• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing link in illustrator but appears in preview

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an annoying issue which is related to receiving .ai files from my client which has missing links. If I open the .ai file in preview (Mac) I see a full res version of the image, however if I open in illustrator theres an error and the link is missing. My client complains that I am the only supplier who cannot see these so she blames me, but I simply dont understand why or how to access the linked file. 

Any ideas how to access it without annoying my client and asking them to embed or package?

a full res preview available in 'Preview' on Mac OSXa full res preview available in 'Preview' on Mac OSXError messageError messagethe file with the missing link in illustratorthe file with the missing link in illustrator

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Preview or in Acrobat you will see the PDF part of the file, which has always the links embedded.

When you open the .ai file the files may be linked and if not provided, are reported missing.

Ask your client to package the Illustrator file to give you the linked files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get it from the PDF if you wish to. Explanation is in this video: https://youtu.be/IpDh8Y7q8yE

Only you might not want to do that in case you need to do some editing to the content (depending on the nature of the editing and the nature of the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's possible that her other suppliers don't actually need to open the files in Illustrator, and simply print the job using the PDF portion of the file as-is. Is there definitely editing that you need to do in Illustrator? You might be able to remove dielines etc by opening the file in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines