• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems cropping a clipping mask to get pattern swatch

Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a swatch of a repeating pattern that I created.  Usually, I create a clipping mask of the repeat square, make a copy, crop any parts of the image that fall outside of the square and then drag the cropped square into my swatches.  This time, however, as soon as I hit "crop", some the detail of my image disappears.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why and I've never had this problem.  Can anyone help?  Below are pictures of what I'm talking about.  Thank you!Adobe Help 1.pngAdobe Help 2.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2017 Mar 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To create a pattern swatch, all you need to do is draw that rectangle as you would do for masking, but then apply fill and stroke "None" to it and send it to back. Then select all and drag into swatches. You don't need to crop it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response, Monika.  Maybe I'm not understanding you, but I don't think that what you write will work for me.  I have items that cross the bounding box so that I can ensure the pattern repeats (see photo)Adobe Help 3.png.  I have to crop them off somehow so that I have a perfect square.  If they aren't cropped and I try to drag the "no fill stroke" rectangle into the swatches, it drags everything and the pattern doesn't repeat.  Does this make sense?  Am I doing something wrong?  This is how I was taught by several pattern designers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need to crop your artwork.

Just put the no fill/no stroke rectangle in the back and drag everything into swatches.

And if you don't believe me: Just examine some of the default pattern library items. You will find that every single one of them has not been cropped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Monika!  That worked!  I don't know why people had told me to do that extra step. I really appreciate your help! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I make the pattern by clipping mask and drag it to swatches it has white parts around .. how to avoid this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use a clipping mask.

Instead of a clipping mask create an invisible rectangle in the back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

i liked this tip, it is amazing 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines