Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening SVG in Illustrator

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2009 Apr 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok here's the problem.

I really need to open some Icons drawn with Inkscape (Oxygen icons for KDE 4.2, you can get them on the net) in Illustrator.

Their format is .SVG and when i open them i get the message "clipping lost on roundtrip to tiny", but thats not the main problem.

All the areas that are transparent loose their gradient, and arent transparent any more. Some other areas with blends loose the blend and so on.....

Please let me know if there is a solution. (and i already tried openeing them in Inkscape and saving as .eps or  as non-inkscape .svg but that didnt do the trick.)

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that there is a quick solution to this. Several of the items are stored as odd combinations of knockout groups and blends, so this will take deeper surgery to get it working properly and editable in AI. However, at least on my system all the content shows up with correct gradients and transparencies...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mylenium,

First of all thank you for the quick reply. First of all might i ask

what system you use ? I am currently updating my CS 3 in hope of getting

a better result. If i understand it correctly you lose the knockout

groups and blends once opening the file in illustrator and there is no

way of getting them back but by editing them per hand ?

paisleyshirt

Mylenium schrieb:

I don't think that there is a quick solution to this. Several of the items are stored as odd combinations of knockout groups and blends, so this will take deeper surgery to get it working properly and editable in AI. However, at least on my system all the content shows up with correct gradients and transparencies...

Mylenium

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Everybody ! i dont know if you guys have got hte awnser to your concerns yet but if you are facing problems with gradient loss in illustrator when you are exporting SVG into illustrator . you just need to open the gradient window from windows panel and grab the object from direct selection tool which lost its gradient. go into the gradient type box and turn it to "radical" from "linear" and the back to "linear" from "radical". Hope it will work. worked for me ! Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to bring SVG into Illustrator, it's best to open a new Illustrator file and use File > Place to bring in the SVG.

Using file > open can cause the issues you are describing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am afraid I already tried that but to no avail......

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Even am facing the same problem. Am trying to save an .ai file to svg and when i open the svg file it says 'clipping will be lost on roundtrip tp tiny'. Were u able to solve this issue? if so how?

thanks in advance.

anand

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First CS 3 does not support transparency in gradients so these transparent areas might have true transparent gradients. In CS3 you have to lower the opacity of the path which decrease the true range of the gradient and si that might explain why you are losing the attributes you desire they might not be supported.

Two there does seem to be non svg versions of the icons.

But I am downloading the svg and see if there is an improvement with CS 4.

Is this what you are looking for?

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

I got the error also on one of the files but that seems to be the work of Rapidshare not Illustrator so your answer is probably CS4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have problems using save for the web to save this though you should do a save as.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, anand

well this is a slightly different error. im encountering it when im opening

an svg in illustrator. Clipping will be lost on roundtrip means that you are

saving an .ai file with Clipping (Clipping masks) to the svg tiny format and

that it will be lost.

If you dont need the svg in tiny format use another format, like svg 1.2.

The normal SVG format supports Clipping masks and you won't loose your

clipping masks.

- Boris Bonev

2009/6/5 anandcv07 <forums@adobe.com>

Hi,

>

Even am facing the same problem. Am trying to save an .ai file to svg and

when i open the svg file it says 'clipping will be lost on roundtrip tp

tiny'. Were u able to solve this issue? if so how?

>

thanks in advance.

>

anand

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using cs6 and I donot get an issue if I keep the image the same size as created.  but as I shrink it down the drawing is not responsive as the lines become thick lines... and my question is there a way to make the svg image responsive? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2013 Nov 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the Scale Strokes and Effects box checked in Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The year is now 2014.  I am using Illustrator CC 17.0.0.  I am still having this same (original) problem: when I open an SVG file in Illustrator, even an SVG file that Illustrator itself generated and saved just minutes earlier, I get the image with my gradients all gone, my clipping masks screwed up, and several of my symbols missing.  I do not get the roundtrip to tiny business anymore (thank God); in fact, I get no error at all: Illustrator seems to think that nothing is amiss.  But I can see the image just fine in Google Chrome that Illustrator made into an SVG one minute, and then if I close Illustrator and re-open it and open the same SVG file, it will be a hot mess...  The exact same file that Illustrator generated as an SVG minutes before.

I also tried using the "place" function mentioned above (which I had never even noticed) and was hopeful it would "solve" my problem.  Nope, just screwed up in different ways this time (SVG filters that should be causing Gaussian blurs are instead turned into solid shapes, for example).  Is there really still no solution to this problem?  Isn't it a problem that this program can generate files that it subsequently cannot read correctly?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2014 Jun 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First update to the latest version of AI which is 17.1. Next there is a new check box in the SVG save dialog called Responsive which needs be unchecked. It's been brought up here before

found this esp #4

Illustrator CS6 producing corrupt SVG files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Larry, I just checked the Adobe web site-- I did not see any updates for Illustrator 17.0.0.  I saw updates for version 16, but none for version 17.  Could you point me to where you found that update??  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using 17 (AICC) check through the Creative Cloud management app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for pointing out the "Responsive" check box, that saved several of my projects!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly why you should switch to using Inkscape instead, which not only handles SVG files but even handles PDF files better than AI. I don't know why anyone would spend $30/month on software that doesn't work properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Inkscpe handles PDF files better? Above all the CMYK ones, I assume?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the logo, go to object, Clipping Mask and Release!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The year is now 2020. I encountered the same problem. I used Figma to open it. Created a group of all assets and expert it as .svg. Successfully opened the new .svg in illustrator~

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trouble shooting the same export problem with dropshadows and long shadows with gradients going back to June, 2020. Working in up-to-date Adobe Illustrator/XD Creative Suite and most current App in Zeplin. Posted issues in Zeplin and Adobe XD. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines