016-08-21 15.49.30.pngScreenshot 2016-08-21 15.49.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the XY and WH of the objects.

What do you see if you select the Artboard tool (Shift O)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ai file the Artboard XY WH is X 460 px Y 200 x W460 px H 200 px.

The Jpg file the Artboard  XY WH is X 460 px Y 0 px W 460 px H 200 px

The Jpg layers/artwork is X 460.08px Y 199.92px W 460.08px H 199.92 px

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not tell us, why do you need tiff and jpg? What is the purpose for that export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need accurate tiff and jpeg it send to my publisher and to up load designs to hub sites to sell my designs on products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But do you know that tiff and jpg are not the best for publishing. I suppose your publisher would be glad to have PDFs instead?

And for web sites, PNGs are the better choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They have asked for tiff to then prepare them for printing, they do all the work with crop marks etc. The hub sites request high-res jpeg. So I am stuck with complying with their wishes! They are so particular that even if my file is .08 the wrong size the file is rejected!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I thought I would just check and saved my ai file as PNG and when I reopened it in illustrator the size had changed to plus .08px  on X and W and minus .08 px  on Y and H the same as it does with Tiff and jpg. So is the problem in the programme?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You saved it as PNG and then opened the PNG in Illustrator? That doesn't make any sense.

In order to post your AI file, upload it to Dropbox or your Google Driver ar whatever and post a link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This file is 1917x833 pixels

Bildschirmfoto 2016-08-21 um 19.42.19.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have opened the png file from dropbox that I sent you, in illustrator and it is :-
Art board            W 460px H 200px X 460px Y 0px
layers/artwork     W 460.08px H 199.92px X 460.08px Y 199.92px
The original illustrator file
Art board W 460px H 200px X 460px Y 200px
Layers/ artwork W 460px H200px X 460px Y 200px
I do not understand how the file measures 1917x833px when it was created 460x200 but this is the problem!

I create the file in illustrator Artboard 460 x 200 px artwork 460 x 200 px

.I export it as jpg, tiff, png. I am informed by my publisher (tiff) and society 6 (jpg) that the files are not the right size and to check my file dimensions. I open my file in illustrator ( how else should I check the file dimensions?) and find that the jpg, tiff png artwork measures plus .08 W and minus .08 H. I did not have the right dimensions for the art board initially but I have rectified that problem but the size of artwork does not remain the same once I have saved it into a different format, as your reply testifies.

How do I save an illustrator file in jpg, tiff and png and have it stay the same size that I created it in Illustrator? I would be so grateful if you could tell me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Export it at 72 ppi.

Your file is at 300 ppi

Look at the links panel and you will see the Dimensions in pixels

But when it is scaled 24 % you will get the W and H you see in the Transform panel

size.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I can now save jpg files at the right size and resolution by going to save for web rather than >file>export and I can control the size and quality of file, but how do I do this for tiff and png and retain the file size of the original ai file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create an Illustrator file at 4600 X 2000 px and export it at 72 ppi.

That will give you the exact pixel dimensions.

A pixel does not have a fixed size.

For historical reasons Illustrator defines a pixel as 1/72th of an inch.

The same 4600 X 2000 px file can be smaller and larger depending on the amount of ppi you specify.

At 72 ppi it will print as 126,8 cm X 70,56 cm

At 300 ppi it will print as 38,95 X 16,93 cm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your help, I have a better understanding of how to obtain the correct file size in the different formats. It is very contradictory to be told to produce work at 300dpi and then save it at 72ppi and maintain hi-res images. Hopefully I will have better luck uploading my files tomorrow. Thank you again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not understand what the specs are for Society 6 and what your publisher wants.

If they ask for a fixed amount of pixels, than the resolution should not matter.

The same fille can be printed as a postage stamp at a very high resolution, while the same file can be printed as a huge poster at a very low resolution.

So if you want specific pixels dimensions, create the file with that amount of pixel dimensions and export it at 72 ppi for jpeg, png or tiff.

If the they want a specific size for print in Inches or centimeters, create your file in Inches or Centimeters and export it at the resolution they want (and don't worry about the pixels).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TIFF and JPGs are pixel files, they can only consist of whole pixels, so you will not get an exact measurement as you could get with a vector.

But why are you exporting TIFF and JPG?

If you print, use PDF/X-4, if it is for the web, the JPG compression is horrible and you would live better with PNG.

It it is for Office, use EMF on Windows or PNG.

I would recommend not to use TIFF or JPG from Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines