• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Image Trace will not trace

New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've searched for my issue but cannot find an answer to what exactly is happening. I have a png image in Illustrator, and when in Image Trace, I click "Trace". What it does is check mark "Preview" and then grays "Trace" out so that I can't click it to trace the image. I'm stuck in preview mode and cannot follow through with the image trace. Am I missing something?

TOPICS
Bug , Draw and design , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Tracing creates a live object. So it might not look like it, but maybe it has already been traced and you jut need to expand it in order to get the paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to response given by Monika, I'd recommend chekcing out help article https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/image-trace.html to know more about Image Trace in Illustrator.

You may also share the details asked by Charu if you still have issues. They will help us understand the issue better and respond accordingly.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Could you please some more information as follows

1. Which version of Illustrator are you using?

2. Which operating system are you working on Mac or Windows?

3. Is it happening on particular image or all images?

Answer to these questions will help us to guide you.

Thanks

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tracing creates a live object. So it might not look like it, but maybe it has already been traced and you jut need to expand it in order to get the paths.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. In addition to response given by Monika, I'd recommend chekcing out help article https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/image-trace.html to know more about Image Trace in Illustrator.

You may also share the details asked by Charu if you still have issues. They will help us understand the issue better and respond accordingly.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar problems to spaxton 723,  with Image Trace which is not working since the latest update. I am on a 27 inch imac os  Big SUR 11.4   When I place a jpeg document  and try to acccess Image Trace Advanced menu  the whole panel is greyed out.  I only have very simple black and white line work to trace and cannot understand what has gone wrong???? They have a comment at the bottom of the Image Trace panel asking for help to imporve Image Trace. Well I would say drop the latest update and go back to what it was doing previously when it did work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try embedding the image before the trace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By Trace, do you mean you want to trace so that you end up with a vector object? If so, I've just been experiencing the same problem as you and I'm sure the workflow to achieve this was different before. What I needed to do was Expand the image which, from what I could see, does not have a button within the Tab/Panel group - it only resides in the Object menu at the top, under Image Trace > Expand. Why it can't sit within the tab/panel group as well, I'll never know, as this is meant to make our workflow more efficient. Can we not have an Expand button, please? Why do we need to switch between menus to achieve what we want? And yes, I have left a comment at the link at the bottom of the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't updateV27.1, image trace not work, after install V27.0 is OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't updateV27.1, image trace not work, after install V27.0 is OK.

By @Ka27467497063g

Please describe what's happening, so someone might try and help you. Did you already reboot the computer, reset the preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ka27467497063g,

Thanks for reaching out. The product team is aware of this issue and currently working on a fix. This will be addressed in a future release. Would you mind upvoting this UserVoice (https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-desktop-bugs/suggestions/46047355-image-...) and adding your comment there? By doing this, you will get updates on it.

For now, you may revert to the previous version of Ai. We appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2022 Dec 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ka27467497063g,

I am glad to inform you that the issue is resolved with the Ai v27.1.1 released recently. Please update the app and let us know if the issue persists.

Thanks,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2024 Feb 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on v 28.2 i Click trace and it check the "preview" checkbox, but nothing else happen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2024 Feb 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please select the traced image and show us a screenshot that includes the layers panel (opened, so we can see what's inside)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fernando35492480uxrh_0-1708093948864.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Image Trace has worked. That is an Image Trace object. If you want to have the paths, you will need to Expand it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines