• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator files will not open, get text import options

Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2011 Aug 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple posts on this forums regarding this topic, but no answers.

Our files are from Dec 2008 on a server, and when opening .ai files get this:

Picture 2.png

Choosing OK results is a blank file. The .ai files have a good looking amount of mb to them (eg: 1.9mb). The other non .ai fiels are fine.

I cannot even open the code in text wrangler, content recovery mode (shift opt command, with /enableContentRecovery 1) does not produce a _file.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

The problem was with the server and a poor configuration of compressing files. All it takes for this message to happen is for the AI headers to be missing, but the reason for this varies as mentioned by other posters.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

I had the same issues with files saved in my OneDrive cloud, even when moving them onto my desktop, I got the same error. I went into my Timemachine backups, copied a version of the file across from that to my desktop and managed to open it that way. I had to relink all the linked files in the document, but at least I didn't have to recreate the file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Hi @mahbub26000899r1ga,

Sorry about the trouble you are facing. This generally happens when the file has gotten corrupted or while opening a file from a network drive/ folder/location. Downloading the files to the desktop & working from there directly helps out in some cases. Also, sometimes files shared using google drive or similar services, or an external drive can corrupt an AI file. Sending the Illustrator file under a compressed zip file can help.

I hope it helps you out.

Thanks & Re

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @troyb79416876,

We are sorry to hear about the trouble you are facing. Many users have reported this. Downloading the files to the desktop & working from there directly helps them out. Our apps do work with network drives.

However, it involves a lot of factors that are beyond our control (https://adobe.ly/3SDLopK).

I hope it helps you out.

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I am facing the same issue and sent you files. Could you help me to fix them? Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me today! Unfortunately, moving the file did not help me. So weird. And frustrating. 😕 I've been using this file for a long time. And all of a sudden today, it's like... nope. Start over! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2022 Oct 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @SaraBequette,

Sorry to hear about this. I know how frustrating this is. This error generally pops up when the file has gotten corrupted or opened directly from a network drive/ folder. If the file size on the disk is < 1 MB, then it is corrupted and can't be recovered. If not, please share the file with us here or via DM, and we will try our best to recover it.

Looking forward to your response.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me today! Unfortunately, moving the file did not help me. So weird. And frustrating. 

I've been using this file for a long time. And all of a sudden today, it's like... nope. Start over!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @soad29090154t9cg,

I am sorry to hear about this. I hope you were able to recover the file. Would you mind confirming where the file was stored (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)? If the file was not stored locally, then I would suggest you move/ sync/ download it locally on the Desktop and see if that helps.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let us know. We will be happy to assist you.

Best,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you see if this file is recoverable please? 

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/09bc732b-f8c9-45e9-4793-773f76f1bb44

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@BenHardisty76  schrieb:

Can you see if this file is recoverable please? 

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/09bc732b-f8c9-45e9-4793-773f76f1bb44

This post is practically invisible in this messed up thread. 

@Anshul_Saini  can you please try and help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2023 Apr 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @BenHardisty76,

Thanks for sharing the file. I checked the file, and it's empty. This file seems like a proxy or alias/ shortcut file. Would you mind confirming where this file is saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System/ External HDD)?

Best,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you see if this is recoverable please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2022 Oct 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened to me just now. The thought of starting over is so overwhelming I have a migraine already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anshul_Saini  can you please try and help?

Marcel: Come up with a backup strategy. Save your files early, regularly, often. Make backups. Lots of them. Get additional disk space. An external harddisk will always be cheaper than having to recreate your file. There even are tools to help you with backups, such as Time Machine on the Mac and similar products for the PC. If you can't remember to save regularly in Illustrator, there is the free plugin Autosaviour Free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Marcel26835088zkzg,

We are sorry to hear about this. I can understand your pain. As I have mentioned above, this error generally pops up when the file has gotten corrupted as it wasn't saved/ stored properly or opened directly from a network drive/ folder.

Would you mind sharing a few details on the file which is giving this error? Where was it stored? When was the last time you opened it? Any other key detail?

Also, If the file size on the disk is < 1 MB, then it is corrupted and can't be recovered. If not, please share the file with me here or via DM, and I will try my best to recover it.

Thanks & Regards,
Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just lost a very important document the same way, Illustrator sucks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2019 Jun 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this question is marked as answered, but I was getting exactly this behavior with several SVG files. It turns out, my problem was caused by the file extension being capitalized, i.e. .SVG instead of .svg.

I spent quite a bit of time looking for an answer, so I'd like to share that info here since it was one of my top search results.

Here's the SO thread that helped me out: https://superuser.com/questions/125564/adobe-illustrator-cant-open-svg-file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Solution - I had the same issue but the problem wasn't a corrupt file or server related (since my coworker could open the file just fine). I was opening the .ai file via Adobe Bridge, and had recently updated Bridge and selected to import all preferences from the old version. Thinking that might be the issue, I uninstalled Bridge and then re-installed it, but this time without importing anything from the older version. And it worked! I was able to open the .ai in the 2020 version without issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not open this file and show the blank solve the propblem step by step...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2021 Aug 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this issue with one of my files when my tablet battery died as I was saving it.

I tried accessing the recovery data of illustrator, but nothing showed up. Luckily I use Dropbox and was able to use it's version control to restore the file. Hopefully that helps anyone that happens to have Dropbox 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issues with files saved in my OneDrive cloud, even when moving them onto my desktop, I got the same error. I went into my Timemachine backups, copied a version of the file across from that to my desktop and managed to open it that way. I had to relink all the linked files in the document, but at least I didn't have to recreate the file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pretty sure this is absolutely an issue with Dropbox or perhaps some other way you have your files backup/syncing and working in the Cloud. I had to manually go into Dropbox, download my folders and files I needed, then work locally to get them to open. I am tech-challenged so don't ask me anymore questions about this, but I know it worked. Even Dropbox claims there are these issues for MAC users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2022 Aug 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting this issue with every file I created over a week ago.

Text import options popup, click ok, the file is blank, however previews in my finder.

Just upgraded illus a week ago to 26.4.1.

Mac OS 12.5

To say I am very concerned right is an understatement.

Tried to open many files, all from the last year, to last week.

urgent help required here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, this has just started happening to me.  My files are saved in Dropbox and I was trying to open them in AI.  I kept getting the same import error message.  The reoslution is to open the file in preview on the mac first and then open it in AI, this soreted the issue for me. 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need the solution. I'm facing the problem. Is it possible to fix the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mahbub26000899r1ga,

Sorry about the trouble you are facing. This generally happens when the file has gotten corrupted or while opening a file from a network drive/ folder/location. Downloading the files to the desktop & working from there directly helps out in some cases. Also, sometimes files shared using google drive or similar services, or an external drive can corrupt an AI file. Sending the Illustrator file under a compressed zip file can help.

I hope it helps you out.

Thanks & Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

March 2023, this just happened to me as well. I think it's because we had a power cut just as my file was saving. I upload all my files to Google drive, which is what I suspect caused the file to corrupt - it was trying to upload it as my computer shut down. Luckily I was able to get an eariler version from the version history in google drive otherwise I would've lost a whole day's work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines