I am Graphic Designer in Coca-Cola Bottler Azerbaijan

While working in overprint view , Illustrator slows down and starts freezing

Im working on:

HP Z440

Intel Xeon E5 1620 v4 @ 3.50 GHz

64 GB DDR4

NVIDIA Quadro P4000 - 8192 MB

Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit

We have 2 other computers with specifications below, which work perfectly fine :

1) Asus ROG G75 VW

Windows 10 Pro - 64 bit

Intel® Core™ i7 3610QM

16 GB - DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670M with 3GB GDDR5

Illustrator CC 2018

2) iMac (27-inch, late 2013)

macOS High Sierra - Version 10.13.6

3.5 GHz Intel Core i7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB

Could you please look for the issue that we are facing and respond as soon as possible.

Regards,

Sanan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to deactivate the GPU performance?

That's from Preferences, then from your left choose performance, then uncheck GPU performance

Or click on rocket icon placed beside the menus, then uncheck GPU performance

Restart Illustrator!

i think you will going fine

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2018 Jul 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mr. Saeed Asem Alkarmi,

Yes of course i have tried that option, but unfortunately it hasn't  worked for me. I have even been in contact with HP, they have informed me that it is absolutely not a hardware issue, and told me to contact specifically with Adobe team. Could you please check in for more solutions for me.

Thank you in advance

Best regards

Sanan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you provide us a sample of the artwork you working on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of confidential matters i can not share any artwork (project) that i am currently working on. May i ask why do you require the sample for ? It doesn't matter in any case whatever i work on , the issue continues. To put this in simple terms, even when i draw a box and try to move it around the program reacts very slowly and sometimes freezing occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has your computer always been that slow?

Can you tell us about the file? How large, how many paths, points? Are there effects? Transparency?

Does it work better in other view modes, such as View > Preview on CPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Monika,

My computer is not slow at all, the only issue is in AI (Overprint Preview ) . You can find all the details to your question in the comment to Danny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working in Illustrator do you have specific panels open that your colleagues don't? e.g. the Navigator panel?

Do you have plugins installed that your colleagues don't have?

Can you exchange the video card in that computer?

Or update the driver?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's worth remembering that we aren't the 'Adobe Team' as such, but users just like yourself.

The sample request was because causes of slow performance sometimes become apparent when we look at the specific file. However, it sounds like it isn't specific to one file.

Is performance perfectly normal when Overprint Preview is switched off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Danny,

Thank you for the response, yes you have understood me perfectly, the issue is not for a specific file , it occurs in every file and yes performance is perfectly normal when Overprint Preview is switched off. We have even formatted the PC twice and reinstalled Adobe Creative cloud , the problem only occurs in AI, the other Adobe programs are also working perfectly fine. I am adding video for preview.

As you can see these are only sample boxes which i drew ( it gets even worse with high sized files ). It is perfectly fine without Overprint Preview, when switched on its starts lagging, when zooming in and out the reaction time is slow.

https://we.tl/99YSoJsZut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the same problem here! I'm working on a brand new iMac ( iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) ) with Illustrator CC all up to date and every single time I put the overprint preview on, illustrator just get very slow.

What I don't understand, is that before in CS6, on my older iMac, I never have such thing to happen.

I asked Adobe to try to resolve my issue with a remote session, but after an 1hour with them playing on my computer the only thing they could come up with is that nothing can be done. They asked me to upvote your discussion so that some one eventually look deeper into this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2018 Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that little things may help with the performance of Illustrator in overprint preview, try the following:

1. Close your links palette (or activate a different tab within the same palette, hiding the links)

2. Close/deactivate navigator panel

3. Open Panel Options in the Layers palette and turn off all thumbnails

Those things I've found, especially with the Layers thumbnails and links palette, really help working in overprint preview better.

Another possibility is working off your own hard drive as opposed to files over a network (like some companies do).

Finally, if the problem still persists, it could be one or both of the following issues:

1. CPU is not up to snuff (underpowered), since all views except GPU Preview run off it

2. OS compatibility issue (some of my coworkers are experiencing annoying issues with Sierra but I'm doing ok with Yosemite so far...and it helps I'm the only one with a Mac Pro instead of an iMac)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem on iMac Pro (2017) 

3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W

32 GB 2666 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no need to post n every available thread. It would have been better to create your own new thread actually.

Overprint mode is not meant to be turned on 24/7. It takes time to render. Particularly in complex documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have 6 different apple machines and they all work with overprint mode on 24/7 for years no problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe does not stubbornly solve this problem ... the illustrator is problematic on imac 5K screens, any solution you give does not work ... the packaging industry has to work in overprint mode ... How can CS6 illustrator be faster than cc 2020 when overprint mode is on ??? If you don't have 5K imac, I'll send it for testing. I am writing again, imac 5K computer also has illustrator optimization problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in a Prepress department and I just got a new 5K iMac. I have to verify colors in Overprint mode regularly, and now I have to keep switching between CPU and GPU modes in order to work.

I really don't think this is any kind of issue with what documents are open, because it still runs slow in overprint mode even with a blank document!

I'm not sure why the CPU can't handle overprint mode on my iMac. It has an Intel, 10 core i9, and I have a Windows PC at home with an 8 Core i9 with a 4K Ultrawide and the same documents run fine in overprint mode. In fact, there's little difference in performance between the two modes on the Windows machine. The only reason I could think of is if the new iMacs have an issue with proper cooling, which would slow down the CPU. I think the i9 is fast enough to smoothly move around a blank document, even on a 5k screen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2020 Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

illustrator cant work with 5K, you can connect to 4K screen and it will work as fast as you use to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but do you have an official source for that? I'd like to be able to show my colleagues why it's not working. Also, It's not very practical to connect all our 5K iMacs to extenal 4K monitors. This is a BIG problem that Adobe needs to quickly address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

illustrator and 5K imac 
Definitely, such a ridiculous solution and no problem, this is a ridiculous problem, how many years have passed, illustrator 2021 came out still works like a turtle on 5k screens. A quarter of the attention paid to Photoshop is not shown to the illustrator. We are waiting for an urgent solution, I am being tortured that I will work in illustrator with 2020 imac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

I just got a new computer and am having the same issue. My computer that is ten years older works faster in overptint preview? This is an incredibly slow way to work if you work in packaging and need to be using overprint all the time. Just wondering if anyone has come up with any solutions or literally the only thing you can do is connect to another screen?!

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines