Exit

Layers visible in Acrobat, but not showing in Illustrator

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have several PDFs from client.

When opened in Acrobat, I can se all the layers, I can even switch them on/off, but when opened in Illustrator, there are no layers at all - just one object.

The PDF was generated in Illustrator CC 2015.3 (mac), I am opening it in actual Illustrator CC 2017 (pc).

Any help?

Vit

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 05, 2017 Apr 05, 2017

this is possible if the PDF was saved with illustrator editing capabilities turned off, but 'Create Acrobat Layers' turned on in the PDF save options. you might need to go back to the client and tell them to 'Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities'.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is possible if the PDF was saved with illustrator editing capabilities turned off, but 'Create Acrobat Layers' turned on in the PDF save options. you might need to go back to the client and tell them to 'Preserve Illustrator Editing Capabilities'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Acrobat "Layers" are not the same as layers in Illustrator.

Acrobat "layers" are a way to organize content and are actually Optional Content Groups (OCG).

Like Doug said, if the file was not saved with Illustrator Editing Capabilities, you cannot retreive the layers in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines