• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move tool doesn't work anymore

Advisor ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's always a surprise or ten after each CC update. This time the move tool has stopped working! I can't move anything with the move tool at all. I've tried everything that I read on this issue from a FOUR year old post, so I guess this issue is quite sticky. What's up with this ongoing problem?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you mean the selection tool?

does this mean you can't select objects? or you can select them but can't drag them around?

do other ways of moving things work? arrow keys, object > transform?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selection tool (V) is more accurate yes. I can select but not move with that tool. I have to nudge via keyboard to get things moving. I can also transforms with the selection tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm struggling to think of a circumstance where that would happen.

in 'selection and anchor display' prefs, is Object Selection by Path Only checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Doug that this is not a normal circumstance. It's possible that your preferences have corrupted. If you had "Import previous settings and preferences" checked when you did the install that is a distinct possibility.

To reset preferences:

For Macintosh Users: With Illustrator closed launch a Finder Window in column view and click on your home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the following two files and delete them: “Adobe Illustrator <Version #> Settings” (earlier versions of Illustrator might just say “Adobe Illustrator”) and “com.adobe.Illustrator.plist”. When Illustrator is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

For Windows Users:

For Windows Users: You can try the quick way of resetting on a PC which is to hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift when launching Illustrator and respond affirmatively when asked if you want to reset. There have been some recent reports that the window asking if you want to reset is not popping up but that the prefs are being reset anyway. If this works then great but if it doesn’t you may have to manually delete them.

On Windows 7 and above the preference files are hidden. To find them go to the Control Panel and open Folder Options and then click the View tab. Then select “Show hidden files and folders” or “Show hidden files, folders or drive options” in Advanced Settings (you may be able to skip the previous steps with Windows 10). Then delete (or rename) the folder at the end of this path: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator [version number]\ Settings\<Language> for any versions that you have. Make sure that Illustrator is closed when you do this. When you relaunch the program it will create  new preference files and the program will be at its default settings.

After you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, it is a really good idea to create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you can post a video or a sample file (if file specific) we might be able to able to help you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After much trying and failing to fix this problem I had to re-install the whole application. I've experienced mysterious errors with Illustrator CC before and sometimes deleting and re-installing is the only cure. After re-installment the Move tool is now working as normal.

I think it's bad how instable Adobe applications have become after the CC concept started, it's like they are using paying customers as crash test dummies instead of waiting to release new versions until they have gone trough some tests. This move tool error is not anything new, I found threads going back to 2014 on the same error but no one seems to really know why this occurs. Illustrator has become quite instable compared to how things were with CS6 and prior to that. It used to be a trusted workhorse. Same with PS by the way. After each update it's like opening a can of worms, always some bugs or features failing.

I appreciate all the good response on this forum, many times its a true lifesaver. So thanks for the input on this! It's much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. I could not find the list of files at all in the preferences folder as suggested about. Trying to reinstall for the second time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What operating system are you using? Is it a company computer or your own personal computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do one of the following:

1. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Illustrator. Your current settings are deleted.
  2. Remove or rename the AIPrefs file (Windows) or Adobe Illustrator Prefs file (Mac OS). New preferences files are created the next time you start Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ADOBE...thats the problem... only software that has stupid problems.. Its because they are using code from a program that is 30 years old. They have just built crap on top of it.. Never did they ever rebuild the software from absolutely from scratch to make it modern..... Most modern developers scrap the old code to make their software more robust and modern..NOPE not adobe.. it all works fine...and we'll juswt send out an update...Just keep sending us your money so our exec team can buy houses and vacation around the world... A;though I hear AE if finally getting some new development.. Sure they keep adding features and gizmos but never reinvent the paradigm that they created to move into the future... One example.. The icons havent changed in 30 years...those tiny little gylphs...the color picker and swatches are all the same tiny little pinner blocks... Why cant we rescale it to our own likeing? we have modern GPUs...nope..too much money..that must go to pay our stock holders...blah blah blah..... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I reset the preferences already, I unistalled the program twice. I have Illustrator 2020, and I need to submit one assignment in three days, I am really struggling.

Any other suggestion ?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have the same problem."

Please create a new thread.

Tell us your system and version

Show us the contents of your file

Tell us exactly what you are trying to do using which tool

You are not by any chance inside isolation mode, working with locked objects/layers, in perspective grid, working with snap to grid or in very high zoom level?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I HAVE THE SAME.
is frustrating
EVERYTHING WORKS,
you are getting an update and you can't work.
but if you pay it is not fair

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am facing the same problem i am not able to move any of my illustration even drag and drop. please do something about this its really frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try and close all applications. Then reboot the computer.

Then launch only Illustrator. Does it now work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue here . . . a re-install of the software did not fix the issue . . . trying a reboot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A reboot seems to have sorted the problem . . . but very inconvenient in your working day . . . would hate to have had a tight deadline for some work and this happen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines