• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

pen tool with an asterisk

New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am quite a beginner with Illustrator. I have drawn straight and curved lines, but now my pen tool has a small asterisk and I cannot draw normal curves any more. What is this asterisk (kind of a small star), and how can I get it away?

[Spelling changed from asterix (sic) to asterisk by moderator for international translation purposes.]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "CapsLock" in the middle of the left of the keyboard keys may have been pressed. The light on the key may be lit. This changes the look of the toolbox tools you use.

Graphic Designer Educator / PrePress Consultant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer but that did not help. The CapsLock in not pressed.

SULZER CONFIDENTIAL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

meliinar34225305  wrote

Thank you for your answer but that did not help. The CapsLock in not pressed.

SULZER CONFIDENTIAL

What is the reference to "Sulzer Confidential"? Is that part of your issue with the Pen tool?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An astersisk means that you are drawing a new path.

PEN TOOL Variations and Symbol meanings | Get the Hook!!!

What OS are you on? You may need to reset your prefs, or remove/update (eg: wacom driver) any nonstandard plugins that are interfering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2020 Jan 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As @MikeGondek mentioned, this is the starting point with the pen tool. If this is showing up over a line you are trying to add points on, this means your line isn't selected. Make sure your line is selected by using the selection tool and try again. The pen tool should show up with the + or - symbol under it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So hard to draw with the crazy star. Go to AI preferences - Selection and Anchor Display, at the very bottom of the box uncheck pen tool "enable rubber bands" very frustrating when you update and it takes an hour to figure out such a simple setting. Working in Catalina 10.15.4 CC 2020. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't do anything my thing won't change I can't do anything I can't reset it turning of everything doesn't do anything nothing works how do u fix this

[reply edited by moderator] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the link that Mike posted above?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, that didn't do it.  I still can only draw lines at 45 degree angles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2024 Mar 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Joey27086139tybw  schrieb:

Nope, that didn't do it.  I still can only draw lines at 45 degree angles.

Since this doesn't help you, please create a new thread, give us your system, version and hardware info and describe the problem. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I just had this problem too and fixed it after some noodling around... so I thought it might help others if I post here.

So I am in Photoshop attempting to draw a new path with the pen tool, but the tool shows an asterisk, and doesn't link the points as it should- each point is seperate. Caps is not locked.

I went to the pen tool icon top Left, and at the bottom of the drop down theres a checkbox - 'current tool only'

I checked this box and - tada! pen tool seems to be fixed.

Last person to use Photosop on here was my teen son... so THAT's never happening again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2021 Oct 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane you saved my day.

I did the same and TADAAAA!!!! and it worked 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines