Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Illustrator not responsive and system freezes

Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it is a known problem with Illustrator and macOS or not. But after a while using it, the mouse pointer stop working and I can't do anything with macOS, and I have to switch off my Mac and restart it. At least, Illustrator keeps a good journal and when I restart my computer, the file recovers well and I don't lose too much of my work.

Please let me know what kind of information about my Mac or Illustrator you would need to identify the problem. I must say that I have been using Illustrator for some time and I never encountered this type of problem. Is it possible that there is a problem with the file itself that I am using? Strange. Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018
Hello GuysI had the same problem for the last month. Today I reinstalled MacOs (I think) and that seemed to work for me. I restarted my macbook, pressed down "command" + "r" and then just reinstalled the software. I did a backup before doing this but I didn't loose any data.My Illustrater Works now perfectly fine. I even tried to make it crash (with copy and pasting lots of objects at the same time) but just the programm crashed and I could use my macbook perfectly fine.In case you are still exp...

Translate

Translate
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200, not a GTX 970.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2017 Apr 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here:

Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2017 Apr 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really thought it was just me... it freezes my mackbook pro after a few minutes. I loose everything and it is a huge headache.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2017 Apr 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, i've had to shut my macbook pro down so many times now and I've lost a lot of work!!!
Please fix this soon!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I turned off GPU Performance in Settings and it seems to help. I hope so at least

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with Illustrator without errors since I read your reply and did the same thing as you did. And for now, all is well

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Klemen! Thank you, its realy work, I turned my GPU too and Illustrator are working. But I don't know how long))

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this is a good idea to disable the graphic unit temporarily until Adobe comes up with a new version of Illustrator. I have an Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB, how can I disable it? Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017 Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can disable the GPU Performance in the settings of illustrator.

Go to prefernces> GPU Performance> Then unclick the box> then save

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this issue in 2018. with illustrator CC and OS 10.13.1. Not good. It's unusable.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2018 Feb 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.. Keeps hanging.. I thought the whole point of having CC SaaS was that these issues would be addressed with updates quickly. Makes you long for the days of pirated solutions.. Am a very light AI user, but still would appreciate a solution for this.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

farisr72161463  schrieb

Same here.. Keeps hanging.. I thought the whole point of having CC SaaS was that these issues would be addressed with updates quickly. Makes you long for the days of pirated solutions.. Am a very light AI user, but still would appreciate a solution for this.

It's not SaaS.

If you want help, please describe your system setup and what exactly is happening step by step.

And please create your own new thread, because you don't have the same problem as the thread opener, since you have at least a different version.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2018 Feb 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

"please describe your system setup":

I have Adobe Illustrator CC 22.0.1, Running on:

Mac OS High Sierra (10.13.3)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016)

Processor: 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB

"what exactly is happening step by step"

I use illustrator a bit and then it hangs my entire system. Sometimes it freezes and just keeps loading for half a minute or so, but most times it just completely freezes my system and it become unresponsive so I end up having to do a hard reboot of my system.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new thread would have been great.

I'm running the same version on a 13" Macbook 2014 and fortunately didn't make the mistake to install High Sierra on that. Runs just fine.

You could try and reset the preferences How to set preferences in Illustrator

Rebuild the OOBE folder "Unknown Server Error" when logging in to Adobe Creative Cloud

Turn off the microphone and any kind of dictation features you can find in the system

If your files are not locally served, try to work locally

If you don't have a printer, try and install one

Check all your fonts for corruption

Check all your plugins for compatibility

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

freeze issue with Illustrator and other Adobe applications after macOS update 10.12.4.

Need solution Please.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 14, 2018 Feb 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread has 39 answers. Please try them.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem where my whole machine is brought down by illustrator and I have to a hard reboot.

I'm on illustrator 8 hours a day and at times I've had to reboot my Mac 3-4 times a day because of this issue. I thought It was my Mac. I performed a clean install on Monday and started from scratch. Reinstalled the OS and all my applications. Yesterday and today it happened again. Had to do hard reboot. This is very upsetting. This is what happens when you let one company monopolize a whole industry and there's no incentive to fix issues in a timely manner.

I'm running a Mac Pro, 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5. 16 gigs of memory

Graphics card: AMD FirePro D300  - 2 GB

Ilustrator CC 2018 22.1

Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.3

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has begun to happen to me recently. Only while running Illustrator CC2018.

Here is my system

Mac Pro 2x2.4 quad-core Xeon

20 gb RAM

Illustrator CC2018, (latest)

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1gb

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 to also having this issue as recently as March 27, 2018.

Running latest Adobe Illustrator CC (22) updated with Adobe Creative Cloud on macOS High Sierra v10.13.3.

I've isolated Illustrator as the cause of gradual slow down / freeze as it doesn't occur with any other application and will happen when only Illustrator has been opened/worked in. The effect remains on the system until reboot, even after force quitting Illustrator and the Adobe Creative Cloud app.

I've tried fresh installing Illustrator, with no positive results. Memory usage seems to increase and stay increased (App Memory) after a short period with Illustrator launched.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been dealing with this for the alst several days, and watching the activity monitor, but I am now not sure if it is a Adobe CC issue or a MAC OS issue. I ahve this with more than jsut one program. But the programs appear to start using a lot more memory than they shoudl or (I think) need to. Can't see a causation by actions taken, but freezing when tryign to save almost any file. I am not a IT guy, so hard for me to analyze processes, but that is my expereince.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Customer Care for individual analysis of systems. They can log into your system.

Contact Customer Care

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s now May 2018 and no solution. I’m sitting here watching the very beautiful but useless ball going round and round spinning endlessly into nothing. So very sad that such a beautiful app much needed in the industry is not getting the fix it needs to be fully useful. Someone will eventually come up with a better programmer and bye bye AI ! There goes my work right now.   

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Guys

I had the same problem for the last month. Today I reinstalled MacOs (I think) and that seemed to work for me.

I restarted my macbook, pressed down "command" + "r" and then just reinstalled the software. I did a backup before doing this but I didn't loose any data.

My Illustrater Works now perfectly fine. I even tried to make it crash (with copy and pasting lots of objects at the same time) but just the programm crashed and I could use my macbook perfectly fine.

In case you are still experience the macbook freeze you may want to try that. I recommend a backup in advance just in case anything goes wrong.

I hope that this will help you.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I'm running the latest adobe suite. I am using a up to date pc laptop. 
was using photoshop and illustrator at the same time. Lightroom wouldn't shut down. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did a hard reboot on the computer and noticed I had a couple of updates I had missed completing and now everything is working fine. 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines