Exit

New feature suggestion - if at all possible

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Long time user of the product, first time poster šŸ™‚
I had an idea about an option that could be incorporated into illustrator - I mean, it would be nice if it could be done. What had in mind is - is it in any way possible to make the gradient follow a guideline..? Like in the attached image, it would be very helpful if an option existed to make the gradient follow the purple line like the one in object C...
Probably not an original idea but it had to be mentioned.

Best regards...

suggestion.jpg

ā€ƒ

[ attachment inserted as inline image by moderator ]

TOPICS
Draw and design , Feature request , Tools

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Hi @Xaarnak,

These forums are peer to peer and have very little participation of Adobe staff. Feature requests are better posted at the following, this is where the Project managers visit and look at the requests

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Xaarnak,

These forums are peer to peer and have very little participation of Adobe staff. Feature requests are better posted at the following, this is where the Project managers visit and look at the requests

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/333657-illustrator-desktop-feature-requests

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much - as I pointed out, I am new in communicating šŸ™‚

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like you want to apply a gradient to a stroke.

That is possible.

Or you might be referring to freeform gradients. They exist as well.

https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/using/gradients.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like @Monika Gause wrote before:

apply the gradient on the stroke of your purple line (increase the line width beforehand)

result:

gradient_on_stroke.png

ā€ƒ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer - but actually, no, that was not my intention. I dont want concentric "layers" of gradient, but rather one that would follow the direction of the arrows in my image. The gradient would be the darkest, i.e., in the lower left part of the image, then get lighter along the length of the purple line and be the lightest in the upper left part of the curved shape...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are other modes of applying the gradient. I would suggest you just read the documentation and see for yourself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestion but what I have in mind cannot be found in the current version of illustrator. I am new in communicating about Illustrator, I am not new to the program itself, so I am aware of freeform gradients. working with mesh and other ways of applying a gradient to a shape. However, as I mentioned, this would be a new, currently not existing feature that I would love to see applied but could do without,.. nevertheless, thank you very much anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Xaarnak wrote: "ā€¦  I dont want concentric "layers" of gradient ā€¦"

Sorry, but I think you are totally wrong.

There are no "concentric gradient layers". Maybe my example wasn't the best. With the settings shown, the color gradient follows the line "from the left side of the line to the right" (Please do not take this literally.)

gradient_on_stroke_02.png

another gradient with the same settings - I changed the line a little earlier

gradient_on_stroke_03.png

@Xaarnak wrote: "ā€¦ but actually, no, that was not my intention ā€¦ but rather one that would follow the direction of the arrows in my image ā€¦"

Use the middle button - and the gradient follows your line from "top to bottom" - or better: from the beginning of the line to the end of the line. And IMHO this is what you want:

gradient_on_stroke_04.png

ā€ƒ

I think you are asking for a new feature - but this feature is already there in Illustrator!

ā€ƒ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines