• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inner Shadow missing feature?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking for a better alternative to my current vector graphic applications, mostly to create modern web and application UI's.

So I downloaded the trial version of Illustrator CC, to see if I should make the jump to Illustrator for vector work.

After using about half a day to learn the applicaiton and do some experimentation, I was going to apply an Inner shadow to some text on a button, to make it look indented, and was like "What the.....where's the Inner Shadow Effect?".

I could see the Drop Shadow feature, and there's an Inner Glow feature (can't be offset), but that doesn't solve the problem of making shapes and text look indented.

If anyone doesn't know what I mean, just browse 'Inner Shadow' on google, it's such a fundamental feature.

• Photoshop has it.
  • InDesign has it.
  • Fireworks has it.
  • Even Sketch, the app for Mac has it. And Acorn has it as well.
  • Hell, I can even write it in CSS3:

.example {

-moz-box-shadow: inset -5px -5px #888;

-webkit-box-shadow: inset -5px -5px #888;

box-shadow: inset -5px -5px #888;

}

So I looked around the web, and realized Illustrator has no Inner Shadow feature (!!), but there are work arounds. Here's an example:

http://vectorboom.com/load/effects/innershadow/3-1-0-257

(Or this:)

http://www.webdesign.org/raster-graphics/fireworks/mastering-shadows-in-photoshop-illustrator-and-fi...

Sorry, but when you are used to applying something so fundamental as Inner Shadow, to make your shapes and texts look indented with a single click (and easily adjust it live and experiment), then it's hard to get used to Illustrator.

And when something so basic is missing, then you can only fear what else will also hinder you, as you continue to learn the application and try to make the switch.

Looking at the forum and others who have requested the same thing, and for so long, it sadly also says something about how much adobe listens to the community.

Sorry but this is a deal breaker for me, and my trial stops here.

I'm sure Illustrator can do a lot of other fancy things, but since it still havent figured out the fundamentals (shadow and indented), I'm not buying.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never noticed that Illustrator did not have one. I am so used to using both Photoshop and Illustrator when I am trying to do text design that it never occurred to me that it would be a lot nicer if I didnt have to be constantly switching programs. I suppose tho that each of the programs has its pro's and con's and if you want it all, you have to pay for it all. Marketing ploy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah Photoshop, and most other vector applications I've tried (even CSS3 stylesheet has it!).

I searched the web and found out this feature has been much requested and needed for many many years.

What I get from that, is that Adobe is not a developer that listens to it's community. And that's what I get from just using the Trial version of their latest software, Illustrator CC...there is no excuse for not having inner shadow in a vector graphics application, especially not one that's this expensive, just makes it embarrising.

Damn, I was hoping to switch to Illustrator...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree having the effect would be nice. But you can easily accomplish inner shadows with gradients.

Snap_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2013 Jul 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Scott

Was this an attempt to get easy solution points? Use a gradient?

It's not a matter of being able to achieve a certain effect. We know that you can always use a combination of multiple tools, or cumbersome steps and tweaks, or settle with inaccurate solutions, to achieve a workaround for Illustrator's lack of the InnerShadow effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe please add this feature to Illustrator CC! It's a fundamental!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

scott's working under the assumption that someone making a topic on a forum wants to achieve a particular thing. if you're just making a statement ("Illustrator has no Inner Shadow feature") it's just like, oh... who are you talking to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as far as I can tell nobody cares about the points anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> And as far as I can tell nobody cares about the points anyway.

Did you know that if you give *yourself* points, you are automatically reset to 0? (If this is not true, maybe it's a good idea to make it so 🙂

> It's a fundamental!

Inner Shadow: the Drop Shadow of 2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Jongware] wrote:

Inner Shadow: the Drop Shadow of 2013.

no. That's already the flip page effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2013 Dec 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Scott--this is the best solution available and actually very easy for basic shapes at 90º increments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thst's inner shadow on one side. when that's what you need - great, i use it some times. can it replace inner (adjustable) shadow - no. neither can inner glow, in wich you can't adjust the angle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2013 Aug 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as i can tell a nifty little Mac App named “iDraw” is the undisputed king of (even multiple) inner shadows 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2016 Jan 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. That feature is and has been missing for years, together with Bevel and Emboss. You have to use a drop shadow on a cut-out version of the shape (on a square) and then clip it with the same shape again and then multiple the resulting clipped shape. It's very annoying. Also, you can even create it with SVG Filters, but there are various issues with these filters when you export them to PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never really needed as you can use inner glow set to multiply instead.

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 8.38.25 AM.png

Although I prefer to use an appearance stack. You can control the thickness of a stroke which gives you more control, therefore I rarely use inner glow

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 8.42.12 AM.png.

Or you can use a gradient mesh

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 8.45.15 AM.png

The vector boom link had a lot of steps, extra shapes and outlined their type, I would use an appearance stack.

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 8.57.34 AM.png

I did have to use a mask to keep the shadow from going out the edge, could not find a way to make knockout group do that for me. But the type is live and less parts.

Not that much control with inner glow, and could not even duplicate the look above.

Screen Shot 2016-01-29 at 9.01.41 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inner glow isn't the same as inner shadow - it's a different effect (see your second last example). Appearance stacks - that work correctly with knockout groups - can only be used on outlined compound shapes, it doesn't work on editable text at all. This is a huge oversight for Illustrator and every single design package out there including Sketch, Fireworks, Photoshop, InDesign, iDraw (Autodesk Graphic), Pixelmator, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo can all achieve this simple effect as an effect/fx.

The best way is to use this method using outline compound shapes only (can't be used on editable text).

Dribbble - Illustrator single style live inner shadow by Herman van Boeijen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes inner glow set to multiply looks different, that was my point as to why I recommend using appearance stacks. You can keep the type live, with a mask from the transparency palette.

Would disagree on the dribble link being the best way as that outline the type. Unfortunately we cannot set a stroke to go outward on livetype and offset path on a stroke has mitering options of which I do not see any working especially on serif/ornate fonts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

off course you can use gradient mesh. you can also do it in photoshop. or paint it in real life and take a photo... or become a lead programmer in Adobe, read some blogs, for g-d's sake, and add all the features to ALL the apps. 

I am starting to consider the last one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This won't work with live text, but you can use the instructions on this page to create an inner shadow effect that you can then create a graphic style for to apply to future objects. https://dribbble.com/shots/878685-Illustrator-single-style-live-inner-shadow/attachments/95011

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must disagree, I use multiple stacked effects on LIVE type ALL the time. You must add a new stroke or fill to make it work. The default fill and stroke on text does not allow it. So I make my text layer in black and immediately add a new fill but remember to clear the black fill within character appearance. Not sure why anyone outlines fonts or adds PS effects anymore...and I use offset path on a stroke to move it outside the path and keep the gradient working. Here is an example;

type.png

Love the appearance Palette.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I posted won't work with live text because when you add a stroke to live text, even it you place it as the top layer and set it to outside, the stroke from one of the characters covers up characters next to it. The image below has two shapes using the graphic style with one overlapping the other. Below it is live text that also has the graphic style, but since text functions differently than standard objects the stroke applied to each character is overlapping the characters next to it.

LiveText.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you move the stroke under the fill? I have no problem

livestroke.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're using the inner glow effect to get the inner shadow, which works for the effect, but you can't offset it. The example I posted is using only strokes so you can create an inner stroke where the light source appears to be to the side.

OffsetShadow.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept my type live, but had to add a mask as the stroke goes half in half out on live type. You probably could use offset path, and a gradient stroke.

x.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020 still no inner shadow. It's embarrassing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines