• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC right click isn't working

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that overnight my ability to right click in Illustrator CC has disappeared. Right click works on my desktop and other applications, but does absolutely nothing in Illustrator.

My Illustrator is up to date (I checked), and I did not perform any OS updates since it last worked yesterday.

I found a similar problem in the forum here: right click not working in CC 2015 version

Many people in this discussion found that disconnecting their secondary monitors allowed them to right click again. This worked for me but as this is my work computer I cannot effectively work with only 1 screen, so I am living without right click until this is solved.

The solution to that thread was a software update, but that was years ago so the update is not applicable here.

I've tried restarting Illustrator, as well as restarting my computer to no avail.

Any help is welcome. Thanks!

Specs:

Adobe Illustrator CC 2017.1.0

Mac OS X 10.11.6

27" iMac with 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Does Ctrl click on mac work to get the contextual menus? What kind of mouse do you have? Do you have a wacom tablet? Anything change recently since you said this happened overnight?

Skip the quick prefs reset, as this is mart likely  be resolved by one of the others.

Reset Your Preferences.

Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Shift when restarting AI on a Mac or Alt-Crtl-Shift on a PC to reset to the defaults.

More Thorough Reset Your Preferences.

Quit Illustrator

Finder >> Shift Command G

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illust

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Click and hold doesn't pop up the hidden tools?

Alt-click to circle through them.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Ctrl click on mac work to get the contextual menus? What kind of mouse do you have? Do you have a wacom tablet? Anything change recently since you said this happened overnight?

Skip the quick prefs reset, as this is mart likely  be resolved by one of the others.

Reset Your Preferences.

Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Shift when restarting AI on a Mac or Alt-Crtl-Shift on a PC to reset to the defaults.

More Thorough Reset Your Preferences.

Quit Illustrator

~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Illustrator 21 Settings/en_US*/Adobe Illustrator Prefs

rename Adobe Illustrator 21 to Adobe Illustrator 21 old

Reset Your Other Preferences

Quit Illustrator

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Illustrator 21/

rename Adobe Illustrator 21 to Adobe Illustrator 21 old

Press Win+R -> appdata -> Roaming -> Adobe -> rename folder Adobe Illustrator 20 (or 21) Settings to any other

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You MikeGondek ! It looks like the "More Thorough Reset Your Preferences" worked for me!

The other information you asked for: (in case it helps others in the future)

• Ctrl-click was not working to bring up contextual menus
  • I am using an Apple Magic Mouse
  • I do have a Wacom tablet, but it was not plugged in (so the drivers are installed, but shouldn't have been doing anything at the time)
  • I cannot think of any recent change that would have brought this on

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For my par you are welcome.

Thank you so very much for the feedback, helps us to better target future replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't find the specific pref listed above even using spotlight search. So I went ahead and uninstalled including prefs, and then reinstalled. My right click is now working. I did have to reset up all my preferences and panes/workspace. Thank you for the suggestion above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you could not find the file. 

Good job on doing he uninstall some people skip using the Adobe cleaner, and the prefs file is still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press Alt & Click Icon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Icon? As of yesterday during MAX, updated all apps and right-click is out again in Illustrator 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same.  Rt. click is out even now.  I am left-handed.  I have been using my mouse with the buttons switched for left-handed use.  I had the use of my (on my left hand) pointer finger mouse attributes AND the use of my ring finger mouse attributes on my magic mouse.  NOW, I need to switch the button to operate the mouse with my right hand and I only have the use of the pointer finger attributes (the left click), but no index finger right click capabilities.  I can get both if I switch back to left-handed use.  What the HECK?  I would do that, but I am having shoulder problems on my left and I need to switch back to the right.  This is crazy frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same.  Rt. click is out even now.  I am left-handed.  I have been using my mouse with the buttons switched for left-handed use.  I had the use of my (on my left hand) pointer finger mouse attributes AND the use of my ring finger mouse attributes on my magic mouse.  NOW, I need to switch the button to operate the mouse with my right hand and I only have the use of the pointer finger attributes (the left click), but no index finger right click capabilities.  I can get both if I switch back to left-handed use.  What the HECK?  I would do that, but I am having shoulder problems on my left and I need to switch back to the right.  This is crazy frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the problem is "cannot right click the tools button (so, for example, we cannot choose rectangular tool, elips tool, etc.)", I have another simple solution 👍🏻😀

I just double click (left/normal click) and drag the button, and the tools option will appear 😊  That's it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Click and hold doesn't pop up the hidden tools?

Alt-click to circle through them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines