Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Freezing on Find Font

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2018 Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Starting a few days ago, whenever I open an Illustrator doc with a missing font - the program is freezing with a blank, white missing font window and no ability to move forward.

Anybody else?

Any fixes?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

we are tracking it here: Freeze on First File Opened if it has Missing Fonts – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

I have taken the liberty to subscribe you to the updates from UserVoice post.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

If the illustrator is stuck due to a problem with the lack of a font (Windows 10), then try installing the missing fonts first, then go to the task manager, then go into Details. Next, we find items in the list with the name "illustrator.exe" and in turn close with a pause of 10 seconds. Here you need to guess which one of the speakers is stuck, then you don't have to close all "illustrator.exe" and your open projects will be resumed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When was your last computer restart?

Which system?

Is perhaps your internet connection down?

Firewall too aggressive?

Do you use font management?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Illustrator and what operating system are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We have been waiting for your response to this query. Kindly update the discussion if the issue is resolved or you need further assistance with it.

Thanks,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem on win 10 / cc2018 AI --

work on the file on my work PC, save to cloud, run AI cc 2018 on my home machine--  AI freezes loading file on a missing font window that's white. nothing else, cant load file cant do anything. i tried turning off fonts, still same issue.

this is seriously problematic to my work flow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2018 Jun 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has your Windows on your home machine been recently updated? The latest auto-update to Windows has seemed to cause similar problems for a number of users. I am not a Windows expert but I have heard that it is possible to run a PC in compatibility mode with earlier operating systems. If possible try doing that and see if the problem persists. It may be that you will have to contact Microsoft as this could be a bug on their part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have looked online and this seems to be a common problem for many Windows users running the latest version of adobe illustrator and the latest version of windows as of June 2018.

When you open Adobe illustrator on a windows 10 machine, the program will freeze if the first file you open has missing fonts. It will only work if you create a blank file immediately when you start illustrator, then close it, and then open the desired file.

Will an Adobe staff member please reply if this problem will be resolved in the next update of illustrator?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jobutts  schrieb

I have looked online and this seems to be a common problem for many Windows users running the latest version of adobe illustrator and the latest version of windows as of June 2018.

In that case someone would have answered this thread.

In case you experience this problem, it would be nice if you can answer the questions posted in this thread.

But you might also want to post bug reports to http://illustrator.uservoice.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Greeting from Adobe!

We are sorry that you ran into this issue. Would you mind sharing a video of the workflow and a sample file? That will help us reproduce the error at our end and report to Engineering team.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. When I open this file in Illustrator I see a white box that says Missing Fonts (see attachment) and then Illustrator freezes. I'm running Windows 10 and the newest version of Illustrator (just updated to newest in CC). The only way to quit is in the task manager on my PC.

This is a PDF that I'm simply right clicking and choosing open in Illustrator on my PC.

missingfonts.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jimc86733485  schrieb

This is a PDF that I'm simply right clicking and choosing open in Illustrator on my PC.

The file hasn't been created in Illustrator, right?

oes that happen just with this PDF or also with other files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been happening with any files that fonts are missing from, created with Illustrator or InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have font management installed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2018 Dec 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Typekit installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When you open Adobe illustrator on a windows 10 machine, the program will freeze if the first file you open has missing fonts. It will only work if you create a blank file immediately when you start illustrator, then close it, and then open the desired file."

This works. It's not a fix, just an odd work around, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2019 Feb 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we are tracking it here: Freeze on First File Opened if it has Missing Fonts – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

I have taken the liberty to subscribe you to the updates from UserVoice post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If the illustrator is stuck due to a problem with the lack of a font (Windows 10), then try installing the missing fonts first, then go to the task manager, then go into Details. Next, we find items in the list with the name "illustrator.exe" and in turn close with a pause of 10 seconds. Here you need to guess which one of the speakers is stuck, then you don't have to close all "illustrator.exe" and your open projects will be resumed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines