• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CC2018 transform nudge increments

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to CC2018 and am having a major issue.

In the transform panel I have always selected my object then put my cursor in the X or Y box then used the arrow keys to go up or down in increments of .125". Now it goes up or down in 1" increments. HOW CAN I FIX THIS before I lose my mind!?!?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Sorry for my delayed response... life got in the way.

Your answer is NOT "correct". The link refers to CS6. I did not have a problem until CC2018.

Upon further investigation I found a bug in the program, which also explains why you thought the link would help:

• The free floating TRANSFORM panel you access from the Window dropdown works just like it always did... when I put my cursor in the X, Y, W or H and click an up or down arrow key it first rounds to the nearest .125" then increases or decrease

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Alexandras,

You can change your nudge increments distance in the Preferences Panel (Keyboard increments)

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 22.32.03 RI.png

Hope this helps,

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the nudge increment, that works fine. I want to change the increment when you use the up/down arrows in the X or Y box of the transform panel.

Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 5.50.35 PM.png

Thanks though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh sorry!

I got it now.

Please see the following thread: Default increment for X and Y values in Control panel?

I hope this helps,

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this post shows as "answered" but I have read through the link above and still don't see a way to get back to having the x,y & w,h values in the control panel be set at 1/8".  I set my increments in preferences to 1/8" and when I use command + arrow key in the control panel, it now moves .48" each time, and still 1" with just the arrow key.  Have you found a solution?  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

Here is where you can change your Keyboard increment by typing a pacific number or highlighting the number and pressing the up or down arrows to increase and decrease respectively:

Go: Illustrator > Preferences

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 20.55.24.png

And here is where you can change the actual units of the increments:

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 20.55.34.png

I hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but as stated earlier by Alexandra, "I want to change the increment when you use the up/down arrows in the X or Y box."  I want to go back to having those increments at 1/8" but changing that in the keyboard increments preferences does not have the desired effect.  For example, if I change my keyboard increments to .125", using up or down arrow key in the X or Y box moves it a whole inch.  If I use "command + arrow", it moves it .48".  I used to be able to keep the keyboard increment at the default 0.0139 in, and have a selected object move .125" when using the arrow key in the X or Y box (while still having it move .0139" with the arrow key if my cursor was NOT in the

X or Y box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would follow the link above and apply what is relevant to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2018 Mar 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my delayed response... life got in the way.

Your answer is NOT "correct". The link refers to CS6. I did not have a problem until CC2018.

Upon further investigation I found a bug in the program, which also explains why you thought the link would help:

• The free floating TRANSFORM panel you access from the Window dropdown works just like it always did... when I put my cursor in the X, Y, W or H and click an up or down arrow key it first rounds to the nearest .125" then increases or decreases .125" at a time (assuming the units are set to inches).
  • The Transform section embedded in the new PROPERTIES panel does NOT work properly. It only goes up and down in 1" increments.

I am using Illustrator 22.0.1, so I do not know if this has been addressed in a patch, but it would be awesome if it was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using 22.0.1 as well, and just discovered the same as you.  I am relieved to have found that it works at least in one spot but don't see why it doesn't work in both spots.  Hopefully Adobe will fix this.  The information posted by Simmer, although appreciated, is not applicable for this specific issue whatsoever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...typing a specific number..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out my last post... it's a disconnect between the properties panel and the transform panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be good to report it here:

Adobe Illustrator Feedback

As far as I can see it has not been reported (or mentioned as fixed in a beta).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2019 Feb 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off snap to grid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yay, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You saved my day!

I was frustrating about it. I set keybpard increment to 1 px. It wasn't nudge as 1px. I opened and closed Ai multiple times to reset everything. your answer saved my day! I almost smashed my computer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever get an answer for this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not solved in the current version, but you can add your vote here:

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/33621316-transform-pane...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines