• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Joining 2 lines with effect

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to join to parallel lines wih zig-zag effects so I can create a fill within the shape but I keep getting something like:

Hakeem3691205204kx_0-1713815884827.png

when I want a shape like:

Hakeem3691205204kx_1-1713815958128.png

or

Hakeem3691205204kx_2-1713816001787.png

TOPICS
Draw and design , How-to , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

It doesn't look like you did.

Object > Expand appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you expand the appearance on the zigzag line?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response. Yes I did. Is there something I should be looking for?

DobeLearner_0-1713817698897.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't look like you did.

Object > Expand appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I expanded it. It worked. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DobeLearner,

In order to join two (or more paths with Zig Zag effects applied without getting one continuous Zig Zag all the way round adapted to the segments of the path, you need to apply Object>Expand Appearance (and Ungroup). You also need that in order to change the number of waves/segments on one of the paths to have them start/end differently.

You can get the desired appearnce with the following steps:

1) Create a straight path (1 segment)  ,then apply the Zig Zag effect, then move a copy downwards, as in the first set in the image below; this is what you have at the top in your screenshot;

2) Expand both paths (and Ungroup) each path, then delete the leftmost path segment (you can just deselect and then Click the leftmost end Anchor Point with the Direct Selection Tool and press Delete), as in the second set in the image below; now the copy path is shorter;

3) Select the shorter copy path, then click one of the rightmost Reference Points in the Transform palette and increase the W value to be the same as the W value for the original path, as in the third set in the image below; this will increase the length of the copy path to match the original path length; this corresponds to what you have in the middle in your screenshot;

4) Join the two paths (you can select both paths and apply Ctrl/Cmd+J, hold Ctrl or Cmd and press J), as in the fourth set in the image below; this corresponds to what you have at the bottom in your screenshot.

Click to get closer, Click again to get closer still

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For my part you are welcome, DobeLearner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines