• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is CS6 compatible with OS X El Capitan? Specifically Illustrator and Photoshop., Is CS6 compatible with OS X El Capitan? Specifically Illustrator and Photoshop.

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I update  my MacBook to OS X El Capitan, I want to make sure I'll be able to use Photoshop and Illustrator (CS6 - updating to CC is currently not an option for me). Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Hi,

Illustrator CS6 is not officially supported on OSX El Capitan.

Refer to the system requiements here: System requirements | Adobe Illustrator

-- Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 184 Replies 184
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2015 Nov 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link you provide mentions you can still purchase CS6 from Adobe, btw.  If they're still selling it they need to still support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2016 Jan 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Adobe customers who have paid quite a bit for the Adobe Creative Suite have a problem, then it should be Adobe's problem.

I bought CS2, upgraded to CS4, and finally CS4 Master Collection for Mac.  That's quite an investment.  If Photoshop and InDesign work, Illustrator CS4 should not crash on saving on my iMac. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  I knew none of this:  I bought my new iMac end of Dec 2015 with El Capitan already installed.  I installed PS CS6 from disc  (worked fine on my MacPro).  It worked at first, but without warning will not launch, as it is stuck on loading presets forever until I do a force quit.  I was never prompted to run the Java update.I am furious with Adobe.  I will not upgrade to El Capitan on my Mac Book Pro, as I need at least one functioning PS program.  I hope the java link solves part of the problem, as no other solutions for being unable to launch PS CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2016 Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌I've had to stop upgrading my Apple OS through fear of it not working well with CS6, and over time, things will get worse. Safari will eventually not work with key websites that we use, and it won't be possible to download the latest versions without upgrading OSX.

Adobe must have struggled over the years to come up with new compelling features to add to their suite of software. There's only so much photoshop, illustrator etc needs to be able to do, after which the software is in danger of getting bloated with features that not many people need or use, so I guess they had to switch to a subscription model to keep things going. I personally would have preferred to pay an annual service contract where we still get to keep our perpetual licences, and get upgrades included every year in that price. That would have achieved the same result but in a much friendlier way. We could then decide if it's worth continuing to pay, based on merit and not because we had no choice. I still live in hope that Adobe will rethink their strategy in 3 or 4 years time and come up with something that helps smaller designers / prosumers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 10, 2015 Dec 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't come across those issues (at least not yet) but I have noticed that bugs have been reduced significantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2015 Oct 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything still fully functional with no issues? Thanks for the risk!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And is the "El Capitan" upgrade worth the risk? Don't even know what I'm missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2015 Nov 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about flash cs 6 Installing in this system? I can't open flash cs 6 in El Capitan. Even though I installed flash successfully and updated Java, I opened it failed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed the new OS and all of my Adobe CS 6 WILL NOT WORK!!! Thanks Apple!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not Apple, it's Adobe.  Their developers should be ensuring that their products works with both operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this,

It does seem that Kevin from Adobe is confirming that there will be support.....

Re: Heads up on Premiere with El Capitan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Simple answer is dont buy in to Apple's repungent OS's .  every time they change something they break something..

As much as i hate Gates and his merry men , windows atleast does not require you to buy new software everytime they update Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2015 Oct 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with Elizabeth. I am seeing no problems using CS6 with El Capitan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After I installed a new version OS El Capitan, Adobe Photoshop CS6 start crashing. Adobe Illustrator cs6 work properly. I wouldnt recommend to update OS until Apple fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CS6 has the same issues that Photoshop CC has under El Capitan. Probably the same story for other CS apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since installing El Capitan I have had several nagging issues that, though not fatal, make working in CS6 annoying and time-consuming. Each person's situation is probably different. I have particular issues with InDesign. The beach ball is a constant friend these days. I have a good amount of RAM and I did not have this problem using Yosemite. When I try to export a file to pdf, it will not automatically replace the previous pdf even if it is closed. I get a message saying that I need administrator permission that I may not have. I have to trash that old pdf then when I trash it, it won't always delete. I have to quit InDesign to get a fresh start on the process of exporting my file. Also, certain photo files (not all) when placed in a document, start out looking good, but then change to a weird dithered looking version. It's as if I applied a mezzotint filter. The display performance is set at high quality but the photo looks bad. It looks fine in the pdf and prints properly but in ID, nothing gets it to look right. I did install the legacy Java update as instructed after the OSX update. Illustrator is working but is beach ball intensive. Photoshop has not presented any issues as yet, but ID is really affected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Off topic for this forum, but since you did mention InDesign https://indesignsecrets.com/topic/el-capitan-issues-with-indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I upgraded to el capitan 10.11.3 I have had multiple problems in InDesign cs6. Been running a business as I try to solve these problems:

Type menu is blank sometimes when I try to select new text. I have to type it in the font name box.

Command z does not undo. I cannot undo most of the time or only one step.

Type in type boxes constantly disappears and I have to go back to my watched menu and select black to see it.

I cannot get rid of a stroke on text which set on 0 stroke!

There is more, but that is all I can think of off top of my head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 06, 2016 Feb 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's unworkable for a professional designer 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

or (gods forbid) a student trying to learn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator CS6 (apart from having to install Java 6 first) and especially Photoshop CS6 are not working properly under El Capitan 10.11.1. I did a clean install of the OS and the CS6 applications. Illustrator does not show the preview of the path's profile; it’s a minor but nevertheless annoying glitch. Far worse however are the black preview windows and black dialog boxes in Photoshop. With these bugs it is impossible to work - I had to stick to Yosemite where everything is fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey if you can find anything on the internet where Adobe states that, please post it in this forum.  If anything it will add weight to them being in breach of published statements (statements like this posted on the internet and or via email are LEGALLY BINDING).

It borderlines on illegal as the amount of money paid for the product is considered "not fit for purpose" given the amount the User can interact with said product...  You would expect software that costs your over £500-£2600 to last more than three years, especially as Adobe pretty much dominates the Creative Market it would be concerned Unfair to the Consumer.  The only fair outcome is to upgrade everyone from CS6 to a comparable CC bundle or stand alone product for 3 years free.  All those who elected to upgrade to CC, well, sorry to say that was your choice to do so.  Adobe should take the hit for this.

It is the responsibility of Adobe to make sure their products work (or at least the vast majority of them) for ALL OS upgrades whether the End User is running OSX or Windows etc.  This is sheer LAZINESS.  I know what goes on in the world of software testing and product verification, I've led test teams in this field!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just looking at the posts in this thread makes me worry about upgrading to El Capitan ...... I wondered if anyone knows if you can install the new OS onto an external disc leaving Yosemite as it is on the main HD? I see how to make a bootable installer of El Capitan on an external drive on various sites, but that's not what I mean. I'd like to give it a try out to see how it goes with CS6 without wiping out Yosemite.... I'm sure I used to run different systems off different discs at one point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines