• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Illustrator Resizes on File Open

Participant ,
Jun 19, 2012 Jun 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a silly little issue, but it really bugs me! Whenever I open a file in Illustrator via double-clicking the file in Windows Explorer, Illustrator resizes its main window, as if I've hit the "Restore Down" button in the upper right corner. I then have to click "Restore Up" to expand it to fill the screen again. I'm using Illustrator CS3 and Windows XP. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 06, 2022 Aug 06, 2022

Hi, no there isn't a solution yet, just resize the window manually as suggested 10 years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 105 Replies 105
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did just update to v27.1.1 yesterday. I am not sure i want to update to OS 13.1, only because of programs not being compatible and something breaking. I am not using any apps to rearrange windows. I am using AiPF-Free i downloaded from the Adobe website for preflighting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand. It looks like we need to troubleshoot this on a live session. Please head here (https://helpx.adobe.com/support.html). The team here would be able to perform remote troubleshooting and assist you accordingly.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on v27.1.1 (2023), and there is no solution for this problem, yet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @TenTin,

We are sorry for the trouble. I checked on my end, and the Illustrator window doesn't resize on opening Ai, PDF, etc. files from Finder or within the app, even after restarting the app. It retains the last window size set by me. Would you mind resetting Illustrator preferences and seeing if that helps? If it doesn't help, would you mind confirming the OS & sharing a small screen recording demonstrating the issue? Also, please confirm if you are using the Application frame or not.

We are here to help. We just need more info.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm...it seems to be working well, Illustrator Window does not resize when opening file via double-clicking.

I'm on Windows 11, CC2023 v27.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2023 May 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi everyone
I'm not native English speaker, so sorry in advance for my English if it's not so correct.
I'm still using CS6 version of Adobe Illustrator (in 2023 )) for Windows. So I can't say how it works with newer versions.
I have faced with this issue long ago as well. It really annoys )

But it only occurs when you use regular Windows explorer (when you double-click on AI file in Windows explorer).

So if it's still relevant and maybe will be helpful for somebody, you may simply use... Adobe Bridge.

I have noticed such thing...
If one double-clicks AI file in Bridge it opens in Illustrator not resizing the Illustrator window itself. It remains maximized if it was maximized and it remains the same size if it was resized.

Maybe it needs more time to run and is not so fast as windows explorer, but you run it once and if you work with lot of files, I guess it worth to use it to avoid that issue.
Besides that Bridge has its own benefits while using it, sush as fast file filter, file rating and labeling, editing metadata, making collections, exporting multiple files, viewing and selecting files in the form of a carousel and many other features...

P.S. If such a solution has already been proposed, or it is known to everyone, then just ignore this post)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines