• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image Trace for complex drawing- losing details!

Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I have been working countless hours trying to figure this out:

I need to vectorize this palm tree without losing too much detail. When I use image trace and I select "Ignore white" it turns a much darker, more solid black. I have also played around with all of the settings in the image trace panel but nothing seems to work.

I also tried to not use "ignore white" and just delete all the white spaces manually, but when I do that I lose the white lines, which seem to be layered on top of black, creating just a solid black mass.

I can get it to an image that is OK for a large size but when I scale it down it loses a ton of detail.

So my questions are: 1. How to vectorize this drawing without losing too much detail and delete the white spaces. 2. Is there a way to scale it down and not lose detail?

Thanks a lot!

07-08-2017.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can scale up and down and not change a thing in a vector graphic.

The only problem is reproduction. Printers, plotters etc. are not capable of reproducing details below a certain size (depends on the exact method of reproduction)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Image Trace panel (Window menu > Image Trace) try lowering or increasing the Threshold setting until you get closer to the amount of detail you'd like.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2017 Aug 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeff

I have played with the threshold but when I select "ignore white" it automatically darkens all of the lines

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But like Monika said, you will lose detail when you scale it smaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I'm afraid I can tell almost immediately that your drawing will struggle to vector to a high enough standard because of the drawing size, tiny line strokes and detailing.

You could try the High Fidelity Photo tracing preset and then change the mode to Black and White and play around with the Threshold in the Image Trace Panel.

If that doesn't work, you'll most likely be left with one of 2 options; Make a compromise based on how it does vector ...or redraw the image on a larger scale and take the limitations of vectoring into consideration. (Generally use a thicker line weight and don't utilise techniques where lines will sit close together e.g. cross hatching.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SebMurtagh

I have done the high fidenilty photo in black and white and played with the threshold. The problem is when I click "ignore white" it darkens again.

I think I will have to draw the image in order to make it a more successful vector.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, you should try this:

Do not click the ignore white button and trace the image first.

Once you get the result, simply select one white color object, go to:

Select > Same > Fill Color

All white color will be selected, then click delete, it should be all work out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2017 Aug 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

selil74060827  wrote

I need to vectorize this palm tree...

Why?

In your position, I'd start to question why a vector graphic is required. I doubt it really is. I don't know how you arrived at a raster image of it in the first place, but with a good quality scan at high enough resolution, there's no reason this can't just live as a raster image for any purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI John

The reason why I want to make it a vector is because I need to place the image (black lines only) on a off-yellow background. I believe if I keep it as a raster I cannot delete the white behind it, correct?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

selil74060827  schrieb

HI John

The reason why I want to make it a vector is because I need to place the image (black lines only) on a off-yellow background. I believe if I keep it as a raster I cannot delete the white behind it, correct?

Thanks!

You could make it Multiply.

Or save it as a bitmap (1 bit image) in high resolution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2018 Jul 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my job most of the art I submit for production purposes MUST be vector. I work in the promotional product industry and nearly all the products are imprinted with vector artwork as are screen printing designs. This is why I am also here asking about keeping details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines