• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Changing CMYK Values

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2020 May 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm setting up artwork for t-shirt separations. I have to use absolute CMYK values to print the separartions accurately, i.e. 100% Black, 50% Yellow, 25% Cyan to match the halftones and color combinations I need to make out spot ink colors.

The issue I'm having is converting an object to my CMYK tones. It is a complex object, made with several layers and a gradient mesh. I set one color to 100% Cyan, and it changes to 69% Cyan and 14% Yellow the next time I check it. From 100%Magenta and 100% Black, it goes to 57, 75, 68, 82.

I am using the "Recolor Artwork" tool.

I have changed my Document Set Up to CMYK and have tried copying it into a completely new document already set to CMYK. Typing in the values or selecting them from the swatches has no effect.

TOPICS
Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is your color management setup?

Illustrator only changes CMYK values when you convert between differen color profiles, RGB > CMYK, but also CMYK > CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are my color settings. I don't ever change them and rarely have this problem. Most times I can fix it by creating a new file or restarting illustrator, but this file is being stubborn.Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ton,

I am having the same problem. Have checked my color management setup (CMYK) my color profile, all seems fine. I click on a color box, put in my CMYK codes, save, close, and when I reopen it, slight variations have occurred! I have done this multiple times. How can I permanently embed this color profile into the file? It seems quite crazy that such a professional platform is changing the colors at whim, when this is such precise work. I'd love to know what I could do to keep all intact, and not keep switching before sending to printers?? Thanks so much for any help! Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you create a new topic? This topic has started about recolor artwork and creating spot colors from process colors. So unless you have the same problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can check at the bottom of your file if the color profile of your document is the same as in your Color Settings.

And try to turn on warnings for Profile Mismatches.

Doc profile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the file's color mode is CMYK?

I don't understand why you need to convert objects to CMYK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The artwork was created in full color to send proofs to the customer. Once it is done and I have to print separations for the screenprinter, I have to convert the full color into absolute CMYK values like this:

Dark Brown-100% Cyan

White- 100% Magenta

Light Brown- 100% Yellow

My screen printer uses spot ink colors instead of Process Colors when he prints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder why you did not use spot colors to start with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because that is not how we have our separation process set up, nor is it the point. I am just trying to change my colors and they are not staying the same values that I set them to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still wonder if there is a difference between the Document Color Profile of your stubborn document an the CMYK profile of your Color Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2022 Feb 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try File > Document Colour Mode > CMYK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scottsbluffs,

What happens if you choose Emulate Adobe Illustrator 6.0 in the Color Settings>Settings dropdown, instead of North American General Purpose 2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choosing "Emulate Illustrator 6" isn't a solution.

If the values keep changing after opening the file, then it's caused by bad settings in color management. But in those settings (as in screenshot above) I can't see why that conversion should happen. The Secure CMYK workflow is already turned on and profiles get ignored.

It might be an error with the file or maybe Illustrator is not working correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Scott are you still having this problem? I am wondering if you found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. I'm having the same issues myself. I have CYMK and RBG swatches saved but they always change when I reopen Illustrator. Very frustrating and it's making me start to question the point of these swatches if they aren't securing the proper codes. I don't have this issue in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have CYMK and RBG swatches saved"

In the same document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone found a solution to this?

It is beyond annoying and potentially a work wrecker as the CMYK changes are not obvious on-screen, making it very likely that the wrong colours go to print.

How "professional" software is allowed to see the light of day with this kind of issues is beyond me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How "professional" software is allowed to see the light of day with this kind of issues is beyond me.

By @mowglivj

We still don't know what exactly the thread opener did to get into this mess.

If color values are chaning for you, please tell us what is happening step by step and how your color management is set up. Most likely your issue is caused by not properly setup and handling of color management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2022 Jan 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with my cmyk color changing. I am not a seasoned professional. I use adobi just to get printing on glass. I need the simple easy fix for this. This is the first time this has happened and as a result it is holding up production. What is the fix for this. I don't get into a lot of details with Adobi, I just need it to work. What is the fix.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix is probably to start by learning about colour management. But maybe we can help you on the way. Please describe EXACTLY what happens. With screen shots showing colour "before" and "after" (shown as actual CMYK numbers, if you really are working in CMYK) and telling us what you did between the two screen shots. Also document colour mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your Color Settings properly setup?

Has your document a CMYK profile? 

Check at the bottom of your screen.

Doc profile.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Document Colour Mode > CMYK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

posting "clever" things without even reading what the problem is is NOT helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did read the problem which I am having myself on a document exported from a RGB application and in prep for colour separations I check the cmyk values and tweak them but they were changing. Then I remembered that I had to File > Document Colour Mode > and change it from RGB to CMYK. I am sorry you took offense but it works and I thought I would share.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines