• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is CS6 compatible with OS X El Capitan? Specifically Illustrator and Photoshop., Is CS6 compatible with OS X El Capitan? Specifically Illustrator and Photoshop.

New Here ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I update  my MacBook to OS X El Capitan, I want to make sure I'll be able to use Photoshop and Illustrator (CS6 - updating to CC is currently not an option for me). Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Hi,

Illustrator CS6 is not officially supported on OSX El Capitan.

Refer to the system requiements here: System requirements | Adobe Illustrator

-- Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 184 Replies 184
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I'm saying is that there is little realistic prospect of getting CS6 to run well if CC won't. Your problem with CC is serious but by the rules of Windows CANNOT be a Photoshop bug. ‌(I realise this may be hard to accept but it's a fact)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

((Continued) none if the things you describe are likely to resolve the CC issue except by hiding the real problem. taking most likely first, it is one of a driver bug, a hardware fault, or a Windows bug. Getting the latest video driver may help (this is the most likely driver candidate but not the only possibility), but of course latest does not mean bug free. Did you contact the PC maker? If they claim it's a Photoshop bug do not accept the answer.‌

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 28, 2016 Feb 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly why Adobe should now go out of business. our thousands of $$ are still working for them 2-3 years later, but they want to force everyone into the Cloud to make even more money off us. it is truly a greedy grab for Adobe, one that as you can see, if VERY unpopular for those of us who risked thousands of $$ thinking we would be able to use the CS6 for many years to come... The excuse that it's Apple's problem, not Adobe's, is LUDICROUS. Our small software company MUST continually update our apps to keep them compatible, no matter if the OS update was two days after our release or 2 years; we don't (and shouldn't) tell people "Oh, pay us MORE with a subscription for software you already BOUGHT a perpetual license to...." When we go out of business, then we can stop supporting... Adobe at the very least SHOULD HAVE GIVEN BUYERS NOTICE that Adobe would not provide support for their hugely expensive CS6 collections after a certain date; SINCE THEY DID NOT provide notice, buyers may have legal standing to SUE, imho.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any lawyers out there who want to take this on...????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SkybornStudios wrote:

Any lawyers out there who want to take this on...????

You will lose... it was YOUR choice to use El Capitan, just as it was MY choice to build a computer with Win7 instead of WinXP

Downgrade your computer to a compatible operating system and continue using CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOTICE is very important for working software....just how much notice would be a legal question for the JURY to decide....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on now folks.

The question asked is whether CS6 is compatible with El Capitan. It's not a discussion on Windows machines (el capitan is a clue here), internet security or whether people are living in the past.

Adobe software belongs to Adobe and they can support it or not as they choose. As far as I am aware, Apple give developers plenty of notice on system upgrades to give them time to get their act together, so you can't blame Apple (or Microsoft) either. This isn't even really a question for an Adobe forum.

As far as I am concerned, I have found that CS6 will work on el capitan, but not really brilliantly - and the hoops you need to jump through to make it work are tedious. I am back on mavericks because other software I use won't work on el capitan either. If anyone can better this, I would love to hear from them.

I'm sorry about Alina's problem with CC, but that isn't the question at the top of the page either. There are ways of working out the possible cause of her problem, but they are long-winded and tedious too.

So, has anyone got a useful tip on getting CS6 to work on el capitan?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much jonesu‌, I am actually looking for the same answers as you, if I could, I would revert to Mavericks but my computer came already with El Capitan and can't seem to be able to do it. CS6 works MUCH better for me than CC on El Capitan but I am still having a few issues, I was wondering what others using CS6 are doing, maybe one or two tricks will be enough to have it work on El Cap until they get their act together or they ensure CC will work flawlessly and I can move on and pay full version of it.

I am with you, hoping someone has a better clue on how to work around the flaws.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is advice from the Mac forums. Don't ask me where I got it - can't remember that far back!

1. Clean install the Mac system software on a blank drive that you can boot from. (That's why I used an external USB drive ...just in case... and backed up absolutely everything).

2. Install the old version of Java that old Adobe software etc runs on. You can find that on Apple support, called "legacy Java".

3. Clean install CS6 in chunks (if you can) and test it as you go. I didn't do this bit. I migrated instead.

Apple have dumped a huge number of useless fonts in the system (not the user) library fonts folder that might not be helping things. You can clear *most* of them out, but be very careful because Adobe (and other software) use some of them and won't function if you delete the wrong ones. There are articles explaining this if you do a search for el capitan system fonts.

That's pretty much it. I found that deleting preferences and keyboard files seemed to encourage certain things to work, but not all the time. You still get the spinning ball. I have no idea if long text passages and complex linked functions work - I'm not that kind of designer.

It's a painful job and might very well not work anyway. Please back everything up and do your own research before you do anything that I did. Then you understand the risks and can make your own mind up. I was swapping between 3 HDs and I was prepared to sacrifice one of them. You might not be!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, will research and do what seems appropriate. Good luck on your own search.

Alina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i kept Mavericks...mainly because of audio recording DAW that I was afraid to lose due to the update (Avid has of course supported their flagship and updated ProTools to support the newest OS, unlike Adobe).

That said, I have a very nice 2014 workstation with Mavericks still on it with CS6 Master Collection (27" iMac, 3.4GHz, 16GBram, 256GB Solid State boot drive, 2TB Second HDD) with tons of assets (used for Web/Video design/dev) if you are interested, as I am getting out of the business... let me know I'll give you a good price...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, I've been having a bit of success in not trying to save or place files the easy way in Illustrator CS4.  If you start all the way back in Documents and work yourself forward step by step to the directory you want, you can get a file to save often without crashing Illustrator.  That's most of the time. 

To be safe, I usually Select All, copy and place my work on an InDesign page before trying to save the file so I don't lose anything if the Illustrator crashes.  Sometimes I open Photoshop and create a new file the size of my work and paste the work there and save it in a .pdf form.  That isn't good for future changes to the work, however.

This is all tedious, and time consuming, but if there is work you must get out, I haven't found any other way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my big IF..THEN statement:

If ADOBE does not provide compatibility patches INSTEAD of TRYING TO FORCE EVERYONE WHO HAS ALREADY PAID THOUSANDS FOR MASTER COLLECTION CS6 TO THE CREATIVE CLOUD THAT NOBODY LIKES (I personally hate how they hide tools in the CC and rework menus), THEN we should organize a Class Action Lawsuit against Adobe because we want our money back for a product that does not work, PLUS damages for our lost productivity. IN ADDITION, we should BOYCOTT Adobe from now until the rest of time, including their stupid Creative Cloud they are trying to force us into. BAD BAD BAD corporate decision, Adobe, in not supporting your flagship, CS6, and attempting to force everyone to the Cloud. You need to fire the CEO/Directors that made that decision, reverse course, and support your CS6 release, AT A MINIMUM. Anything less is idiotic, especially from a PR point of view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you are at it, you also need to boycott Microsoft for dropping support for Office 97 and WinXP

When I built a new computer with Win7 I found that Office 97 would not install, so I had to buy a new Microsoft Office

CS6 is 3+ years old and will NOT be updated for new Mac or Windows operating systems

If you want to continue to use CS6 you need to FREEZE your computer at a compatible operating system

For me, that means that I will NEVER upgrade my computer from Win8.1 to Win10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just wondering if anything has changed with El Capitan/Adobe. I upgraded yesterday and have tried out many different situations with PS, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, After Effects CS6 and haven't found any problems yet. I am running a 2009 MacPro with 16Gb of Ram and lots of storage. (Used one of my internal drives to make a duplicate copy of my main hard drive that ran Snow Leopard 10.6.8 up until this point just in case.) I also installed javaforosx and AfterEffectsTrial-11.0.4-mul-AdobeUpdate because I couldn't run a few products without these. I've listed some of the things I've done below and am wondering if I am in for a rude awakening while attempting other functions within any of these programs.

Examples of what I've attempted are:

• Open old files in each program and re-save them in a test folder to see if there was any crashing from the Save As function.

• Run multiple (almost all) Filters in PS

• Tried some custom brushes in PS

• Tried Refine Edge in PS

• Tried my Wacom Pen and Palette in PS. (This was glitchy, but that might not be an Adobe thing since it's an old Wacom Tablet.)

• Placed images into Illustrator and InDesign

• Tried the eyedropper tool in PS and Illustrator

• Opened a previous animation in After Effects and rendered it out.

I did notice that the images in InDesign weren't very crisp when put in High Quality Display, but I think I remember that happening in Snow Leopard too.

Anything else I need to watch out for? Is this going to hit me later as I use the products more?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated as I'm trying to iron out any bugs over the weekend before getting back to the grindstone tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan. Sounds good so far! The only thing I can add that might help is a thing called "whitewindowworkaround.plugin" if you haven't already heard about it. This is a little plugin for photoshop that Adobe made specifically for problems with Wacom tablets. It seems to have cured a problem I had with photoshop hanging between key commands and generally not behaving well when using brush-type tools. I use an Intuos 3 and it works fine.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-menus-turn-white-mac.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks jonesu. I will look into that link. Although, I am still using a Graphire tablet. Not sure if that will work or not since it is so old. But it works for me and I'm used to it, so I will continue to use it, and not waste by just purchasing the next best thing as long as I can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't predict what may happen to all of you but I took my mid-2010 iMac to get repair at because of failure of the video card, hard drive and a few other issues that has plagued this particular iMac. I was excited when Apple replace my machine with a brand new iMac, free of charge. Unfortunately they kept my old machine, so once I returned home, immediately installed the Master Collection CS6. First it wouldn't accept the code so I installed the trail version only to find out CS6 won't work with EL Capitan. Online looking for a solution let me here. There goes $600.00 plus dollars down the drain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2016 Mar 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the EXACT dame issue with a Mid-2012. But I was able to install CS6 (there are two codes on a brand new Adobe Master Suite, the first one is a Key number that should unlock your Serial Number) at least that wad my case, I just had to unsinstall Chrome and Drive as it conflicted with my computet too much and that would cause Adobe to crash, aside from it CS6 working fine now.

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having graphical glitches in mine. Moving the brush or selections around too fast causes patches of screen panic. After I do several actions, like use the bucket tool or brush, the app suddenly stops responding to inputs. It doesn't freeze, but it doesn't let me do anything besides quit the app. Editing/drawing pictures is impossible. I'm on a 2012 Mac Pro with a GTX 970.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried every solution suggested in this thread and non of it worked for me. PS in particular will not get past the splash screen. AI is flakey.

It is disgusting that Adobe chooses not to make any comment on this thread, CS6 doesn't work as it should (and they promised it would) and they choose to ignore their customer base. I've already started using Affinity software and as soon as Publisher comes out I'm not going to use Adobe software ever again! Adobe stinks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2016 Mar 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: CS6 is just not working now. A few actions and everything stops responding (the app doesn't freeze, it just stops responding).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Illustrator CS6 is not officially supported on OSX El Capitan.

Refer to the system requiements here: System requirements | Adobe Illustrator

-- Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But it certainly should be.  Many people have invested heavily in this software, going from one upgrade to the next, and CS6, and even CS4, should be supported.  I am very much against the idea of subscription software.  If there were a CS7 or CS8 instead, I would go for it.

Even now, in Illustrator, instead of using a shortcut to get to my file, I have to start at Documents and work my way down the directories/folders until I get the the one I want or Illustrator will crash.  It's time consuming and irritating, and there should be a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm definitely with wpbpatfl here, I paid a few hundred for the full CS6 suite, and now it's totally unusable. That's ridiculous considering how many people still use it. If CS6 can be supported on Windows 10, it can be supported on El Capitan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines