• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Macbook Battery Drain Using Illustrator

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I use Adobe Illustrator, my brand new MacBook Pro 16" battery drains in just a few hours. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the creative cloud, paused syncing and turned off notifications. Additionally, I use energy efficient settings on my Mac os. Since I installed Creative cloud, along with Photoshop and Illustrator, I noticed a dramatic decrease in battery life, even when their not in use. I also reset the smc and pram with no noticeable difference. Can anyone advise? I am not doing any graphic intensive work, just some simple vectors and vector patterns (no effects or filters added). My specs are 

• 2.3GHz 8‑core 9th‑generation Intel Core i9 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.8GHz
  • AMD Radeon Pro 5500M with 8GB of GDDR6 memory
  • 32GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • 1TB SSD storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2020 Jul 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. This is really unusual. Would you mind sharing version of OS & Illustrator?

Have you tried restarting your mac in safe mode and checked if it does the same?

You may also try turning off the Automatic graphics switching and see if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still awaiting assistance from someone at Adobe, it has been a month now. I've tried everything from turning WiFi off, using no external devices, and the results are always the same, I get a few hours of battery usage when using Illustrator... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2023 Mar 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

2023 and this is still an issue for me. My Macbook Pro 16" processor sounds like a jet warming up to take off. This is the only program on my system that does this. The battery life went from 29% to 9% in 20 minutes. System went back to normal by quiting Illustrator. This has gotten even worse since I updated to 27.3.1 this past week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply! I tried both options you listed. I have the latest versions of both. I turned my MacBook on at 100% battery and it showed I had about 11hrs on my battery.

when I turned mbp onwhen I turned mbp on

Once I opened AI the battery went down by more than half that amount. I turned off the auto graphics as well, no change

ai_opened_afterrestart.png

As you can see, the battery started draining at an enormous rate. I then turned it off and started in safe mode. No change. It drained almost 20% in just 30 minutes. That's crazy.

safemode.png

This was over a span of just 30 min

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fyi, the battery will stay draining, even after quitting AI, until I shut my MBP off, wait a min, and then turn it back on, a restart doesn't help, which is odd. Once I turn it back on, things return to normal, but as soon as I start AI, it happens all over again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Battery drain seems to be a general issue of specifically that machine. Have you tried other applications? What else is running?

There are hints to other apps draining the battery in Apple forums, such as Spotify, Chrome, Apple Photos - do any of those run in the background as well?

THis is the Illustrator forum. The Photoshop forum might have additional advice concerning Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried other applications with no real issues, the biggest battery drain is while using Adobe Illustrator.

I am mostly using Illustrator with nothing else open (aside from maybe Safari). I uninstalled Chrome (only use Safari), do not use Apple photos (I literally have nothing on this machine, aside from Adobe AI, Photoshop, a couple of projects and a few other apps). Spotify is not running (I turned off all app notifications and log ins).

The battery draining is exclusively while using Illustrator, but it also happens if the Adobe Creative Cloud is open. Syncing is off, and I also turned fonts off (no change). Closing CC helps some, so it's definitely Adobe related.

I do not know what else to do here, any help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone might need to log into your system and check it out. Please contact customer care.

https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey man, i thought it was just me! I just bought a new macbook pro 16 inch kitted out basically the same as yours. My processor is a little more nehanced and my SSD is 2 TB. I basically bought this machine so that I could perform tasks like this because my other laptop was so outdated. But I have literally had this machine for 3 days, it is my first time actually running Ai and I too have tried everything in this thread. The CC preferences options are minimal and vague, idk if I'm missing something there. But I have force quit Adobe CC with just Ai running and within the past hour i have already lost nearly 30% battery. If you are still responding to this thread, and if you have found any solutions, please advise. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh... sorry to hear that. Yes, it is still happening to me. Its definitely Adobe, with the need of the faster processor. If I'm just doing mundane tasks like internet usage, or, using Apple software, I get amazing battery life, but, once any Adobe app is open... the battery drains like crazy. It is quite frustrating. I have tried everything suggested and then some lol. Everything I did try to improve battery life works only when NOT using Adobe products. I have yet to contact a rep, per one of the above suggestions, but, my assumption is that, regardless of what Adobe reps said, this is normal... sadly. If/when I find the time to contact a rep, I will update this post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far, with the help from AI tech support agent MD, I unsinatlled just Illustrator, as Photoshop draining quickly appears to be normal. Once I uninstalled just AI and then reinstalled, I restarted my MBP, and things improved to a more normal rate of drain. Hopefully this helps someone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So uninstalling and reinstalling solved your problem? I have the EXACT same issue (same hardware specs). I thought it was my MBP, and contacted Apple about a replacement.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still drains about 25% per hr while using AI, but that did help some. I also installed turbo boost switcher and CleanMyMac to make optimizing things easier. It definitely is not an ideal battery drain, but the AI techs told me the power drain I was getting after reinstalling is normal, and at least now it is more tolerable 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey so this was so long ago I kind of forgot what exactly i did, but if i remember correctly there is an option for the CC app to run while any Adobe CC problems are active and I disabled that. I do not run the CC app at all though it remains on my laptop. CAUTION though, the only issue with doing this is that your apps - like Photoshop, Illustrate, etc. - will not update automatically. So as we rang in 2021 I could not run my apps until they were updated to the new 2021 version, and to do so I had to open the Adobe CC app and select all to update. However, that seems to be a once a year chore, and not having CC run has saved me a lot of battery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rather, you can continue to use the older software but new features will not automatically be there so you may end up missing out on new features and not notice until a problem arises, just make sure to always check if your software is up to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you solved your issue yet? You are not alone, I am in the exact same boat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey so this was so long ago I kind of forgot what exactly i did, but if i remember correctly there is an option for the CC app to run while any Adobe CC problems are active and I disabled that. I do not run the CC app at all though it remains on my laptop. CAUTION though, the only issue with doing this is that your apps - like Photoshop, Illustrate, etc. - will not update automatically. So as we rang in 2021 I could not run my apps until they were updated to the new 2021 version, and to do so I had to open the Adobe CC app and select all to update. However, that seems to be a once a year chore, and not having CC run has saved me a lot of battery.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having same problem. I'm using Adobe Illustrator in Surface pro. Usually I leave it on sleep after work to bring home and the next day battery barely change. But after I installed AI, it suddenly went to 0 battery overnight in sleep mode. I charged it to 100% and unplug it and notice its draining a lot more than usual to 70% battery in just 1 hour and the battery report says its 80% AI running from BG. I had to restart my pc and never touch it then it goes back to normal consumption (100 to 80% in 4 hour). Please solve this. I normally dont like to off my apps especially AI cos of how long it take to start it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% happening to me. I've never seen it deplete so fast as when I'm using Illustrator. Normally, I wouldn't need to charge for a day or more. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines