• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is CS6 compatible with OS X El Capitan? Specifically Illustrator and Photoshop., Is CS6 compatible with OS X El Capitan? Specifically Illustrator and Photoshop.

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I update  my MacBook to OS X El Capitan, I want to make sure I'll be able to use Photoshop and Illustrator (CS6 - updating to CC is currently not an option for me). Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Hi,

Illustrator CS6 is not officially supported on OSX El Capitan.

Refer to the system requiements here: System requirements | Adobe Illustrator

-- Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 184 Replies 184
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

El Capitan came out of beta just today. You should wait a few weeks and watch the forums. Even if there are problems they might not appear on the first day of use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2015 Oct 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too! I am in the same situation with CS6 suite. Will be checking this forum regularly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2015 Nov 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even install my CS6 suite on El Capitan. I bought the suite last year and it worked fine on Yosemite. Now I bought a new macbook pro, which comes with El capitan and the installer won't work.I tried my CDs and also downloaded the instal package from the web just to make sure my CDs are not outdated?Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 6.16.42 PM.png

Support Advisor does not exist any longer. So what now? When I try to get help i am being circle referenced to help forums, so I cannot get to talk to anyone at Adobe. It feels like I am left with this problem on my own?

Can someone please advise what to do here?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious, what version of CS6 you bought and how much did it cost you? Did you buy it from adobe directly?

If you paid what I paid and others paid for CS6 than I really feel for you because you're pretty much SOL if you want to upgrade to a new computer with new hardware and software. The forum trolls say CS6 is EOL (end of life) meaning they will not be releasing any upgrade to CS6 that will solve your problems.

Also don't expect any direct contact with any actual Adobe representatives, they just want us to go away apparently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forum trolls???

ADOBE says that CS6 will never be updated Creative Cloud now includes Creative Suite Master Collection and Design Premium features

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes....FORUM TROLL.

As stated in your attached link.

"Yes, you can still buy CS6 products by calling an Adobe call center, but why would you? The features in Creative Cloud will take your creativity further, with more ways to create, collaborate, and share.  To purchase by phone, call 800-585-0774."

Why would someone buy CS6?.......Because its a tangible piece of software that you the user own to use.

The real question is why is ADOBE, so eager to take our money for a product they refuse to no longer support?    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

People are being forced to go with software that is sold to them on a month to month basis. Something you obviously don't have to deal with since Adobe gives you subscription for being one of their groomed subjects.

I would love to see a response from an ACTUAL ADOBE EMPLOYEE! not an UN-sympathetic adobe CC puppet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you did not post from that link, and the reason I replied to your message is this line... CS6 is almost three years old, and Adobe has no plans to update it. Ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Adobe was saying a couple of years ago is that they will no longer add new features or update CS6, but that they will make sure that it continues to work with newer operating systems.  What CS6 users are saying is, I don't care about new features or updates, I just want it to work with newer operating systems.

That's not too much to ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2015 Nov 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please please please please tell me you have this in writing somewhere?????  If you do, you must post it here.  If anyone has ANY evidence from Adobe that this is what they said, then by LAW they have to support CS6 on El Capitan.  No ifs......  No buts........ it is a legal requirement that they do so or they can be taken to court and will LOSE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel you! i just lost my old macbook pro with running dreamweaver cs6. now i have a new macbook with el capitan and none of adobe's software is about to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2015 Oct 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To Monika, cyber3d and Adobe, I would say, Adobe should consider those who have used their products for years and PROACTIVELY let its non-CC customers know that it is or is not safe to upgrade. Can't Adobe do a press release either way, letting us know which will and will not run as expected? The software is post-beta and Adobe as had plenty of time during the public beta (as well as previous betas) to research this obvious concern.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2015 Oct 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I took one for the team and installed El Capitan. Once it was installed it prompted me to update Java, and everything seems to be in working order. So there's that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2015 Oct 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you actually tried using any of the programmes Elizabeth?? I think you'll find that there is SERIOUS problems with ALL the CS6 suite of programmes. Ranging from hanging Splash screens to tools and effects that won't work anymore. And yes I have updated Java and cleared caches, all to no avail. So there's that then!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heartily agree. Adobe has a duty to answer the question here and now and not leave all its customers to speculate and jeopardize their computers. Surely Adobe could chime in here with something official.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is EOL (End of Life) and is NOT being updated for new operating systems... as it says on this page Creative Cloud now includes Creative Suite Master Collection and Design Premium features

If you need to run CS6, you also need to check before you update your operating system... this is not Adobe's problem, this problem is caused by a Mac operating system update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting.  I want to encourage all CS6 users to go back to all communication from Adobe, including forums, etc. for the last few years where Adobe said that they where not trying to force people into a cloud subscription and that they will always keep CS6 working.  They will not provide UPGRADES, but they would make sure that it works with future operating systems.

If they are backing away from CS6, that would only make Adobe a liar.  I hope that's not the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2017 Oct 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I were willing to go into my Owned-Software database, i could find at least a dozen discontinued Adobe apps that they claimed they'd continue to support - then did a complete 180-degree stance within 6-8 months. Anyone who believes they'll "continue to support CS6" into the future is either naive, or inexperienced with Adobe.

Anyone remember Adobe Type Manager? Streamline? Dimensions? Persuasion? PageMill? Image Ready? Press Ready? GoLive? LiveMotion? When Adobe announced their discontinuation, they claimed they'd continue to support them. Didn't happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2015 Oct 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ummm I think you will find it IS Adobe's problem too.

Adobe CS6 came out in April 2012, Adobe CS6 comes in four primary bundles: Design Standard ($1,299), Design & Web Premium ($1,899), Production Premium ($1,899), and Master Collection ($2,599).  You can use the same figures and put a £ symbol in front of them for the price in the UK.

Do the maths......  lets say 100, 000 people purchase the master collection at $2600.  That means customers have spent $260, 000, 000 purchasing the software collection

lets say now that 1 million people have bought the stand alone product Premiere Pro CS6 for about £600 that equates to $600, 000, 000 in product sales.

All that cash generated and the Users only get 3 years use of a product which potentially cost them thousands??????  Are you for real???  Software at LEAST has a compatible life span across 5-8 years of OS changes.

The fact that you do not think this to be an issue is abhorrent!

FOR ADOBE......

Adobe, you better bloody make sure this is compatible with El Capitan!  Stop trying to screw over your customers by FORCING them into the CC range.  Not everyone in the UK has lightning fast internet (we average 4MBit in our house across 4 users with multiple devices due to living in the countryside).  Think about the User experience more than your pockets!  NOT supporting El Capitan as a final OS is practically telling us all to "bend over and take a massive reaming!"

CS6 is a very current piece of software still.  Maybe you should've held off CC range whilst there was lots of life in CS6, or better yet, run both in parallel with better enhanced versions only coming out for CC but OS support being maintained for at least 5 years (which is the rough figure in hardware and software refreshing)

Really hacked off if this will be Adobe's attitude!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more.

I have used many Adobe products over the past 20 years. The first suite I owned was Cs3 and I used it for about 6 years before deciding to switch to Cs6. Cs3 still worked great for me, I just felt that Cs6 finally had features I was willing to upgrade for.
For adobe to decide after 3 years to no longer support a product for OS upgrades is shameful.

I dealt with this same exact problem with Cs6 when upgrading to Mavericks, and Yosemite as well.

Except this time I nearly had my computer crash just from the OS install. Now I get to deal with this garbage AGAIN!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's true that CS6 is EOL with Yosemite we had all better hope our current macs keep humming.

This will be the last version that will open years and years worth of legacy files without a CC license, and all the other requirements that come along with it.

This is why ONLY offering CC license as the way forward is not a workable solution. Not good Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2015 Nov 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed! I use CS6 for client work about 4 months in the year. No way am I signing up for monthly payments for a CC subscription. Adobe has gotten greedy and then leave their CS6 and other legacy users in the lurch. Bad move. I'm not upgrading and buying a year's sub for 4 months of work. Screw that! So I'm sticking with Yosemite. When and if I get a new MAC that comes with El Capitan I'll keep this workhorse for my clients. End of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Dec 05, 2015 Dec 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly.

people saying Apple need to fix this obviously don't know much about software development. major OS X releases i.e. a revision in the first number after the first decimal point (10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11) make major changes to supported frameworks. It's incumbent on developers to stay awake to these changes and update their software to work on later OS X versions. that's how it works kids. Adobe in their (conservative and some would say greedy) wisdom have decided not to update CS6 to work with El Capitan, i don't even recall if they updated it to work with Yosemite, as I'm paying a sub for CC 2015. I'm trying to help a friend who bought a new mac that can't be anything less than El Capitan migrate her apps from earlier Mac and I'm not sure we are going to be able to keep the CS6 software and she can't afford to shell out another A$840 a year for CC.

We're looking at alternative apps like the highly reviewed Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer as AI and PS replacements for her and there's also Sketch which is a great AI alternative — especially for UI and app designers.

Frankly, Adobe are raking in the cash in a very big way on the CC suite and the features add each year are minimal and mostly trivial to many professional designer/photographers/illustrators needs. They have a new attempt at an easy masking tool in photoshop every two years and hail it as a major breakthrough then everyone forgets about it as it's not really a great improvement to Refine selection and manual methods at all. They were so bad at supporting the Mac platform that made Adobe what it is today that Steve Jobs publicly scolded them for being the last major software house not to get off carbon and go native to cocoa. They continue to code in C++ to make cross-platform development 'easier' but it has major speed compromisers for Mac users, as shown by Affinity Designer zoom speed compared to AI just for an exmaple.

It was a shame Adobe bought out Macromedia all those years ago because it made Adobe fat and lazy. Now significant challengers are coming up in the draw and photo space which is great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 06, 2015 Dec 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am talking with El Capitan CS6 users who have said that they didn't have a problem upgrading:

Is anyone using Adobe Creative Suite 6 on El Capitan? I am getting tired of…

It's weird that some people are having problems while others are not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines