• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Keeps Crashing on File Open

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2013 Dec 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I am trying to open a file in CC Illustrator for Windows and I continue to get the following error message. I was able to open and edit the AI file before the most recent update. Can you please help? Below is the error message. I have applied the most recent update. I have also went through the forms, may have missed something, but haven't been able to solve it through the recommendations listed. Thanks much. 

"Adobe Illustrator CC has stopped working A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."  This happens with new files and existing files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , May 24, 2015 May 24, 2015

Hello,

This strange behaviour happened to me yesterday ... illustrator CC (only) start normally but crashes immediatly on creating or opening file....

I began reinstalling the app... looking aroud forums around the world...

and then I found that post : Re: Illustrator CC crashes on creating new document, or opening existing file

where I found what to look at : THE DEFAULT PRINTER (in my case, was not powered and connected to a NAS device so was unreachable by illustrator)

I just had to CHANGE THE DE

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Hi all,

We understand how frustrating crashes can be. We have consolidated the most popular solutions that help in fixing these issues and also, how you can recover unsaved documents after a crash. Please check this help article for more details.

If you still need help, feel free to reach out, we'd be happy to help.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We can't know. you need to provide exact system info and the crash details from your event viewer.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2013 Dec 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I don’t know where to find that information. If you can help give more direction as to where to find what you need to know to help diagnose the issue, that would be very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 30, 2013 Dec 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I believe Mylenium was referring to was the Windows Event Viewer.

Depending on your version of Windows OS, one way to get to it is by going to your Start button and type "Event" within the search field. Event Viewer should be one of, if not the first, program listed.

Expand the Windows Logs node and check the Application log for any Illustrator related errors. You can select the event and choose to view the Event Properties which should be an option on the right side, in the window that appears you should be able to click the Copy button to copy the contents which could be shared here.

If you ever get a long crash log, you may wish to use Pastebin to help share the information, rather than making an extremely long post which can make a thread cumbersome to read.

Any details about the system you can share help as well, which includes things like what version of Windows OS, any service packs, how much RAM, for example.

You mention having tried things in the forum, could you provide what you have attempted and any results thereof?

Most troubleshooting without additional information would have me recommend the steps within:

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-system-errors-freezes-windows.html

Items such as preferences, new user accounts, simplified startup are especially worth trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2014 Jan 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Scott,

I have forwarded over this information to one of our network admins Jason Jones, as our system is somewhat restrictive for users.  He may or may not be contacting you all as well.  Thanks much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Scott and Jason,

Below are the details from the latest crash.  I’m sorry for the delay Scott, we’ve had some significant systems changes on our end.  Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.  I have opened a ticket with our internal help desk, so Jason can assist in solving this.  Thanks again guys.

Log Name:      Application

Source:        Application Error

Date:          1/17/2014 1:19:35 PM

Event ID:      1000

Task Category: (100)

Level:         Error

Keywords:      Classic

User:          N/A

Computer:      TCOCRPL-4PH09W1.tco.local

Description:

Faulting application name: Illustrator.exe, version: 17.0.0.260, time stamp: 0x52822426

Faulting module name: AGM.dll, version: 4.30.20.30929, time stamp: 0x5167467c

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00270287

Faulting process id: 0x1b0c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cf13c13f6294a2

Faulting application path: C:\Adobe Files\Adobe Illustrator CC\Support Files\Contents\Windows\Illustrator.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Adobe Files\Adobe Illustrator CC\Support Files\Contents\Windows\AGM.dll

Report Id: ae00f052-7fb4-11e3-a417-20689d644826

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Application Error" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>100</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-01-17T20:19:35.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>13372</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>TCOCRPL-4PH09W1.tco.local</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data>Illustrator.exe</Data>

<Data>17.0.0.260</Data>

<Data>52822426</Data>

<Data>AGM.dll</Data>

<Data>4.30.20.30929</Data>

<Data>5167467c</Data>

<Data>c0000005</Data>

<Data>00270287</Data>

<Data>1b0c</Data>

<Data>01cf13c13f6294a2</Data>

<Data>C:\Adobe Files\Adobe Illustrator CC\Support Files\Contents\Windows\Illustrator.exe</Data>

<Data>C:\Adobe Files\Adobe Illustrator CC\Support Files\Contents\Windows\AGM.dll</Data>

<Data>ae00f052-7fb4-11e3-a417-20689d644826</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 17, 2014 Jan 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lbrown,

This one could be a variety of items.

Often I'll see this error for permission issues. Others in our own forums have found that they get a similar error for default network printers and their permissions.

Any details you can provide as to steps you and your helpdesk have attempted, their results, would help us be a bit more specific but right now I'm really wondering about permissions, accounts and possibly installed printers given what others have experienced and had to change when seeing this kind of error.

Folders that your helpdesk may want to make sure have full read/write permissions would be within the AppData/Roaming/Adobe folder and all the child objects/folders within it.

Also make sure there are read/write permissions for the installation location and the presets folder within it.

When it comes to the printer, they may want to see what printer is your default, see if another works better and allows the application to work as any access denied message. Perhaps a local printer or the Adobe PDF printer. See what options are available and if changing it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2015 Apr 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got exact the same problem!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2015 Apr 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Moos,

Please share the following details:

1) AI file on which AI is crashing.

2) AI CC version.

3)

(A). WIN --- Illustrator.dmp file -- you can create this file by launching the Task Manager when AI CC displays the crash dialog and then right click on AI CC and select the option "Create Dump File". By default this file is saved at your TEMP folder.

(B). MAC -- When AI displays the Crash Reporter Window ... click on the button "Show Details" and then copy the log displayed there in another text file and send it through mail.

For Illustrator.dmp file you may use any online free transfer sites because size of this file will be >500 MB.

Share this information with ShareWithAI@adobe.com

Please do mention the forum link in the mail.

Thanks & With Best Regards,

Raghuveer Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2015 May 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

This strange behaviour happened to me yesterday ... illustrator CC (only) start normally but crashes immediatly on creating or opening file....

I began reinstalling the app... looking aroud forums around the world...

and then I found that post : Re: Illustrator CC crashes on creating new document, or opening existing file

where I found what to look at : THE DEFAULT PRINTER (in my case, was not powered and connected to a NAS device so was unreachable by illustrator)

I just had to CHANGE THE DEFAULT PRINTER to a 'non disapearing' device such as a network device can be...

whitch immediatly SOLVE my problem : Illustrator is running well...

++XA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2015 May 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Changing my default printer to something static like Microsoft XPS Document Writer solved my problem as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2016 Apr 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Where you change this setting for the printer? Inside Illustrator or in ardware settings n windows? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 02, 2016 Jun 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In devices and printers. make sure u choose a default printer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2016 Apr 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for digging up old threads. I just wanted to let everyone know that, even today, the problem still occurs. I changed the default printer to "Print to PDF' in the windows settings and it did the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, just wanted to say this problem persists FIVE YEARS LATER. This wasn't also a new issue in 2015, Illustrator has been inexplicably freezing if it can't find the default printer for the past decade or so. Good job Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insane!!! We are close to hitting the 5 year mark on this thread and it still is a working fix/problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

This also fixed my problem. 

Version 24.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spent hours looking for an answer and there it is! 

Illustrator would open with no problem, but as soon as i started to open an existing file, or even create a new file, it would just freeze and get a white screen and force to end program.

I just changed my default printer in priners and scanners to microsoft to PDF and BAM.

That did the trick. 

Thank you even 5 years later!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2015 Jul 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing deafault printer didn't help in my case, but turning off GPU did!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked for me too.. Thank you !  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case turning off the GPU (Preferences -> GPU) did the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me too thanks so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found though, that it got rid of my zoom capabilitity that I was so used to. I turned it back on while using the program and it instantly crashed. Is there a reason I can't use GPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines