• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator CS5 Crashes on save and quit on MAC OSX Sierra

New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to Mac OSX Sierra and freshly installed Illustrator CS5 Standard on my machine.

Installation all went well with no issues but when I close the application or quit the app a msg window appears saying the application quit unexpectedly.

Also preferences in the pref panel do not save in the menu layouts after crash...

Is there a fix for this?

I really do not want to move over to CC just yet but feel this may be the issue.

thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sierra and CS5 are not officially compatible. that's the adobe boilerplate answer, but your mileage may vary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nickw1892 schrieb:

I really do not want to move over to CC just yet but feel this may be the issue.

Why do you install a modern operating system when all you want to do is run outdated software that doesn't even use all the features of your modern system? It's not even 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monica for pointing this out..I am fully aware that it isn't ideal.

The original software suits my working process right now and the creative cloud pricing is somewhat prohibitive on a monthly basis.

I may have purchased a new operating system but that doesn't mean I am swimming in cash to allow me to upgrade everything..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For all interested in running pre cloud adobe products.

This info may be CS5 specific. You can learn more about compatibility between OS X versions, various software types, java, etc. here:

http://roaringapps.com

CS5 is compatible with Sierra. It requires you to install the older version of Java, Java SE6 (See link below).

Cloud Creative may not Sierra compatible yet?

Click the "download button," ignore the links there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem with Adobe Illustrator CS5 and Mac OS X Sierra.

The following worked for me:

1) Quit Illustrator if it is open.

2) Open “Terminal.app”.

3) Paste the following command at the prompt: sudo mv /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CS5ServiceManager/lib /Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/CS5ServiceManager/lib.bak

4) Enter your password when prompted and then press “enter”.

Found it here: Fix Illustrator CS5 Crashing in OS X El Capitan « Schwie's Pad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2017 May 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I've attempted to do this, but when the password prompt comes up I cannot type the password in because a lock shows up. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kalync87884577  schrieb

Hi - I've attempted to do this, but when the password prompt comes up I cannot type the password in because a lock shows up. Any suggestions?

Downgrade the system or upgrade Illustrator to CC.

CS5 and Sierra are not compatible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Monika - If possible, I'd prefer not to upgrade to Illustrator CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure... you need to be logged in as an administrator account that has a password (not blank), to use the sudo command.
I'm using Sierra and Illustrator CS5, works fine for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm ... that's interesting - I'm a bit technologically challenged.  What do you mean I need to be logged in as an administrator account on my own computer?  I'm not quite following u

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant logged in "with" an administrator account.
To use your mac you must be logged in with a user account. What I meant is that this user account must be set as "Admin". Go to "System Preferences > Users&Groups" to check this, and check if there's a non-blank password assigned to the current user.
Anyway, don't know if this solves your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do - thanks for your response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem and this has resolved it (I think). It also seems to have stopped InDesign performing so sluggishly under Sierra (a coincidence?).

In response to Monika: although CS5 is not officially 'compatible' with Sierra, it does work with a little bit of tinkering and, as the original poster said. not everyone wants to (or needs to) splash out on CC when CS5 suits their needs perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chrisw1157653  schrieb

In response to Monika: although CS5 is not officially 'compatible' with Sierra, it does work with a little bit of tinkering and, as the original poster said. not everyone wants to (or needs to) splash out on CC when CS5 suits their needs perfectly.

CS5 works on Sierra for some people. But - and this is so important: it will only work for people who know where and how to fix the things that don't work. Unfortunately those people only come to the forum from time to time to tell everyone that CS5 and Sierra work. I've never seen one of those people to actually help someone for whom it doesn't work.

As for not wanting to splash out the money: I can completely understand that (I've been there). But then: nobody urges you to get the latest system either ...

... but well, it's free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2017 Aug 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have to get a new system, you have to get a new OS. It may not be by choice, and downgrading may not be an option. That's my situation.

Is hacking the Java version the only way to make CS5 stable on Sierra? I was able to use it shortly after setting up a new system but lately it seems to be crashing every time I try to save a file or save-as to edit a copy of a new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2018 May 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I have exactly the same problem! Worked fine for a week and then started to crash. The one ting that I have done is to add more fonts to my library.  I have tried to go back to the state when it all worked via TimeMachine but it still crashes. I have also tried the lib.bak tip and installing previous Java - nothing will change the crashing-behavior. Saving in Photoshop is working -  except a crash-report every time I quit the program. Maybe a re-install of AI will do the trick?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Illustrator CS 5 crashes when you try to save. I have noticed the following:

If I use the small window for typing the file name and for saving, Illu crashes.

If I use the large window (the one which shows the drives, the directory tree and the file lists), then I can save in the SAME directory.

If I change the location for saving, Illu crashes.

So, this helps a little bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, cured my CS5 crash on exit problem.

(OSX Sierra).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2017 Nov 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Terminal app command works for Illustrator. Is there a command for Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked to get around the locked password on terminal...Forma thank you for that link!

Running macOS High Sierra and illustrator CS5

And for those not wanting to use Terminal, double click your hard drive icon on the desktop, and navigate to Library->Application Support->Adobe->CS5ServiceManager. Click on the folder named “lib” and rename it to “lib.bak”. You may be prompted for your password on your Mac. Feel free to launch Illustrator and it should quit like it should, peacefully.

Fix Illustrator CS5 Crashing in OS X El Capitan « Schwie's Pad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont have a lib.bak file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, that worked for me. I just renamed the Folder. It is not a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2018 Mar 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing the name to lib.bak did not work.  Any other solutions? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines