• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems in Windows 10 Creators Update with Fonts Installed via “Shortcut”!

Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have recently become aware of an anomaly that was introduced with the Windows 10 Creators Update affecting fonts that are installed via “shortcut.”

Most fonts are either installed by the operating system or applications directly into the C:\Windows\Fonts directory and users can install fonts into that directory by right-clicking on a font and selecting “Install.” However, Windows also offers the option to install a font but keeping the font file itself in some other location in the file system. This option is invoked by right-clicking on the font file and selecting the “Install as Shortcut” option. (Many of us use such “Shortcut” installation of fonts as a means of disciplined housekeeping for large numbers of fonts and font families!)

The anomaly is that after powering up / rebooting your system, fonts installed via “Shortcut” won't appear either in the Fonts Control Panel or in applications' font lists.

By simply rebooting your system, those installed by “Shortcut” fonts will reappear in the Fonts Control Panel and the applications' font lists. Thus, if you have any such installed by “Shortcut" fonts, you will always need to do a second boot of your computer system until Microsoft fixes this nasty bug. Alternatively, you can uninstall those particular fonts and reinstall them via the normal “Install” which places the font files themselves in the C:\Windows\Fonts directory.

Important Note — This anomaly does NOT appear to affect Typekit font synchronization in any way!

Microsoft is aware of the problem, but we have no ETA for a fix. (The July 11 Windows 10 update does not fix the problem!)

- Dov Isaacs, Principal Scientist, Adobe Systems Incorporated

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Update on the Windows 10 Creators Update Linked Font Bug

On behalf of Adobe and its customers, I officially submitted a bug report to Microsoft with regards to this serious problem.

Working closely with one of their Senior Escalation Engineers in their Windows Support organization, Microsoft was readily able to reproduce the problem exactly as I represented it to them.

Good News – Microsoft now acknowledges that this is a bug and that it will be fixed. Apparently the bug was introduced as part of m

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2017 Oct 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dov, I just want to say THANK YOU for providing this registry fix! At last something that works!

This is something Microsoft should have fixed months and months ago. I spent countless hours pulling my hair and even contacting Microsoft tech support trying to find solutions that worked. Even their level 3 technicians had NO CLUE what to do...

I just hope the next Win update does not remove my fix.

animation-thank-you.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I am not the best with computers but does this look right for the instructions?
I am just wanting some confirmation before I press OK
Lost all my fonts and cannot load CorelDraw at all and it's Sunday so been looking round the internet for last couple of hours to see if I can solve!
bug fix.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 15, 2017 Oct 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks correct in terms of mimicking the registry script I provided (why not use them directly?)!

However, the symptom fixed by this registry entry is not that of losing all fonts, but rather, only the fonts that were installed by right clicking on the font file and using the Install as Shortcut option (for which the system doesn't physically copy the font file to the Windows system font directory but rather, uses the font wherever it is located. Also, the problem occurs on alternate boots of your system. If these are not the symptoms you are seeing, then there is something else going on. However, applying this fix should not cause any damage.

Note that at Adobe we have no idea whatsoever how these font issues may or may not affect CorelDraw (which may be experiencing some other Windows 10 incompatibility issue).

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2017 Oct 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I will be contacting Corel today to see if they can help.
I had no idea how to follow the instructions other than follow the registry path.
I have left it for now as I feel there is something else going on when you cannot even see the MS fonts too.

Many thanks for the reply

Rachel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the explanation to all my font woes!!

I have just installed the Fall Creators update and can confirm my font troubles are gone!! All my fonts are suddenly back, including fonts installed as shortcuts.

I have rebooted a few times and the fonts are still there.

Yayy!! No more mysteriously vanishing fonts!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your report. Ironically, since I am travelling with only a single Windows 10 system, I was not able to install the Fall Creators Update yet (and I certainly wouldn't since if anything goes wrong, I would be without a system).

I'll confirm your findings on this list when I get to do the upgrade/update on my systems (and will remove the registry patch as well).

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am happy to tell you I have successfully updated both my PC and my Surface Tablet with the Fall Creator Update (last night) and both installed without a glitch. The fonts issue seems to finally be resolved. (it only took almost a year but it's fixed).  I have rebooted both machines several times just to make sure it is stable and without font issues and all seems to work properly.

Thanks again Dov for the previous temp fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 29, 2017 Nov 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New update today [Windows 10, version 1709, also known as the Fall Creators Update] still doesn't seem to have fixed the font issue. I am so frustrated with this font issue. Can't work like this..it's not creative at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our tests, including all three of my Windows 10 x64 systems show that the font issue is fixed in the Windows 10 1709 release. And we have similar reports from many other users that the problem was fixed.

What happens if you reinstall the fonts (as shortcut) and reboot and reboot and reboot? The problem still occurring?

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know thanks...will try rebooting a thousand times. I am using a font manager - NexusFont. Leaving fonts in it's location. I've been uninstalling and reinstalling fonts when my projects says it's missing ever since this issue occured. That has worked most times.

But I will post an update on this.. Thanks Dov!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use of a font manager throws a monkey wrench into this. Better make sure that this font manager is fully compatible with the latest Windows 10 update!!!

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally, I am definitely prepared to ditch the font manager if it's the issue.
I don't get the option to install a font as a shortcut when right clicking though. Just Install. I'd like to keep my fonts out of the system fonts folder if I can.

Thanks

- Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ability to install fonts via shortcut is an option in the Fonts Control Panel. See screen shot below:

2017-11-29_16-36-17.png

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa, didn't know that feature was there, that is awesome, Thanks so much for you help Dov!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to be of assistance. Windows (and for that matter all operating systems these days) provide wonderful labyrinths for discovering and setting options! 

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is how to install Downloaded Font and uninstall it in windows 10

1- Go to – C:\Windows\Fonts Dieectory

2- Find the desired font and click on it.

3- Search for Delete in the explorer above and select it.

Source:- https://merabheja.com/install-downloaded-font-and-uninstall-it-in-windows-10/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI: I chose not to try to fix the menu / font problem caused by the Creator's Update (1703), which affected Photoshop Elements on two of my computers, but did not affect CS5. The problem seems to have been fixed in the Fall Creator's Update (1709) and Photoshop Elements is working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll let you know after tomorrow. ME set me up for a tier 2 tech support call in the afternoon - to install 1709 I think. I'll pass along the results. But should I also ask them to remove your font fix for the spring edition (1703 I think it was) or will 1709 just overwrite the old version? If not, how do I find your fix and remove it? Thanks for all. Pete

Sent from MailDroid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look earlier in this thread (via web browser) and you will find the registry file (and contents) for removing the fix for the 1703 Windows version.

- Dov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines