• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Previously okay file now opens with the message 'illustrator could partially read this file'

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A previously okay ai. file now opens with the message 'illustrator could partially read this file', 'we recovered as much of the file as possible, but some content might be missing'. I then open the file but all that is displayed is what is on the attached screenshot. Luckily I have a PDF I can open but this has lost all my layers. 

Is there a reason for this happening? 

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Directly saving to Dropbox might have caused it, yes. If you want to share a file, then the Adobe Cloud is the better option, although there have been issues reported with it either. Better to save to your internal hard disk and then move to whatever shared/synchronized folder you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could try a computer reboot, reset the preferences and all, but your file could be lost.

In case the file has been saved directly to a network, that can cause file corruption.

Do you have a backup?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done a computer reboot, I'll try resetting preferences. The file was saved directly to Dropbox, is that the cause of the problem? 

I have a PDF that was sent to the client so I've been able to use that, it was vector-based artwork so luckily that was fine to open up in illustrator, accept I lost all the layers. Was trying to figure out why this happened in the first place. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Directly saving to Dropbox might have caused it, yes. If you want to share a file, then the Adobe Cloud is the better option, although there have been issues reported with it either. Better to save to your internal hard disk and then move to whatever shared/synchronized folder you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines