• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making a color picker style color wheel

Engaged ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to make a color picker style color wheel, somewhat like this, but with my own color selection:

Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 5.48.55 AM.png

Is there a way to do this by creating a segmented circle and then blending the colors of the segments together somehow? I want grayer colors in the center, so in fact I would have multiple segment circles of different diameters stacked on top of each other. After their interiors are blended, I would then need to blend them together radially.

Or am I going about this all wrong: should I be using lines that are gray near the center and progressively more colorful on the ends and then have Illustrator blend the space between them?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Marie,

As I (mis)understand it, you can (also):

1) Create a circle of the desired size with a white Fill;

2) Create a stroked circle at half the size with the same Stroke Weight and apply the desired basic Gradient along the stroke, obviously starting and ending with the same colour;

3) Create a circle like the one in 1), only with a readial Gradient from black to white;

4) Select 2) and 3) and make an (Opacity) Mask, then adjust the Gradient Slider to obtain the desired radial colour transi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

You can use a gradient across a stroke.

This is a 130 pt circle with a 130 pt stroke.

Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 22.03.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could use:

- the blend function as you already wrote

- freeform gradients

- gradient meshes

Which one applies, depends upon the exact nature of your design. It's not clear to me, how you imagine it to be, so maybe try all of them out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See how this one blends in the circular direction but also from the center outward?Screen Shot 2021-03-23 at 6.09.31 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your idea with blending lines should work for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a pretty vague idea, and I don't know how to execute on it. Could you explain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marie,

As I (mis)understand it, you can (also):

1) Create a circle of the desired size with a white Fill;

2) Create a stroked circle at half the size with the same Stroke Weight and apply the desired basic Gradient along the stroke, obviously starting and ending with the same colour;

3) Create a circle like the one in 1), only with a readial Gradient from black to white;

4) Select 2) and 3) and make an (Opacity) Mask, then adjust the Gradient Slider to obtain the desired radial colour transition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use a gradient across a stroke.

This is a 130 pt circle with a 130 pt stroke.

Screenshot 2021-03-23 at 22.03.39.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes! And then overlay a circle with a radial gradient in desired grey percentage (0-100% opacity) ... if that's the look you're afterr?

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 11.41.36 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines